Page 1 of 1 [ 10 posts ] 

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

27 Aug 2012, 12:40 am

I have never used that stuff before nor have I ever cleaned an oven. Ours was filthy so it needed to be done before we move. I got some oven cleaning stuff at The Dollar Tree. Today, I follow the directions except for the laying out newspaper part since we didn't have any. I spray it on the oven door and inside and boy that stuff is toxic. it waft in the air and I started coughing. Then it got into the dining room and my son started to cough too so I got worried he was going to die so I took him into his bedroom and shut the door and I opened the dining room window to let it out. But it was so strong, it felt like I was in a gas chamber so I go into my son's bedroom and stay in there with him for about ten minutes. Then I came out and saw it was much better but it was still strong for my nose and lunges. So I put on a air filter mask. Much better. I had to keep directing my son into the living room as I cleaned out the oven. I didn't want him breathing in that stuff. Then I took it off when the chemicals died off in the air and I got most of them oven clean. Not all of the burnt stuff came out but no way was I going to use that stuff again.

I post about it on Facebook and I got told you need to open windows and stuff. The directions never said such a thing. Another person said I have to put the stuff in and go on a holiday.

I swear it felt like I was in a gas chamber but at least the oven looks good and nearly clean. I think I am going to try fume free next time as my old teacher suggested on my facebook. Or try natural cleaner.

Daughter: NT, no diagnoses.

Moonhawk
Veteran
Veteran

27 Aug 2012, 1:05 am

My mom always uses those rough sponge thingies for oven cleaning, i don't think she's ever used a spray, sounds like quite an adventure though cleaning the oven :o

johnny77
Veteran
Veteran

27 Aug 2012, 1:16 am

Yes the spray is pretty harsh spay quick close the oven door have windows and doors open wait out side 5 minutes for it to work then rush in hold you breath use paper towels have a bag handy to throw then in then tie the bag as soon as your done let the kitchen air out at lest an hour and don't for the get gloves. Meanwhile the direction say spray what five minutes wipe. Leaves a clean fresh smelling oven Ha Ha.
Can you tell Ive used it before.

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

27 Aug 2012, 1:25 am

I'm guessing the reason why the directions are not thorough is because they expect you to use common sense. Oh well, you learn from experience. Now I know since that stuff is very strong, have my son out of the room and out of sight, wait until the right time to do it, wear a air filter mask, open all the windows before using it. Then close it and leave and wait ten minutes and come back and clean.

Misslizard
Veteran
Veteran

27 Aug 2012, 11:26 am

That stuff can be really toxic to animals,especially birds.REMOVE all pets from house.Teflon skillets will also kill birds if they are overheated and release the gases.Go natural if possible,check at a natural foods store for alternatives.

OliveOilMom
Veteran
Veteran

27 Aug 2012, 2:59 pm

What I do is hold my breath, spray it in the oven, shut the door go in the other room, take another deep breath, come back, spray more etc until it's all coated in there. Keep the oven door shut. It's not bad when wiping it out. I let mine sit overnight though so all the fumes are basically gone.

The link to the forum is http://www.rightplanet.proboards.com

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

27 Aug 2012, 3:05 pm

OliveOilMom wrote:
What I do is hold my breath, spray it in the oven, shut the door go in the other room, take another deep breath, come back, spray more etc until it's all coated in there. Keep the oven door shut. It's not bad when wiping it out. I let mine sit overnight though so all the fumes are basically gone.

But doesn't the cleaning stuff dry?

The air filter mask worked.

xmh
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

27 Aug 2012, 3:11 pm

Looking at a bottle of "Fume Free" oven cleaner it still states that it should be used in a well ventilated area.

I would have preferred one that emitted lots of harmful fumes, that managed to get the oven clean.

OliveOilMom
Veteran
Veteran

27 Aug 2012, 4:05 pm

League_Girl wrote:
OliveOilMom wrote:

But doesn't the cleaning stuff dry?

The air filter mask worked.

I use a wet sponge and the stuff wipes right off. You coat it pretty well first.

The link to the forum is http://www.rightplanet.proboards.com

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

27 Aug 2012, 5:30 pm

I found out the fume free doesn't work as well. I wonder if baking soda with water will work?