Page 1 of 1 [ 3 posts ] 

Merceile
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

21 Sep 2012, 10:36 am

Usually you give a small present when you are invited somewhere, mostly when you actually stay somewhere a few days.

So I got chocolate today, actually really really really bad foreign chocolate. So maybe I am a chocolate-snob - but hey I'm swiss. So isn't i ridiculous to give a swiss friend bad chocolate? Or even foreign chocolate at all? (gift giver was obviously not swiss)

Like bringing owls to athens or however the saying was :?:

I am quite sure he ment well, or at least just didn't care much.. so no insult implied.. ok maybe I am not so sure about that *hm*

Well maybe I shouldn't say much, because I often give chocolate as well when I visit friends in other countries - but that is kind of expected when you are swiss. That or swiss army knives if you want to impress :lol:

OliveOilMom
Veteran
Veteran

21 Sep 2012, 10:57 am

Don't forget cheese with holes in it ;-)

He probably gave you something that he liked or that he thought you would like. If he's not a big chocolate fan, then your tastes may be very different. I'm not a huge wine connosiour (sp?) so I try not to give wine as a gift to someone who is a big wine drinker or if I do I'll get a mid priced bottle of Merlot because thats what I like. Someone who knows about wine may feel about that like you feel about the chocolate. Does he know you are a "chocolate snob", and if so do you think he may have thought what he got you was good?

Look at it like this, imagine a person who knows nothing at all about wine and doesn't know there is really anything to know about wine. The guy is going to someones house for dinner and knows the friend drinks wine and although he has never bought any wine before or even drank it much, he goes to the grocery store and looks at the bottles and picks it out based on how pretty the label is and what he can afford. So he shows up with a $5 bottle of Boone's Farm Tickle Pink. To a wine snob's house for dinner. He didn't know any better. So, thats probably what this situation is like.

I wouldn't take offense, he obviously tried to do the polite thing.

The link to the forum is http://www.rightplanet.proboards.com

Prof_Pretorius
Veteran
Veteran

21 Sep 2012, 3:54 pm

Merceile wrote:
Usually you give a small present when you are invited somewhere, mostly when you actually stay somewhere a few days.

So I got chocolate today, actually really really really bad foreign chocolate. So maybe I am a chocolate-snob - but hey I'm swiss. So isn't i ridiculous to give a swiss friend bad chocolate? Or even foreign chocolate at all? (gift giver was obviously not swiss)

Like bringing owls to athens or however the saying was :?:

I was about to make a joke here, but i'd rather not get booted.