Page 1 of 13 [ 195 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 13  Next

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

16 Sep 2012, 2:17 am

Yeah so the other day I was talking to my brother, and he informed me some people seriously have no idea what a VHS is. I am kind of assuming he was talking to people born in 2001 or later. Its just weird, makes me feel old knowing that some people have never seen let alone used a VHS....I have quite a few and even a VHS player, not sure they even make them anymore. I remember when I thought the idea of a DVD sounded really technologically advanced I think my reaction was basically 'what they are going to put movies in CD form?', and now you don't even need physical copies of movies to watch them.

Tequila
Veteran
Veteran

16 Sep 2012, 2:21 am

Haven't used one in ages, but definitely know what one is. Made sure I got rid of my VHS tapes around ten years ago.

1000Knives
Veteran
Veteran

16 Sep 2012, 2:25 am

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

16 Sep 2012, 2:29 am

1000Knives wrote:

Unless there have been no births since 2001 I imagine so :lol:

I never had a portable tape player, but based on that article the portable CD players were not much better and those things would skip if exposed to any bumps when walking or riding the bus or in a car.

Last edited by Sweetleaf on 16 Sep 2012, 2:33 am, edited 1 time in total.

CSBurks
Veteran
Veteran

16 Sep 2012, 2:29 am

Hell, I remember cassette tapes.

Aprilviolets
Veteran
Veteran

16 Sep 2012, 2:30 am

I have a Dvd and video in one so I can still play my VHS tapes although I play my DVD's more.

It makes me feel old when people don't know what a Record is.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

16 Sep 2012, 2:38 am

Aprilviolets wrote:
I have a Dvd and video in one so I can still play my VHS tapes although I play my DVD's more.

It makes me feel old when people don't know what a Record is.

Records are awesome, I usually always look for them at thrift stores....its intresting they still make records sometimes, like a lot of metal bands I listen to have some albums released on records out but I haven't heard of any new cassette tapes. I guess vinyls are a cooler vintage item or something.

Albirea
Veteran
Veteran

Location: Cannot be determined due to excessive knowledge of momentum

16 Sep 2012, 2:40 am

I remember recording radio songs and TV shows on cassettes and tapes. I still have them at home. :lol:

1000Knives
Veteran
Veteran

16 Sep 2012, 2:48 am

Sweetleaf wrote:
1000Knives wrote:

Unless there have been no births since 2001 I imagine so :lol:

I never had a portable tape player, but based on that article the portable CD players were not much better and those things would skip if exposed to any bumps when walking or riding the bus or in a car.

I was socially awkward as hell in high school and used a portable tape player circa 2006. My CD player would always skip, tape player NEVER skipped. I'd just burn CDs and then record them to tapes on the stereo. Also, I'd make tapes to listen to in the car, too, no CD players in any of my mom's car but her most recent ones. I didn't get my own mp3 player until 2008. I have to say I like cassette tapes, just for being a relatively durable medium. CDs in theory can last longer, but in practice cassettes last longer. The tape stretches and stuff over time, it does degrade, but you can throw a cassette in a moving box and have it come out the same years later. Maybe if CDs came in caddies like originally planned, then that'd have changed.

EDIT: I also own about a hundred records, too. I really wish I could get some italodisco records, though, that'd be positively fantastic, but the only place I'd be able to find those cheap is Italy or Japan. Otherwise, people are willing to shell out a lot for them, because italo is awesome.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/TRACY-SPENCER-R ... 23224febbb
Like that, so torturous. I also gotta get a needle for my good turntable and another amp. Fuuu.

equestriatola
Veteran
Veteran

Location: Half of me is in the Washington state, the other Los Angeles.

16 Sep 2012, 2:56 am

Eeyupp. I used cassettes for, like many years.

The Canadian Football League - What We're Made Of

Feel free to talk to me, if you wish. :)

Every day is a gift- cherish it!

"A true, true friend helps a friend in need."

IdahoRose
Veteran
Veteran

16 Sep 2012, 3:08 am

I remember watching VHS tapes. In fact, I saw a tape of Edward Scissorhands at the thrift store earlier this year. I didn't buy it because I already have the DVD, but in retrospect it would have made a nice collector's item.

1000Knives
Veteran
Veteran

16 Sep 2012, 3:16 am

*Has taped TV programs as late as 2009.*

Aprilviolets
Veteran
Veteran

16 Sep 2012, 3:26 am

Albirea wrote:
I remember recording radio songs and TV shows on cassettes and tapes. I still have them at home. :lol:

I used to do that too before videos came out I put the cassette recorder up against the speaker of the TV to tape anything I still have them but I haven't played them for a while probably because they might not be any good now.

outofplace
Veteran
Veteran

16 Sep 2012, 3:44 am

My last new vehicle came with a cassette deck. It was built in 1998 and yep... I was driving it today.

VMSmith
Veteran
Veteran

16 Sep 2012, 4:10 am

who doesnt remember videos? i love those things and i still maintain dvds were a stupid idea. they scratch so easily and get stuck in the machine all the time! do videos scratch? do they get stuck in the machine and have to be prised out with kitchen utencils? noooo. theyre easier to rewind too. i have a few videos and a vcr player because a man in a graveyard gave them to me but i cant play anything on it because he didnt give me the necessary cords to make it function.

KyleTheGhost
Veteran
Veteran

16 Sep 2012, 5:12 am

Yes, I remember what a VHS is. Every since my old TV with a built-in VCR died last year, I don't use VHSs anymore. Only DVD and Blu-ray now.

One of these days, people are going to say, 'What is a VHS?'