Big into Fantasy stuff? Want to talk about it?

Page 1 of 2 [ 32 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Favorite Creature
Dragon 59%  59%  [ 10 ]
Unicorn 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Gryphon 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Pheonix 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Sphinx 6%  6%  [ 1 ]
Humanoids (Elves and Dwarves) 24%  24%  [ 4 ]
Kraken 12%  12%  [ 2 ]
Total votes : 17

HereBeDragons
Veteran
Veteran

28 Sep 2012, 4:18 pm

One of my special interests is DRAGONS! :D No greater joy for me. But other fantasy stuff is cool too.

This is for people who want to talk about books, movies, television, art, D&Ds, anything that has the fantasy element in it.

Moonhawk
Veteran
Veteran

29 Sep 2012, 1:07 am

Have you ever read The Axis Trilogy by Sara Douglass :D? It features other fantasy humanoids, i liked it a lot myself, sadly enough the writer Sara Douglass passed away on 27 September 2011, but she did write more books that i'm trying to collect right now, even a follow up book series :) I like the Axis Trilogy a lot, it doesn't have dragons though, and telling anything more would spoil the book xD

HereBeDragons
Veteran
Veteran

29 Sep 2012, 3:33 pm

I've not read that. The most recent thing I've read with lots of elves and dwarves is E.E. Knight's Age of Fire series. It's about three dragons (of course), and how they survive in a world of humans, elves, dwarves, and blighters (a sort of intelligent bigfoot creature).

Irulan
Veteran
Veteran

29 Sep 2012, 3:44 pm

Do you like the Dragon Cave? :) :D http://dragcave.net/ I used to be into it, some years ago :)

Tensu
Veteran
Veteran

29 Sep 2012, 10:15 pm

My all-time favorite video game is Breath of Fire III. It's about a shapeshifter with the power to assume a menagerie of different dragon forms trying to find out what happened to his people. The story really hit home for me because they way everyone tries to take his power away from him reminds me of how everyone tried to "cure" me of the various conditions I've been diagnosed with.

I've always been a big mythology fan, and I've always liked dragons and shapeshifters in particular.

HereBeDragons
Veteran
Veteran

02 Oct 2012, 4:53 pm

Irulan wrote:
Do you like the Dragon Cave? :) :D http://dragcave.net/ I used to be into it, some years ago :)

I am unfamiliar with the Dragon Cave. If it is a sort of game on the internet, that explains it. I'm not a big internet game player.

Something I used to play was War of the Monsters on playstation. You choose a monster and proceed to fight each other or the computer in a modern-day city. I was always the dragon of course. One of the best things to do was fling a gasoline truck at each other (massive explosion).
One thing I would like to try is Ego Draconis. It's an X-box game about a human/dragon shapeshifter.

MakaylaTheAspie
Veteran
Veteran

Location: O'er the land of the so-called free and the home of the self-proclaimed brave. (Oregon)

02 Oct 2012, 4:59 pm

I'll have to keep an eye on this thread.

Irulan
Veteran
Veteran

03 Oct 2012, 8:09 am

Not a game as such; you pick up dragon eggs and get people to click on them and later a baby dragon hatches from them, if the egg got enough clicks. Later you can breed you dragons. You can give them names and the like.

HereBeDragons
Veteran
Veteran

03 Oct 2012, 5:13 pm

I played Neopets when I was younger, had a cute little dragon creature. But after a few years, it got boring, so I stopped.

Civ001
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

04 Oct 2012, 12:08 am

One thing I want to see more in fantasy is "East vs West" where basically you take all the stuff in western fantasy such as: Elves, Dwarves, your basic tolkien like humans, Orks, and just everything related to what you see in most High fantasy vs things like Martial arts, Samurai, Warlords and so on. The only book I know of that does this is Raymond E. Fiest Riftwar Saga.

Mummy_of_Peanut
Veteran
Veteran

04 Oct 2012, 5:00 am

I'm really into fantasy art. I have pictures of dragons with seductive elf-like ladies and unicorns. Dragons are winning. I'd love to be able to produce some of my own, but so far it's just fantasy landscapes, no creatures yet. I have a growing collection of fantasy ornaments too (neatly presented in a display cabinet).

AspieOtaku
Veteran
Veteran

04 Oct 2012, 10:50 am

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iKdwmJ65Hp0[/youtube]

No matter where I go I will always be a Gaijin even at home. Like Anime? https://kissanime.to/AnimeList

HereBeDragons
Veteran
Veteran

05 Oct 2012, 4:10 pm

Civ001 wrote:
One thing I want to see more in fantasy is "East vs West" where basically you take all the stuff in western fantasy such as: Elves, Dwarves, your basic tolkien like humans, Orks, and just everything related to what you see in most High fantasy vs things like Martial arts, Samurai, Warlords and so on. The only book I know of that does this is Raymond E. Fiest Riftwar Saga.

I'd like to see more of that too. East dragons vs. West, knights vs. samurai, and monsters of the West vs. spirits of the East. I shall have to look up this Raymond E. Fiest and his Riftwar Saga.

Tensu
Veteran
Veteran

09 Oct 2012, 10:52 pm

HereBeDragons wrote:
Civ001 wrote:

I'd like to see more of that too. East dragons vs. West, knights vs. samurai, and monsters of the West vs. spirits of the East. I shall have to look up this Raymond E. Fiest and his Riftwar Saga.

Knights would totally own.

HereBeDragons
Veteran
Veteran

10 Oct 2012, 2:11 pm

I agree. They have better armor and a greater varitey of weapons.

Tensu
Veteran
Veteran

10 Oct 2012, 8:46 pm

Plus, from what I understand, Samurai parrying techniques assume your opponent will attack by slashing.

Takes me back to some debates I've had on this topic:

Me: (questions wether the "mystical" special moves allegedly used by samurai actually exist)
Opponent: (Describes a parrying technique for slashing attacks)
Me: That only works if your opponent attacks by slashing. Knights swords kill by thrusting. They were swung primarily to knock opponents down or knock their weapons/shields out of the way.
Opponent: Actually Knight swords kill by bludgeoning. (<WTF?) The only time knights are depecting thrusting in medieval manuscripts is in dramatic executions.
Me: So you're saying the only time Knights thrusted is when they were killing someone.