Do you try to be a lifelong learner?

Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 

bee33
Veteran
Veteran

15 Apr 2024, 9:41 pm

I have a friend who studies something every day, and he is very knowledgeable about all kinds of things, like ancient history, astronomy, physics, philosophy. I feel like maybe I should try to do that too, but at best I'll watch a documentary on YouTube about the Romans or the Minoans, or about consciousness. This is better than nothing, but I think I might be too unmotivated to do better. Do you try to learn new things?

Raleigh
Veteran
Veteran

15 Apr 2024, 10:16 pm

I like to constantly learn new things.
It keeps the mind active.
Unfortunately, I have a dismal memory, so only a small portion of the information is actually retained.

TwilightPrincess
Veteran
Veteran

15 Apr 2024, 10:33 pm

I like to study topics related to special interests. I’ve attained a reading level in French and Spanish studying on my own. I’ve also read entire textbooks related to art history, philosophy, and classical music. I’ve watched Yale courses on YouTube on topics that interest me as well. I like the idea of being a lifelong learner, but I mostly just get extremely fascinated by certain topics which makes me very eager/almost desperate to study them.

bee33
Veteran
Veteran

15 Apr 2024, 10:40 pm

^ I can see how becoming interested in something and learning a bit about it can lead to wanting to discover more about that subject. If I'm trying to find something out I can do quite a deep dive, though that hasn't really happened with me recently. I've also found that reading or watching documentaries about some topic I've already read or watched is helpful to get more information on the subject and fill in the gaps. And when I already know a bit about it it's easier to retain new information.

BTDT
Veteran
Veteran

15 Apr 2024, 10:43 pm

Yes, I constantly learn new things.
Today my project was working on the garden hoses around the house.
Did some research to avoid having dissimilar metal issues corroding the hose fittings.

Ten years ago I learned how to cook.
Then I learned how to alter my clothes with sewing machines.
A couple years ago I started learning how to play golf! Now I'm learning to hit the ball farther.

I may start traveling again to visit new golf courses!