Page 1 of 87 [ 1385 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 87  Next

Rossall
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jun 2023, 12:04 pm

I drink about 8 cans a day and have been warned about it by my GP. I have always liked a drink but it got worse due to bad neighbours about 10 years ago.

Post your experiences here and let's all help each other beat the booze.

Interests: music (especially 80s), computers, electronics, amateur radio, soccer (Liverpool).

babybird
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jun 2023, 12:26 pm

Nice thread Rossall. It should be made a sticky.

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jun 2023, 3:23 pm

Rossall wrote:
I drink about 8 cans a day and have been warned about it by my GP. I have always liked a drink but it got worse due to bad neighbours about 10 years ago.

Post your experiences here and let's all help each other beat the booze.

Your neighbours force 8 cans a day down your throat? I mean, at least they're generous with their money I guess - alcohol is very expesnsive! - that's very neighbourly of them.

babybird
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jun 2023, 3:36 pm

When I was at my worst I used to drink cans of lager all day and then at the night time I would get on the red wine. Sometimes I could get through 3 bottles a night. Not good.

It was a really dark time of my life. I had lost my daughter, was as good as homeless and I just hid myself away from the world and drank. I mean there's not much more to say about it. It was sh*t.

I still drink nowadays but socially. I don't see anything wrong with a few beers on a night out. Well not for me at least.

mrpieceofwork
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jun 2023, 3:38 pm

This is much harder than it sounds, I know, (I went through "the entire list" of family and friends to find who I could trust to help me, but no one "fit the bill") but if you truly wish to stop drinking (or curtail it to a degree to where it's not a problem to NOT have it) you must surround yourself with people who DO NOT drink. I understand how this may not be possible RIGHT NOW, but the next step is to KNOW you DO want to quit. That said, good luck, and great idea for a thread.

My text only website
https://rawtext.club/~mrpieceofwork/
"Imagine Life Without Money"

WilliamK1997
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

15 Jun 2023, 3:45 pm

There’s no way I can relax and distract myself easily without wine. I’m not addicted but I’m drinking a bottle of Jamaican magnum wine every other day.

babybird
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jun 2023, 3:45 pm

I reckon it's one of the most difficult addictions to quit. Simply because it's cheap and legal and socially acceptable (to a degree).

The turning point for me was investing in a treadmill. I just started running instead of drinking.

mrpieceofwork
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jun 2023, 3:56 pm

I guess I block this part out... me getting the shakes was one of the major reasons I started down the path to sobriety. If that hadn't happened to me, I am sure I not be here now to type this out. DO refer to your GP as much as is possible through this, because if you really are drinking that much, your body is not going to like you going "cold turkey". This is how insidious alcohol is. Do take care.

My text only website
https://rawtext.club/~mrpieceofwork/
"Imagine Life Without Money"

Fairfield
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jun 2023, 4:01 pm

I have a problem with alcohol. I can't really be around it and not drink. I also tend to try to "get rid of" (AKA just an idiotic excuse to binge drink and/or drink for days) any alcohol I have, I can't just let some lay around for awhile. Sometimes I'll buy vodka and I can drink a pint throughout the day. I don't ever get super drunk though, (unless it's night time, I'm by myself and I'm really depressed) I just kind of keep up enough of a buzz to feel less sh***y and lower my anxiety. At one point I started getting drunk immediately in the morning and going places drunk, and I made myself really sick so I've tried to lower the amount and how often I drink. Now I usually just buy beer and try to get myself to keep it to 2-3 beers later in the day.

babybird
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jun 2023, 4:29 pm

WilliamK1997 wrote:
There’s no way I can relax and distract myself easily without wine. I’m not addicted but I’m drinking a bottle of Jamaican magnum wine every other day.

Just looked that up. It packs a bit of a punch.

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jun 2023, 4:30 pm

I don't tend to get heavily drunk, but I struggle a bit with not drinking.

I've been a little better disciplined since I've started treating every time I don't buy booze as an excuse to save money for goalie gear, but it's not enough to completely maintain discipline.

What worries me is that when I drink, it's never 1 or 2 drinks, it's always like >5 spaced out over 4-8 hours. Even if I don't become drunk, it's still more than one should drink. Well that and how easy it is to day-drink to deal with boredom.

I'm pretty sure I've bought at least a third of the Spirytus my local liquor store sells. :oops:

"If you stick a knife in my back 9 inches and pull it out 6 inches, there's no progress. If you pull it all the way out, that's not progress. The progress is healing the wound that the blow made... and they won't even admit the knife is there." Malcolm X
戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

WilliamK1997

15 Jun 2023, 4:32 pm

babybird wrote:
WilliamK1997 wrote:

Just looked that up. It packs a bit of a punch.

And it’s a tiny bottle and not a large beer can, drink it in one go and it doesn’t taste bad it’s sweet.

WilliamK1997

15 Jun 2023, 4:39 pm

funeralxempire wrote:

I've been a little better disciplined since I've started treating every time I don't buy booze as an excuse to save money for goalie gear, but it's not enough to completely maintain discipline.

What worries me is that when I drink, it's never 1 or 2 drinks, it's always like >5 spaced out over 4-8 hours. Even if I don't become drunk, it's still more than one should drink. Well that and how easy it is to day-drink to deal with boredom.

I'm pretty sure I've bought at least a third of the Spirytus my local liquor store sells. :oops:

My local liquor store has asked me if I’m okay since I buy a lot of beer cans there before.

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jun 2023, 4:53 pm

I've been drinking probably 2-3 drinks/day for a while. More than 1 average, but I think less than 3. Usually drink 1-2 at the beach, but sometimes 3, Rarely 4 as we have the strictest drinking driving laws in the world at 0.05% BAC so I only ever drink more than 2 if I Know I'm going to be there for long enough to be legal when I leave. I sometimes also have a drink at home before I leave, and sometimes have a drink after I get home.. too much, over all, lately IMO. I've been cutting back and won't go to zero But don't want to be drinking 3+ drinks/day just for general health and monetary cost. Water up, alcohol down etc. I have plenty of other things to spend my time & money on besides getting drunk - but I do enjoy A drink or two. (Only been proper drunk a couple times in the last several years. Not really my thing, don't like hangovers, and I drive my car or ride my motorcycle everywhere.)

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jun 2023, 4:55 pm

WilliamK1997 wrote:
funeralxempire wrote:

My local liquor store has asked me if I’m okay since I buy a lot of beer cans there before.

Thankfully I've got 2 grocery stores, a convenience store and the Beer Store, on top of the liquor store. :lol: :oops:

"If you stick a knife in my back 9 inches and pull it out 6 inches, there's no progress. If you pull it all the way out, that's not progress. The progress is healing the wound that the blow made... and they won't even admit the knife is there." Malcolm X
戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

Fairfield
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jun 2023, 5:00 pm

mrpieceofwork wrote:
I guess I block this part out... me getting the shakes was one of the major reasons I started down the path to sobriety. If that hadn't happened to me, I am sure I not be here now to type this out. DO refer to your GP as much as is possible through this, because if you really are drinking that much, your body is not going to like you going "cold turkey". This is how insidious alcohol is. Do take care.

I started trying to drink less/hopefully eventually stop because my gallbladder/liver started hurting really bad all the time (probably because I take medication that I shouldn't drink with...), but especially when I drank. It was making me nauseous 24/7 and vomit a lot. Having a problem with alcohol is not fun at all and will f**k you up pretty quick.