Technology - forwards or backwards?

Page 1 of 1 [ 9 posts ] 

GralienTourist
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

23 Oct 2012, 10:40 pm

Which do you prefer, furthering technology or regression?
For example: Car, or Horse? Digital camera, or film? TV, or books? Tell us why if you feel like it...

For myself, I hate driving (but can), prefer old film cameras, and have no TV but read often. I wish I could ride a horse. But then I do like taking trains, and I'm fascinated by space exploration, like the Mars robot.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

23 Oct 2012, 10:44 pm

I miss playing games with other people in the same room.

If playing alone is progress, I could use a little regression.

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

ianorlin
Veteran
Veteran

23 Oct 2012, 10:54 pm

The one thing I like about digital cameras is that you can switch between black and white and sepia tones easily without having to change a roll of film.

outofplace
Veteran
Veteran

23 Oct 2012, 11:04 pm

I like a mix of things. Most of what I own is not the latest technology but it still works as intended. My newest car is 15 model years old and the oldest is 34. I have a cool geiger counter from 1962 that still measures gamma and beta radiation just fine. I also have a Japanese sewing machine from 1957 and a portable typewriter from the 70's. My oldest hand tools date from the teens and 1920's and used to belong to my great grandfather.

MXH
Veteran
Veteran

23 Oct 2012, 11:08 pm

progress always. you cant blame technology for the human element. Especially with the ability of doing dumb things the human element has

sluice
Veteran
Veteran

23 Oct 2012, 11:20 pm

Yeah, I should have been born a century ago or a century from now. I am not sure which. Really, I'd like to be an outlaw in the old west or a passenger on a trip to another world.

Brainfre3ze_93
Veteran
Veteran

24 Oct 2012, 8:14 am

I tend to be regressive when it comes to technology. Name one item, and I could probably have an issue with it somehow. :?

For example... I own a pocketwatch because I was tired of my wristwatch sliding off my arm every time I tried to write. I've a bike because I got tired of my car breaking down. Not to metion my biggest enemy the computer which confuses me to no end. I swear I'm no better than my dad. * Who is horrible at it everytime he uses it, he has to call on my help 8O *

Mindsigh
Veteran
Veteran

24 Oct 2012, 8:26 am

I shoot film! But I then convert the images to a digital form. My avatar picture was shot on film and then fiddled with to bring out the color of the eyes.

I'd love to learn to ride a horse, but not to clean up after it. I can't ride a bike at all. So I've had to settle for driving/walking.

The only technology I really don't want to be without is indoor plumbing/running water and heating/cooling (including refrigeration). Oh, and metallurgy and spinning fiber (for my special interests).

Nikolaikeeling
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

24 Oct 2012, 8:58 am

Social networking Defiantly needs too downgrade.. its way too personal. When you sighn up for Facebook. or twitter it requires all your information as if its a FBI file...