Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ] 

managertina
Veteran
Veteran

04 Nov 2012, 12:55 am

Does anyone have a favourite picture book?

I just met Phillip and Erin Stead, the picture book co-creators. Love their book "A Sick Day for Amos McGee", and the visuals in "Jonathan and the Big Blue Boat" were amazing. The papers used to create the collages in "Jonathan" are so diverse, from star charts, to stamps, to children's writing exercise books.

BEAUTIFUL.

Love to hear about some of your favourites.

Mindsigh
Veteran
Veteran

05 Nov 2012, 9:20 am

There was a book out in the '90s--can't remember the exact title--The (Something) Alphabet, I think. It was 26 incredibly detailed paintings full of hundreds of random objects that all started with the same letter. It wasn't a children's book (one of the "c" images was a condom).

OliveOilMom
Veteran
Veteran

05 Nov 2012, 8:12 pm

This isn't exactly a picture book, but it's a big coffee table book with lots of wonderful illustrations. It's called "Gnomes" and it's by a Dutch guy that I can't remember his name. I got one back when it came out, from the book store. late 70's maybe. I loved looking at it and reading it. I lent my copy out and never got it back, but I'd love to find another one day.

The link to the forum is http://www.rightplanet.proboards.com

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

05 Nov 2012, 9:52 pm

I like the Dr. Zeus books. Those books have great drawings in them. Books that have lots of drawings or pictures are what I consider picture books. I also have a picture book on London that I got for Christmas over 20 years ago.