the internet is very hostile and delay human development

Page 1 of 1 [ 16 posts ] 

ronpl
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

11 Nov 2012, 3:38 pm

i'm using it for many years. in that time i've never encountered a person that expresses his deep self. and people don't aware of what they have to do.

let me simplify this. if one wants to express himself freely he don't have where to do it.
web forums are way too limited for this.
some of the problems with internet "forums":
-the one who wants to express himself needs:
1. a place that is independent and clean by its nature. Meaning no ads or other bad things that takes the attention and the ability for people to tell what’s within. If only there was an association for let’s call it: “internet 2”. This will cater the world to have a truly free discussion without any hassle. It can use the phpbb project but with couple changes making it the most powerful tool in the world for advancement. For example. It will allows people to write even if not registered. Without any hassle. This system needs to be sacred by the meaning that it has to fully cater people of opportunity to tell their thoughts.
There will be only one “forum” this will accumulate all discussion. Meaning that if there are “junk msgs” there will just be marked as “problematic” but won’t be deleted in anyway. The whole system can reside on each computer from all the users.
If you will want to filter msgs in arabic for example or Hebrew you will have “”filters”” but no two or more forums will be created in anyway.
2. there will be ‘rss’ updates of all content of the internet 2 system.
3. the person will also need that people will talk with him at eye level. I know it’s only few that can act that way but it is important.
4. he will also need a place for revealing situations in one country to another completely. Meaning that one of the aims with the system will be to allow others know about others’ life’s in other countries.
-one of the most awful things is that people get their msgs deleted often on the current internet. They don’t have one central place to talk. They limit themselves badly. They don’t even close to understanding the true meaning of their actions.
This all will allows us a truly brither world and if not at least we tried to do something that’s respecting each individual on earth.

My personal experience on the internet is so bad that I want to cry.
Let’s evolve

Twolf
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

11 Nov 2012, 5:29 pm

Quote:

It certainly feels that way at times. The thing is, it's easy for people to feel insulated from others. There's anonymity behind the screen. It's easy to forget that there's another being somewhere with feelings.

Quote:
i'm using it for many years. in that time i've never encountered a person that expresses his deep self. and people don't aware of what they have to do.

Sorry you feel that way. In my experience, yes - the majority communicate in a largely superficial way. Every now and then, there are individuals that speak from the heart.

Do you mean that people aren't aware of what they are doing? Correct me if I misunderstood. Yes, again, it's easy to forget there are real people behind computer screens.

Quote:
-the one who wants to express himself needs:
1. a place that is independent and clean by its nature. Meaning no ads or other bad things that takes the attention and the ability for people to tell what's within.

The problem here is that no such a place exists currently, or ever will. Life is a very messy thing. One can always attempt to create a place/forum/site that is more suited to one's needs (if the knowledge, time, and resources are available). Unfortunately, there will always be the "chaos" factor. A nice forum I frequently lurked in recently got a ton of spammers. It is now unavailable. I know that sometimes it's hard to downplay the troublesome aspects. I've been learning how to do that my whole life. Sometimes, it's best to concentrate on the good aspects.

Quote:
2. there will be 'rss' updates of all content of the internet 2 system.

That would be nice and convenient if it was possible.

Quote:
3. the person will also need that people will talk with him at eye level. I know it's only few that can act that way but it is important.

Not possible in typical chat, as one can't see others' expressions. That's the limitation of this medium, unfortunately. Hope I'm understanding correctly here. There is video conferencing software, but this is not typically used in forums.

Quote:
4. he will also need a place for revealing situations in one country to another completely. Meaning that one of the aims with the system will be to allow others know about others' life's in other countries.
-one of the most awful things is that people get their msgs deleted often on the current internet. They don't have one central place to talk. They limit themselves badly. They don't even close to understanding the true meaning of their actions.
This all will allows us a truly brither world and if not at least we tried to do something that's respecting each individual on earth.

Do you mean news? I know a site that's a forum and information portal that has a news section. The news is for a specific country relating to the site. I guess the best way to know how it's like in another country is simply ask the person you are chatting with.

This is interesting. I've heard the opposite - that a lot of what has been written on line stays permanently. I'd imagine that your messages can be erased if someone doesn't like what you have to express. I'm not sure how easily they can be erased though, as I'm not technical.

I agree - It would be a better world if we could act respectful towards each individual. I think that the internet does a good job overall of allowing people to meet people in different places around the world. When you learn about different people and cultures, you gain better understanding of others. Understanding can lead to respect.

I'm sorry your experience has been bad. I hope that you experience better times on the net.

DerStadtschutz
Veteran
Veteran

11 Nov 2012, 5:50 pm

The internet is great. You post something, and within literally seconds, people all over the world can read it... This means that even though things can still get censored, people will see it almost instantly, and they can reproduce it for more people who will see it before it gets taken down, who can do the same until everybody knows the things that "they" don't want you to. What's great about the internet is anybody can be an author/publisher. Nobody needs some executive's permission to put stuff out there. The internet is much more real than television.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

11 Nov 2012, 6:00 pm

I think that it's not so much that the Internet is 'hostile' to anyone, but that certain people and groups are intimidated by what the Internet can provide -- free and easy access to information -- and they perceive their own intimidation as being provoked by hostility.

For instance, someone in another thread posted graphs and charts that depicted a strong relationship between the rise in Internet use and the decline in church attendance. How can religious dogma survive in an environment that allows anyone to pick apart even the most tightly convoluted doctrine like a crow on a loaf of bread?

Personally, I connect to the Internet during Sunday school, and look for secular information that supports the teachers' lessons; finding none, I then search out secular information that refutes the teachers' lessons, and find such an abundance of valid information that I then use to form questions that might one day get me excommunicated ... one can only hope, eh?

:lol:

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

Sylkat
Veteran
Veteran

12 Nov 2012, 5:14 am

Dear Ronpl, The Internet in general will never be the ideal place that you envision, simply because 'everyone' has access to it.

Some people are sensitive and sincere and want to make friends and improve themselves, as you say, evolve, others want to play mind games, use forums to express their bitterness and manipulate people.

WP may be a good place for you to find the kind of friends that you are looking for.

Sylkat

Uranus
Toucan
Toucan

12 Nov 2012, 8:40 am

Quote:

It's a bit like real life. :lol:

Toy_Soldier
Veteran
Veteran

12 Nov 2012, 1:03 pm

I like your title but might put it....

Humanity is very hostile and delays human development.

But on your ideas, though I can see some of the things you are trying accomplish, they are very stringent. I doubt you would find many willing to set up a forum under such restrictions.

MjrMajorMajor
Veteran
Veteran

13 Nov 2012, 9:43 am

The internet is just a tool. It can be used positively or negatively, but that's the user not the internet. I'd like to think the positives outweigh the slime of nastiness here or there.

OliveOilMom
Veteran
Veteran

14 Nov 2012, 7:23 am

I have no problem with the internet.

The link to the forum is http://www.rightplanet.proboards.com

blue_bean
Veteran
Veteran

14 Nov 2012, 7:33 am

WP delays personal development, so yes it is.

ronpl
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

19 Nov 2012, 2:11 pm

blue_bean wrote:
WP delays personal development, so yes it is.

also wordpress.
instead a central board system for us all we have blogs that are so limited by they nature. they are scattered around the internet making random thoughts hard to find.

as i hinted before. a central server for "boards" will hopefully allow each person tell share their inner thoughts instead of having such destructful tool; the internet; that doesn't truly make opportunities for all the people.

the point i'm trying to making is that there are not really much places for random thoughts over the internet. no place for general discussion.

let's also hope you could understand me and at least partially

MrXxx
Veteran
Veteran

19 Nov 2012, 2:20 pm

As with any "tool," it's all about the people that use them.

Tools are inanimate without people, and therefore blameless.

I'm not likely to be around much longer. As before when I first signed up here years ago, I'm finding that after a long hiatus, and after only a few days back on here, I'm spending way too much time here again already. So I'm requesting my account be locked, banned or whatever. It's just time. Until then, well, I dunno...

ronpl
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

19 Nov 2012, 2:26 pm

tools can multiply by an enormous amount its influence after people failed to create it properly.

MrXxx
Veteran
Veteran

19 Nov 2012, 2:34 pm

ronpl wrote:
tools can multiply by an enormous amount its influence after people failed to create it properly.

Yes, but if it isn't the internet, it can be guns, swords, knives, sticks and stones. The problem isn't the internet. It's the people that use it. People who want to be cruel, always find a way. The difference between the world before the internet, and the world since the internet, is that we can SEE what everyone is up to now, and experience all of it more than we could before.

I'm not saying that people in general haven't gotten worse with their behaviors. By and large I think they have. But they have been doing so for a long time. The internet just makes it easier to see. Which isn't necessarily a bad thing either. All this crap behavior you're seeing would be happening anyway, but without the internet, we wouldn't be as aware of it.

I'm not likely to be around much longer. As before when I first signed up here years ago, I'm finding that after a long hiatus, and after only a few days back on here, I'm spending way too much time here again already. So I'm requesting my account be locked, banned or whatever. It's just time. Until then, well, I dunno...

ronpl
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

19 Nov 2012, 2:49 pm

you are talking about the internet as being able to show us what others are or worth i guess. and it isn't really like that. it doesn't allows. it's wear us.

but we need to bare in our heads that the net could have been a place for much deeper ideas from people.

let me give you some example.
news websites are making it pretty hard to comment your ideas at. especially in israel.
they are creating imbalance that prevents us from using the internet for our real advantage.

the simple question is simple; where can one discuss with others over the net? and why it is so difficulty to express opinions on the internet; i mean finding a place for.

because i believe that you can't really share your true self over the net. people are afraid to do so. so they sometimes only open blogs and doing it in a way (writing i mean) that is scared from being different.

hope i made some point here

MrXxx
Veteran
Veteran

19 Nov 2012, 2:59 pm

ronpl wrote:
you are talking about the internet as being able to show us what others are or worth i guess. and it isn't really like that. it doesn't allows. it's wear us.

but we need to bare in our heads that the net could have been a place for much deeper ideas from people.

let me give you some example.
news websites are making it pretty hard to comment your ideas at. especially in israel.
they are creating imbalance that prevents us from using the internet for our real advantage.

the simple question is simple; where can one discuss with others over the net? and why it is so difficulty to express opinions on the internet; i mean finding a place for.

because i believe that you can't really share your true self over the net. people are afraid to do so. so they sometimes only open blogs and doing it in a way (writing i mean) that is scared from being different.

hope i made some point here

The internet doesn't prevent anyone from using it to our advantage. People have in depth discussions all over the internet. People share their true selves all over the internet. There is no difficulty whatsoever expressing opinions on the internet. Everyone does it.

The real problem isn't that nobody can use it for the reasons you outlined. The real problem is that there is now virtually unlimited information to sift through to get to that value. It is there, and it is available to all.

It can be very difficult to filter through all the crap to get to it but it's not impossible. Harder for those of us with disabilities that limit our filtering capabilities for sure, but shutting it down would not solve the problem. The problem will still be there in reality, and harder to detect because we wouldn't have the world view we have with it.