Deinonychus
Deinonychus

07 Nov 2012, 9:50 am

winter?

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

07 Nov 2012, 9:55 am

The longer nights excite me. I revel in darkness ...

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

lostmyself
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

07 Nov 2012, 9:57 am

lol I am talking about those that like the sun and the daylight. The darkness depresses me.

ColdEyesWarmHeart
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

07 Nov 2012, 10:09 am

I have a lightbox, I couldn't cope without it. And I have a set of fairy lights on my headboard, on a timer so they switch on just before I wake up.

I do like the dark nights, but when it is only just light as I'm leaving the house and dark again when I'm finishing work, I can go for days barely seeing daylight. And I suffer from SAD.

Of course on days I don't work, nothing beats wrapping up warmly and getting outside in the daylight hours, tempting as it is to lurk around the radiators!

Toy_Soldier
Veteran
Veteran

07 Nov 2012, 10:12 am

Fnord wrote:
The longer nights excite me. I revel in darkness ...

"...but darkness was cheap, and Scrooge liked it"
(Charles Dickens, A Christmas Carol)

lostmyself wrote:
lol I am talking about those that like the sun and the daylight. The darkness depresses me.

There is some evidence that using full spectrum lights helps by giving you exposure to something closer to the suns light, then the normal light bulbs used around the house. We brought a big flourescent full spectrum fixture to Iceland when I was stationed with my family there, because there were very short days there in winter. The shortest day of the year is like 20 minutes there. Anyway, my wife is susceptable to some symtoms of depression in winter and used it and said it helped.

lostmyself
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

08 Nov 2012, 12:21 pm

ColdEyesWarmHeart wrote:
I have a lightbox, I couldn't cope without it. And I have a set of fairy lights on my headboard, on a timer so they switch on just before I wake up.

I do like the dark nights, but when it is only just light as I'm leaving the house and dark again when I'm finishing work, I can go for days barely seeing daylight. And I suffer from SAD.

Of course on days I don't work, nothing beats wrapping up warmly and getting outside in the daylight hours, tempting as it is to lurk around the radiators!

I should probably try this out been hearing a lot about it. Thanks.

Quote:
There is some evidence that using full spectrum lights helps by giving you exposure to something closer to the suns light, then the normal light bulbs used around the house. We brought a big flourescent full spectrum fixture to Iceland when I was stationed with my family there, because there were very short days there in winter. The shortest day of the year is like 20 minutes there. Anyway, my wife is susceptable to some symtoms of depression in winter and used it and said it helped.

Thanks will try hope it doesn't over excite me though! I am Bipolar but I've not had an serious episode in an year now.

hanyo
Veteran
Veteran

08 Nov 2012, 12:32 pm

I doesn't make any difference to me because I barely go outside. I'm lucky if I can even drag myself outside for a 10 minute walk every day which I really should be doing once or twice a day.

Uprising
Veteran
Veteran

08 Nov 2012, 12:42 pm

The more dark it is during the day the better and I'm not talking about clouds, I'm talking about the moon-rise.

TheTigress
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

08 Nov 2012, 1:09 pm

It bothers me a bit. The second half of Fall and all of Winter are quite hard for me to get through because I can't stand the cold or the shortened days. I'm almost sure that I am affected by SAD at least in some way. My mom also claims to be more down during this time of year because she also loves to work out in the yard. I have always been a Spring/Summer person my whole life. I like being outside, smelling nice bbqs in the neighborhood and also the smell of freshly cut grass. All of that disappears when the weather gets crappy and what you get in return is a constant dampness, darkness, fattening holidays and frosty cars.

kirayng
Veteran
Veteran

09 Nov 2012, 1:45 pm

I love it because I live in front of my computer anyway. I just eat supper earlier and enjoy being warm in my house. I hate the heat. Glad to live in the far north of northern america lol

kra17
Veteran
Veteran

09 Nov 2012, 3:19 pm

Winter's nice. I like dark and cold. Yum.

Ryvandur
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

09 Nov 2012, 6:15 pm

The only thing that bugs me is when I have to drive somewhere at 5-6 PM, and the setting sun is in my face. But as a night-person, I love the shorter days.

MONKEY
Veteran
Veteran

09 Nov 2012, 6:25 pm

When the days get progressively shorter I always find it depressing. I hate it when it's dark at 4.

equestriatola
Veteran
Veteran

Location: Half of me is in the Washington state, the other Los Angeles.

09 Nov 2012, 7:31 pm

Thinking about good sports, watching TV and being with friends.

The Canadian Football League - What We're Made Of

Feel free to talk to me, if you wish. :)

Every day is a gift- cherish it!

"A true, true friend helps a friend in need."

Raptor
Veteran
Veteran

09 Nov 2012, 9:07 pm

A short day is a good day. What annoys me is daylight savings.

Colinn
Veteran
Veteran

09 Nov 2012, 9:48 pm

I guess I do dislike it slightly when it gets to the point were it gets dark at 4pm. But it doesn't affect my mood all that much as I'm not out all that much anyway. As for the weather itself, I like it when its cold.