Page 2 of 3 [ 35 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

SpiritBlooms
Veteran
Veteran

17 Nov 2012, 4:41 pm

Aldran wrote:
I believe, directly, its short for something like "You can search me for an answer, but if I had one Id have told you already" or something to that effect.

I believe it came from England initially, and IIRC the term was used moderately frequently in the Sherlock Holmes books, but /shrug, this sentence is generated from my memory, and is subject to being entirely wrong, feel free to do your own research.

Aldran

I don't know where it came from, but it was common in the US in the 70s. Rowling probably heard it a lot as a girl, and it's not such a common slang term now. Remember the author isn't the same age as the readers.

When people said "search me," when I was a kid, there was a slight emphasis on "me" - usually accompanied with a shrug. You may have heard "beats me" or "you've got me" but not "search me" at some time. But it's as simple as "I dunno (shrug)."

I don't think the wizard crackers were in the movie. And there are some things that never get explained in the book or the movies. As someone who used to try to write fiction my guess is that they were explained in early drafts but got edited out to shorten the length and as not really necessary to move the story forward.

I personally think changing the title from Philosopher's Stone to Sorcerer's Stone was idiotic. It changes the meaning of the title. Nicolas Flamel was an historical figure, an alchemist, and the proper name for such a stone would be philosopher's stone. If they were going to leave Flamel in at all, why change the name of the stone? I hate Americanizing and dumbing down.

luvsterriers
Veteran
Veteran

19 Nov 2012, 7:58 am

Thanks Aldran that does help a lot :)

If you're not happy with yourself, you'll never be happy with somebody else. (Don Omar)

luvsterriers
Veteran
Veteran

29 Nov 2012, 7:40 am

Ok I know in the first book it gets explained that his dad had the cloak. Did Dumbledore tell Harry that his dad had the cloak in the first movie also? I don't recall. I do recall Harry telling Ron in the second movie that its time to get his dad's cloak out again. I guess this is when they were going to ask Hagrid a question, but then get interrupted since Fudge and Dumbledore came by Hagrid's hut?

If you're not happy with yourself, you'll never be happy with somebody else. (Don Omar)

SpiritBlooms
Veteran
Veteran

29 Nov 2012, 1:30 pm

luvsterriers wrote:
Ok I know in the first book it gets explained that his dad had the cloak. Did Dumbledore tell Harry that his dad had the cloak in the first movie also? I don't recall. I do recall Harry telling Ron in the second movie that its time to get his dad's cloak out again. I guess this is when they were going to ask Hagrid a question, but then get interrupted since Fudge and Dumbledore came by Hagrid's hut?
Dumbledore isn't identified as the one who gives Harry the cloak in the first movie. He gets it for Christmas, but there's no signature on the enclosed note, which only says it used to belong to his dad.

luvsterriers
Veteran
Veteran

29 Nov 2012, 3:25 pm

Thanks. I did watch the clip of Christmas presents from the first movie, and on the note it said father.

Prof_Pretorius
Veteran
Veteran

29 Nov 2012, 4:50 pm

Overall they are fun to read, but don't reach the level of literature.
As someone has noted, it was obvious to the makers of the films that Rowling did not have an over-arching plan and was making it up as she went along.

daydreamer84
Veteran
Veteran

29 Nov 2012, 5:28 pm

Prof_Pretorius wrote:
Overall they are fun to read, but don't reach the level of literature.
As someone has noted, it was obvious to the makers of the films that Rowling did not have an over-arching plan and was making it up as she went along.
\

I strongly disagree. :D

SpiritBlooms
Veteran
Veteran

29 Nov 2012, 10:23 pm

Last edited by SpiritBlooms on 04 Dec 2012, 1:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

luvsterriers
Veteran
Veteran

03 Dec 2012, 9:14 am

I remember the scene from 3rd movie where Sirius and Harry are about to be kissed by the dementors yet you see a stag in the background. How can someone conjure that and we can't see them? But then I read that the future Harry actually conjured the Patronus to save himself and Sirius. Huh?

However, the Dementors were driven away by a Patronus that had been cast by Harry's future self after he and Hermione used a Time-Turner to try to rescue Sirius.

SoftKitty
Veteran
Veteran

04 Dec 2012, 4:06 pm

Does anybody here like Snape better than Harry?

Vintagegirl
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

17 Dec 2012, 2:09 pm

SoftKitty wrote:
Does anybody here like Snape better than Harry?

Yes, me!! :D

Sylkat
Veteran
Veteran

19 Dec 2012, 6:23 am

Me, too!

Actually, I like Alan Rickman in all his performances.....

Ever see his Sheriff of Nottingham?

Sylkat

SoftKitty
Veteran
Veteran

19 Dec 2012, 6:55 am

Sylkat wrote:
Me, too! Actually, I like Alan Rickman in all his performances. Ever see his Sheriff of Nottingham?

Hell yeah. That had actually been my most fav performance from him before I saw all the Potter movies.

kaiouti
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

19 Dec 2012, 7:47 am

"Beats me" or "s**t, I dunno"

SoftKitty
Veteran
Veteran

19 Dec 2012, 10:57 am

kaiouti wrote:
"Beats me" or "sh**, I dunno"

What? I don´t understand.

luvsterriers
Veteran
Veteran

20 Dec 2012, 11:58 am

SoftKitty wrote:
kaiouti wrote:
"Beats me" or "sh**, I dunno"

What? I don´t understand.

I asked earlier what "search me" meant. It was in one of the books. I thought it was missprint but apparently it means, beats me, I don't know, etc.

With regards to veelas, it doesn't talk about them in the movies? Plus Beauxbatons in the book is male/female students, where as movie is all girls. Veelas are girls that are very pretty?

Do any of you think that Winky should have been in the movies?