Some people say the "c" is silent in rap.

Page 1 of 4 [ 52 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

NewTime
Veteran
Veteran

14 May 2020, 4:48 pm

I've heard some people say that the "c" is silent in rap.

blackicmenace
Veteran
Veteran

14 May 2020, 4:59 pm

Goonies for life, cause Goonies never die.

Kiprobalhato
Veteran
Veteran

14 May 2020, 5:18 pm

i only listen to three kinds of music:

crap (country rap)

junk (jazz+funk)

and s**ts (smash hits)

לא לדעת כלום
וזה הכל אהובי, זה הכל.

KT67
Veteran
Veteran

14 May 2020, 5:20 pm

It is, if you pronounce it then the crap connoisseurs get cross … :lol:

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

14 May 2020, 5:32 pm

NewTime wrote:
I've heard some people say that the "c" is silent in rap.

Some people are imbeciles with rubbish taste but they're entitled to be wrong. Image

People with limited intellects and vocabularies tend to struggle with comprehending lyrics that rely on metaphors, wordplay, etc, so their poor taste should be understood in that context.

"If you stick a knife in my back 9 inches and pull it out 6 inches, there's no progress. If you pull it all the way out, that's not progress. The progress is healing the wound that the blow made... and they won't even admit the knife is there." Malcolm X
戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

dragonsanddemons
Veteran
Veteran

14 May 2020, 8:19 pm

It took me several hours of thinking about this to finally get it :duh:

Yet in my new wildness and freedom I almost welcome the bitterness of alienage. For although nepenthe has calmed me, I know always that I am an outsider; a stranger in this century and among those who are still men.
-H. P. Lovecraft, "The Outsider"

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

15 May 2020, 8:34 am

I saw a patriarch of the Carter family (the family the practically invented Country music, and into whom Johnny Cash married into when he married June Carter) on TV saying "what they got on the radio now...it aint exactly country. And it aint exactly rock. So I call it 'crock'". :lol:

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

15 May 2020, 8:37 am

It's all CRAP!!

Now git offa mah lawn!

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

Magna
Veteran
Veteran

15 May 2020, 8:41 am

I don't get why the intense misogyny in a lot of rap music is ok. To me it's no different than if there was a musical genre that was racist or xenophobic, but it got a pass...because [ insert explanation here ].

Last edited by Magna on 15 May 2020, 8:46 am, edited 1 time in total.

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

15 May 2020, 8:43 am

I honestly thought this meant that rappers don't pronounce the letter c.

I don't listen to rap so I couldn't confirm it, but I'm very literal. :roll:

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

15 May 2020, 8:50 am

Magna wrote:
I don't get why the intense misogyny in a lot of rap music is ok. To me it's no different than if there was a musical genre that was racist or xenophobic, but it got a pass...because [ insert explanation here ].
Maybe misogyny gets a pass because of the widely-held (yet false) belief that "Only white people are prejudiced".

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

starkid
Veteran
Veteran

15 May 2020, 8:59 am

haha

HighLlama
Veteran
Veteran

15 May 2020, 9:22 am

If they only speak in cliches and unoriginal jokes, these people aren't worth taking that seriously. In my experience, many of them are older and forget what their parents thought of rock and roll.

dragonsanddemons
Veteran
Veteran

15 May 2020, 10:24 am

IsabellaLinton wrote:
I honestly thought this meant that rappers don't pronounce the letter c.

I don't listen to rap so I couldn't confirm it, but I'm very literal. :roll:

That’s what I thought at first, too.

Yet in my new wildness and freedom I almost welcome the bitterness of alienage. For although nepenthe has calmed me, I know always that I am an outsider; a stranger in this century and among those who are still men.
-H. P. Lovecraft, "The Outsider"

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

15 May 2020, 10:48 am

It is a rather old joke. The first person I heard say "Rap??? It's short for 'crap'" was Greg Allman, of the Allman Brothers Band while being interviewed on TV doc twenty years ago. And he is typical of musicians of my generation. On the "Black Album" Prince sang the line "the only good rapper is one that's dead". That was of course some years before Prince had to hire a rapper for his band to keep up with times.

But as someone above pointed out- my parents didn't think much of my generation's rocknroll either.

Another generation...another planet.

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

15 May 2020, 4:40 pm

Magna wrote:

The same reason it gets a pass in extreme metal, the artists for whom that's their bread and butter tend to have a fan base that isn't offended by it. It isn't a defining trait of the genre even if it's common enough to be a familiar trope. One potential compounding issue that would apply with a lot of hip-hop, but not a lot of extreme metal would be the context of the relationships being described. In a lot of extreme metal (and to be fair, some hip-hop including Eminem) misogynistic violence is being described in the context of either targeting random strangers just because or domestic violence. In a substantial portion of examples of misogynistic references or references to misogynistic violence it's often in the context of members of the criminal underworld who attract hangers-on who are effectively paid retainers, it's not really unreasonable for someone who is admitting that most of their relationships have been along that dynamic to also express that they view partners of that nature as sex trade workers, because odds are, so do the retainers/partners in question. If someone is exchanging 'favours' for money, power or being provided with intoxicants, that's the nature of the exchange and it shouldn't be problematic to call it what it is.

That's also why it tends to be a handful of artists with crossover appeal to pop artists who get more scrutiny than others, because no one cares what some random one-man slamdeath band with a following of 217 fans sings about until he turns to incel terrorism (true case), and similarily, no one cares what some wannabe pimp talks about because his reach is minuscule, but when that person has the stature of Jay-Z or Eminem even attempts to distance themselves won't succeed entirely no matter what the current of their current output is.

I enjoy genres that sometimes express those sorts of issues, but I notice 9/10 when people bring up misogyny in contemporary music they will only focus on the issue in certain genres and while I can't assume racial biases are the reason, it often emerges as part of a broader pattern if a long enough period of examination occurs.

"If you stick a knife in my back 9 inches and pull it out 6 inches, there's no progress. If you pull it all the way out, that's not progress. The progress is healing the wound that the blow made... and they won't even admit the knife is there." Malcolm X
戦争ではなく戦争と戦う