What were your favourite toys as a child?

Page 2 of 4 [ 52 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

CyclopsSummers
Veteran
Veteran

31 Jan 2014, 4:06 pm

Far and away Transformers. I had lots of them. And then, I also had a lot of fake, faux Transformers of which the designs were directly copied from Hasbro's real Transformers. I actually owned mostly 'Generation 2' toys (being a 90s kid), I did have a couple of the originals, like the Protectobots, Stunticons, etc.

I played with them so much from my earliest childhood all the way down into my teenage years. It just never got boring for me.

FluttercordAspie93
Veteran
Veteran

01 Feb 2014, 2:52 am

I liked a lot of toys growing up, but there was one special toy I had:

I took this guy everywhere with me, including Disney World one time.

I didn't care what others thought of me for it, either.

Falcor
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

01 Feb 2014, 3:00 am

I was a tomboy growing up. My favourite toys were my He-Man figures by far. Also had Star Wars figures, Transformers, Big Trak, lots and lots and lots of plastic horses.

jly88
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

01 Feb 2014, 8:59 pm

- Sega Genesis
- N64 (which I still have and play on occasion)
- Beanie Babies
- Tamagotchi
- American Girl Dolls
- Playmobil
- Polly Pockets
- Marble Run, aka this:

^ Between the shiny marbles, spinning turnstile things, and constructing your own track, that game was pretty much an Aspie's paradise...

MONKEY
Veteran
Veteran

02 Feb 2014, 8:19 pm

The known branded toys were baby expressions, furbies, wuvluvs, barbies, little mermaid doll, posh spice doll.
The toys who's brands I don't know=
I had an old secondhand baby doll with a penis and a battery hole no longer working. It had spiky brown hair that had been cut. I named it Daniel Bould after a boy in my class. When my late brother was in hospital a nurse gave me loads of plasters and stickers (that surround tubes) and I covered the doll with them. They didn't peel easily so there are still residues on it. I LOVED that doll!

Another 2 dolls were best friends I paired up. The first one was a plastic toddler type doll with hair clips and stuff that got lost eventually. She wore a leotard and skirt and earrings. I named her Terea (terr-eah). I bought her new. The best friend was a doll I bought from a stall at a school fair, she was in a similar style as Terea and had coloured hair. I named her Kirsty after my school bully, yeah where's the logic but oh well! They were my imaginary friends and we "spoke" allllll the time.

I also had plastic figures of the teletubbies that I adored.

A load of ponies including a long haired barbie cat that I used as an honorary pony. I called them "the kingdom of the girl horses."

Too many more to list!!

MONKEY
Veteran
Veteran

02 Feb 2014, 8:28 pm

Joe90 wrote:
Betty Spaghetti dolls

Ooh I almost forgot about those!! I had one after much begging (sucker for fads right here). That was one of my favourite dolls too.
I'm so tempted to write an essay detailing every single doll I owned and why I liked them. :lol:

Murihiku
Veteran
Veteran

06 Feb 2014, 6:30 am

Model trains
Lego
Super Nintendo
... and a stuffed animal toy (kea bird) called "Kuki Kea".

Of course, my mother threw all my toys out when I was "too old" for them ... she could have left me one toy as a childhood memento.

There's the rub, the task.

– Virgil, The Aeneid (Book VI)

babybird
Veteran
Veteran

06 Feb 2014, 6:51 am

I can remember having a little wooden dog on wheels, with a springy tail.

I used to pull it around on a string.

How delightful!

LtlPinkCoupe
Veteran
Veteran

06 Feb 2014, 7:57 am

babybird wrote:
I can remember having a little wooden dog on wheels, with a springy tail.

I used to pull it around on a string.

How delightful!

You mean like a Little Snoopy? The Mother's Day Out program I attended when I was very young had one of those- I loved it! :)

"IT'S NOT FAIR!" "Life isn't fair, Calvin." "I know, but why isn't it ever unfair in MY favor?" ~ from Calvin and Hobbes

babybird
Veteran
Veteran

06 Feb 2014, 8:05 am

It was exactly like this one :D

Drehmaschine
Veteran
Veteran

06 Feb 2014, 11:27 am

a 6mm horological lathe made by the Lorch company. Very beautiful and well-crafted. Certainly not a toy by any stretch of the mind, but a fine watchmaker's tool. It still works and has been kept in almost perfect condition for over three generations-it belonged to my grandfather's father.

LtlPinkCoupe
Veteran
Veteran

06 Feb 2014, 11:47 am

babybird wrote:

It was exactly like this one :D

Yep, that's a Little Snoopy, all right! :) I think they might still make them, only they're made out of plastic now and he shakes his head, moves his front legs, and squeaks when you pull him. My younger sisters had one of those, but I think the one you had as a kid is cuter. :)

The one I played with as a kid in the early-mid 90s was plastic and squeaked too, but didn't have all the extra movement of the modern Little Snoopys. The one I played with squeaked so much that I remember the woman who ran Mother's Day Out taking Snoopy from me one day, sitting him on a high shelf, and saying, "Snoopy's SO TIRED today! Why don't you play with something else while he has a nap?" So that was the end of that. :lol:

Apparently there were a number of reincarnations of this little guy, too....

"IT'S NOT FAIR!" "Life isn't fair, Calvin." "I know, but why isn't it ever unfair in MY favor?" ~ from Calvin and Hobbes

Moomingirl
Veteran
Veteran

06 Feb 2014, 2:56 pm

^ I had one of those pull along dogs too babybird. :D

My favourite was a little white teddy bear with red paws and ears. He was in the 'communal toys' box at the health centre. I had such a screaming meltdown about leaving him (I was about 3, and I still remember it 8O ) that my mother had to bring him with me.

I loved him dearly, but he went mysteriously missing after being washed. I saw him hanging from the washing line by his ears, then I never saw him again. I suspect my mother took him back to the health centre. :cry: I still think about that bear regularly.

babybird
Veteran
Veteran

06 Feb 2014, 4:31 pm

I can remember playing with one of these too.

LtlPinkCoupe
Veteran
Veteran

06 Feb 2014, 4:36 pm

jly88 wrote:
- Sega Genesis
- N64 (which I still have and play on occasion)
- Beanie Babies
- Tamagotchi
- American Girl Dolls
- Playmobil
- Polly Pockets
- Marble Run, aka this:

^ Between the shiny marbles, spinning turnstile things, and constructing your own track, that game was pretty much an Aspie's paradise...

I LOVED Beanie Babies, and I totally had one of those marble runs when I was very young- I was fascinated by it. :D

StarCity
Veteran
Veteran

07 Feb 2014, 3:34 pm

A model farmyard that my Grandfather had made for my Mother & she had handed down to me. He had made all the buildings.
It included shop bought animals.

I spent many happy hours playing with it, until one day I decided to put glue on the roofs & tip glitter on top. At the time I thought it would look like snow, but the result was a complete mess.

It isn't natural for me, but it enables me to "fit in".
It is VERY tiring and draining, but at least we can appear like them even though it is an act. Like being on the stage.
They can't see it is emulation, and so we are accepted.