Any sort of threads you just stay out of or should?

Page 1 of 3 [ 34 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

19 Oct 2012, 12:30 am

There are certain threads I stay out of. I decided to stay out of threads about broken marriages and relationships. They tend to push my buttons and make me really upset. Last time I posted in one, I had an outburst in it because something someone said set me off. I haven't been back to it since.

I also stay out of suicide threads. Just something I can't handle and I feel anger about it.

I also know I should stay out of threads that talk about being raised by an aspie parent. I just get nothing good out of it.

So what threads do you stay out of or should?

Daughter: NT, no diagnoses.

BrokenBill
Toucan
Toucan

19 Oct 2012, 1:12 am

I decided after realising my ASD I should post whever I feel compelled to.
I'm fricken sick and tired of minding my P's and Q's around people, hell if I can't post what I think here,,,,,,,,,,,then where :shrug: .

Best regards
old tired n cranky Bill
( :wink: )

You are very likely an Aspie

outofplace
Veteran
Veteran

19 Oct 2012, 1:43 am

I try to limit my exposure to certain political and religious threads. I get too emotionally charged over these subjects and I am trying to lessen my level of anxiety, not increase it. I also tend to stay out of threads on sensory issues since I have no real experience in this area. My issue in this area is limited to a preference for cotton clothing and a lack of tolerance for synthetic fabrics, so for me to comment on far more serious issues others have would be insensitive.

On the subject of suicide threads, I participate in them not for enjoyment but rather because I feel somebody should. If everyone ignores people in the throes of suicidal ideation then they may think no one cares about them and go through with it. I may not be perfect in this area, but that just means I can speak from experience and know how the person feels. Not a week goes by that I don't think about it a few times, but I have learned how to cope with it without medication and without any help from professionals.

onks
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

19 Oct 2012, 2:19 am

I agree,

probably it would be even good to stay off wrongplanet for a while. At least when you are not doing well and are obsessed with thinking about yourself.
Wrongplanet is very good to develop your self awareness. You'll over time find out what's really wrong with you. And including especially all the disorders coupled to AS.

But, I think you can easily think too much. And you can very easily get very upset. Especially if you read about bad things that happened to others.
And that they could not do anything against. Then you'd relate that to yourself and freak out.

So instead of reading sad stories you should probably go out with people and live a real life. Or if you don't have friends try to find some.
Or simply just do something instead of just talking about it.

Then I have this thing that I feel bad if something bad happens to other people, I more or less know.

Brainfre3ze_93
Veteran
Veteran

19 Oct 2012, 8:57 am

I try to limit my exposure to Polictics and Religon threads, as they tend to get way too heated for me.

TallyMan
Veteran
Veteran

19 Oct 2012, 10:24 am

Not many threads push my buttons. One did a few weeks ago in the parents forum... a mother seeking help to indoctrinate her daughter with fundamentalist Christian beliefs, because she was resisting the attempts. Grrr. :x

Prof_Pretorius
Veteran
Veteran

19 Oct 2012, 10:44 am

Any and all parent threads. I have no patience with anybody who starts out by saying "my 2 year old has just been diagnosed".

Also religious threads, nobody convinces anyone of anything on these threads, with the possible exception that the person posting the comments is a complete idiot.

Pondering
Veteran
Veteran

19 Oct 2012, 10:49 am

I stay away of suicide threads, threads of close minded people spouting idiocy, and threads where there are a bunch of childish remarks. I should probably stay out of most threads though for the sake of time and productivity. The amount of time I waste viewing them and responding to them is enormous.

Mindsigh
Veteran
Veteran

19 Oct 2012, 11:51 am

I avoid sex threads because 1--I'm at work and I'd get in trouble and 2--I'd just rather not get TMI about total strangers (at least I hope they are--for all I know, they could be in the office next door :wink: ).

I also avoid photo threads because of reason #1 above. My work blocks most of the social networking and photo sharing sites, dangit.

MONKEY
Veteran
Veteran

19 Oct 2012, 1:46 pm

Any threads where people suggest that their favourite celebs are aspies, I have to hold back from making snarky comments or just entering into a rage.
Most political threads, I don't get a lot of it.
Fast moving threads, especially those with deepish subjects. I can't keep up with them so I end up posting pages late when everyone's changed the subject.
Banter threads because I'm crap at it.

Scaurie
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

19 Oct 2012, 4:46 pm

Erm, I'll comment in terms of "reading", since I lurked this site for a long time before I actually became a member and participated.

Religious threads - I've never believed in "one god" or any god for that matter... I don't like having to think that there is one person who is better than me just for... well, existing, and that I should always be trying to "repent". But at the same time, I realize that everyone has coping mechanisms that they must use and for some, it's religion. I avoid religious threads because I don't want to think less of these people for trying to cope with their lives, and I know I'll end up doing that if I read.

SOME suicide threads - People who are thinking of suicide are rarely in their right mind and thinking about what they are saying or the logic behind their words. Most are in "panic" or "self-pity" mode which I can't deal with. I dip into these easily and reading the words of other people who are in the midst of them makes me feel bad. There are the exceptions, where someone is clear headed, has thought out the reasons why, ect. and these are the only ones I participate in. I won't go on further because my opinions on suicide usually offend people.

"My son/daughter was just diagnosed" threads - I can't help but think that these peopel need to be reading books and learning up on the disorder before they start interacting with the people who have it. I get very angry at them, thinking they know nothing, so I avoid these threads.

Threads that have anything to do with politics, or branch into political discussion - I've never been interested in politics. They remind me of high school kids.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

19 Oct 2012, 4:59 pm

I stay out of the PPR and Mature sections all together. I also stay out of a lot of the threads in Love and Dating. I should stay out of the threads where guys talk about their ideas of what an ideal woman looks like. The more I read about thin women, the more proud I am to look like Mick Avory. Having said that, do I really have to post my pictures?

I should also stay out of potty training threads and threads about incontinence that have negative headings. Chances are that a member who hates incontinent people might have posted in the thread before I've had a chance to read it.

If there are threads that clearly attack any of my special interests, I should also avoid those like the plague.

There are also a lot of the threads in the Women's section that I should stay out of. I have a hard time relating to a lot of those topics, because I'm pretty much a man who has female parts, or a woman who really should be a man.

IdahoRose
Veteran
Veteran

19 Oct 2012, 6:34 pm

I stay away from all topics about religion, as my beliefs are in the minority here and I refuse to be made to feel bad about having them.

ghoti
Veteran
Veteran

19 Oct 2012, 6:58 pm

Threads that are meant for other sectors of the population, such as Parents, Women's or Children's discussions. Plus I avoid the sexual onse (L&D, Adult) as those make me even more depressed. Then I take current events and PPR with a grain of salt as there are a few posters who post some unbelievable stuff on those.

lostgirl1986
Veteran
Veteran

19 Oct 2012, 7:11 pm

Threads that I tend to stay away from are threads about
-abortion
-religion
-politics
-science/math
-really long problems especially when it comes to relationships
-role playing
-children/teen
-I have to be in the right mood to help with suicide threads and sometimes it depends on if I know the user or not. It sounds bad but there are so many of them on WP. That's a lot to carry on your back.
-really corny or hyper threads that make no sense

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

19 Oct 2012, 7:23 pm

League_Girl wrote:
Any sort of threads you just stay out of or should?

The ones that have subject lines that reveal the posters' low opinions of themselves. "I'm Worthless", "I Should Not Have Been Born", "I Don't Belong" or the various suicide threads are the ones that I try to avoid. There seems to be nothing that I can say to these people that doesn't seem mean or degrading in some way; unless I lie by telling them how wonderful they really are, how they mean so much to me, how I would be sad if they were gone, and so forth...

I can't even deal with such people in real life without feeling dragged down into a quagmire of despair.

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.