Page 1 of 1 [ 13 posts ] 

Jitro
Veteran
Veteran

10 Aug 2012, 10:20 pm

Anyone here have an interest in fire alarm systems?

kra17
Veteran
Veteran

10 Aug 2012, 10:38 pm

Not really. As long as it is alarming me im happy.

thechadmaster
Veteran
Veteran

11 Aug 2012, 7:23 am

As a child I was deathly afraid of them... when I started kindergarten (long before my dx) nobody told me that fire drills were going to happen. It was the first day of school and I thought the place was burning down

GoonSquad
Veteran
Veteran

11 Aug 2012, 9:25 am

I absolutely despise fire alarm systems. When I was doing industrial tech work, I'd always get stuck working on the fire system... They suck.

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

11 Aug 2012, 9:59 am

I have such an intense fear of things like bells and smoke alarms, that when I look at one (mostly a bell) my throat goes dry and I imagine the sound of it, then my brain gets confused to whether the sound is real or just in my head, which then makes me flinch and look a spastic.

invisiblesilent
Veteran
Veteran

11 Aug 2012, 10:55 am

thechadmaster wrote:
As a child I was deathly afraid of them... when I started kindergarten (long before my dx) nobody told me that fire drills were going to happen. It was the first day of school and I thought the place was burning down

Me too, I was utterly terrified of them. If a fire alarm went off I would totally freak out as a child. Tbh if I couldn't get away from the noise inside 5 minutes I would probably freak out now. It's only as an adult that I've realised that this is probably caused by Asperger's and the "freaking out" was a meltdown. I *really* can't deal with loud noises.

Edit: Fireworks were one of the other things that used to terrify me, my family stopped taking me to fireworks displays after my meltdowns ruined everyone's evening :p

thewrll
Veteran
Veteran

11 Aug 2012, 11:05 am

Smoke and fire alarm systems are good. I saved our home and two lives because of those two things.

CyborgUprising
Veteran
Veteran

11 Aug 2012, 9:19 pm

I don't have any beef with them.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

11 Aug 2012, 10:03 pm

I don't mind them.

chris5000
Veteran
Veteran

12 Aug 2012, 1:20 am

when I was staying at my sister apartment in l.a. for a week the fire alarms went off 4 times for the building. this apparently happened all the time even though it was a real upscale place with the whole complex fenced in with guards at the gates.

wiley2012
Butterfly
Butterfly

12 Jan 2013, 11:46 am

Knowing how fire alarm systems work helped me calm my fear of them. I also learned not all of them sound like buzzers, like at the schools I went to. The alarms I can usually handle really well are ones that use speakers or voice-evacuation instead of horns or bells. I was visiting a school a couple years ago, and they were having their fire alarm system being checked on, and I remember being surprised and relieved by the rather low volume of their alarms:
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ptw7baj2xJk[/youtube]
In fact, because of the low volume, they had to put an alarm speaker/strobe in every classroom! Prior to their renovation, the school had really loud fire buzzers, and I was told when they put in the Simplex voice-evacuation system, everyone found it a big relief, even non-Aspergers people!

Jitro
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jan 2013, 10:40 pm

That is cool.

largosan
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

12 Jan 2013, 10:56 pm

They always go off while I'm cooking, and then I feel bad about my cooking, even if it is proceeding as it should. I get really nervous whenever I'm soldering or cooking at someones house who has a fire alarm system that automatically calls 911 if it goes off. I'm always afraid I'll set off a false alarm and the fire department will be called. As for the sound, I don't really mind it.