Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ] 

Mountain Goat
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jun 2019, 6:18 pm

I like looking at designs of pylon. I used to have three pylons but I sold them to make space, but I do like the different designs. They have been well thought out. I thought this is a good subject to add for further discussion, as it is not often that you will see a pylon appreciation thread on a non pylon appreciation forum.
Anyone else appreciate how they have been designed?

Redxk
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jun 2019, 7:21 pm

At least in the US, the term "pylon" can be used to describe a variety of structures from very small to very large. Are you talking about miniatures? What do you mean, specifically, when you use the term?

Mountain Goat
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jun 2019, 7:26 pm

Redxk wrote:
At least in the US, the term "pylon" can be used to describe a variety of structures from very small to very large. Are you talking about miniatures? What do you mean, specifically, when you use the term?

Here in the UK they are used to carry a 132,000 volts electrical supply.

Redxk
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jun 2019, 7:32 pm

Mountain Goat wrote:
Redxk wrote:

Here in the UK they are used to carry a 132,000 volts electrical supply.

OK-yes, that is the most common sense of the term here, too. But you confused me when you wrote that you owned and sold some. They tend to be over 30 ft. tall...

Mountain Goat
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jun 2019, 4:57 am

Taller then that. 70ft?

The ones I had were models. I sold them a few months ago as I am reducing my collection of model railway items.

Redxk
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jun 2019, 5:12 am

Mountain Goat wrote:
Taller then that. 70ft?

The ones I had were models. I sold them a few months ago as I am reducing my collection of model railway items.

Yes, as tall as that. But now it makes sense!

Mountain Goat
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jun 2019, 5:49 am

I have noticed here in Britain that there are three sizes.

Mountain Goat
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jun 2019, 6:27 am

I have also noticed a few different designs. I have not looked into it myself as I would spend years on the subject when I want to devote my time to trains and bicycles etc.. But I do find it interesting. I am semi interested in them if that makes sense?