Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 

ImAnAspie
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jan 2015, 7:57 am

Sometimes when I try to use an expression, i can't quite remember how it goes and I end up making bits up, messing it up and looking like an idiot!

I suspect even NT's do this? Do you think it's just us?

Can anyone relate?

Your Aspie score: 151 of 200
Your neurotypical (non-autistic) score: 60 of 200

Formally diagnosed in 2007.

Learn the simple joy of being satisfied with little, rather than always wanting more.

arielhawksquill
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jan 2015, 8:31 am

It's common enough that there's a word for it, "malapropism".

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Malapropism

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jan 2015, 8:44 am

A lady I know says "that's just backward ass!". She can't say "ass-backward" without saying it "ass-backward"!

Both Mayor Daley of Chicago, and President George W. Bush were known for malapropisms.

My favorite Daleyism: "we will move to ever higher, and higher, platitudes of achievement!".

felinesaresuperior
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jan 2015, 11:11 am

I think we aspies cant gather just the right expression, or even the right tone of voice for that matter. I was told I dont put enough authority in my voice, and that's why children dont listen to me. We try on an expression the way someone tries on clothes, and end up with a complete different expression than the one we wanted.

Zajie
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jan 2015, 12:18 pm

I don't know how to make facial expressions lol but I do have face expressions which people find funny lol I mostly open my eyes wide and look awkward.

ImAnAspie
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jan 2015, 3:08 pm

Zajie wrote:
I don't know how to make facial expressions lol but I do have face expressions which people find funny lol I mostly open my eyes wide and look awkward.

Not that sort of expression, or mathematical expression or regular expression.

Expression as in, for example, say if you're with other people but you feel out of place and unwelcome, you could use the expression, "I feel like the the third wheel!" But instead of saying it correctly, you hesitate (because you can't remember what number wheel you're supposed to be) and end up saying, "I feel like the fifth wheel!"

Now that's embarrassing :oops:

Your Aspie score: 151 of 200
Your neurotypical (non-autistic) score: 60 of 200

Formally diagnosed in 2007.

Learn the simple joy of being satisfied with little, rather than always wanting more.