Page 1 of 5 [ 65 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Who_Am_I
Veteran
Veteran

16 Feb 2013, 3:38 am

Post things that you hear that make you think "I canNOT have heard that correctly.".

Yesterday, I swear I overheard a businessman say "Well, I'm an iPhone terrorist..."

Deceptive cadence: V- ANYTHING BUT I ! !! !
Beethoven cadence: V-I-V-I-V-V-V-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I
-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I! I! I! I I I

seaturtleisland
Veteran
Veteran

16 Feb 2013, 11:24 am

This isn't something that made me think I must have misheard. It's just strange because I don't know how I could have misheard it the way I did.

My dad and my brother had this exchange:

Dad: Montreal won last night

Mathew: Yes

This is what I heard:

Mathew: Where's mom

Dad: at work

How I reversed the order of speakers I don't know. How I got "where's mom" from any of what was actually said is beyond me.

2wheels4ever
Veteran
Veteran

17 Feb 2013, 12:43 am

I was just listening to a Jane's Addiction song and every time he sang "Obvious" it sounded like he was singing "Adios". I actually have a rather long list of song Mondegreens between me and my OLGF, I'll have to add this one to the list.

jk1
Veteran
Veteran

17 Feb 2013, 1:10 am

This is my sister's experience. She speaks English well, but it is not her first language and she was in Australia for vacation. She asked for 3 cappuccinos (for mum, another sis and herself), but she must have pronounced it like "3 cupteenos" and ended up receiving 3 cups of tea.

I answered a phone call from my friend's father. Let's call my friend John. I thought he said, "John's dead". For a moment I thought "OMG, John's dead!!". But then I realized that he was saying, "John's dad" to identify himself.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

17 Feb 2013, 9:58 am

my late mother was listening to the radio and started singing along with what was playing, "tennessee, tennessee...." when we heard the song it was actually "let it be." to be fair, she was japanese and english was tough for her. i heard the song "in the summertime" [mungo jerry] and for the longest time [until i read the lyrics] i thought he was singing "do the toilet-training five" when the actual lyric was "do a ton, a ton and twenty-five" [a "ton" is brit slang for 100 miles per hour]. :oops:

CyborgUprising
Veteran
Veteran

17 Feb 2013, 10:29 am

Not funny, but still relevant. At my one job, I was asked to get a bucket of coolant, but what I heard was to get tools. It should be noted that my hearing isn't the greatest. Now we just sign to each other to ensure clear communication.

Sylkat
Veteran
Veteran

17 Feb 2013, 10:58 am

I used to think that John Fogerty was singing 'Stuck In A Low Dive Again'

Instead of 'Stuck In Lodi Again'.

Sylkat

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

17 Feb 2013, 11:26 am

there is a website devoted to mondegreens called "kissthisguy.com."

CyborgUprising
Veteran
Veteran

17 Feb 2013, 11:36 am

Sylkat wrote:
I used to think that John Fogerty was singing 'Stuck In A Low Dive Again'

Instead of 'Stuck In Lodi Again'.

Sylkat

I misread that for a split second as "Stuck in Lordi Again" :oops: (disgruntled guitarist perhaps?)

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

17 Feb 2013, 12:09 pm

the last line of the song "mad world" is "halargian world" but is commonly misconstrued as "enlarge your world." i listened to it over and over again and absolutely could not hear "halargian world."

daydreamer84
Veteran
Veteran

17 Feb 2013, 1:21 pm

I always thought the line in the chorus of the song "Walking on the Sun" by Smashmouth was "Marlies will be walking on the sun" instead of "You might as well be walking on the sun." I thought Marlies were possibly something like martians.

Mindsigh
Veteran
Veteran

18 Feb 2013, 9:27 am

Steeleye Span, British folk-rockers of the 1970s, had a very bucolic song idealizing shepherds and shepherdesses and it had the line, "...where the fat oxen graze..." To me it always sounded like ..."where the mad dogs embrace..." I knew that couldn't be it, but it took me a couple of years to figure it out.

Cornflake
Administrator
Administrator

18 Feb 2013, 9:45 am

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A_B5UrI7nAI[/youtube]

mikassyna
Veteran
Veteran

18 Feb 2013, 9:56 am

As a kid I struggled figuring out song lyrics. I was stumped for a long time on Jingle Bells. My mother gave me quite the look when I asked her "Mom, what's a one-whore soapin' sleigh?" I had no idea what a whore was, so it didn't occur to me until many years later why she thought that was so funny.

cmoonbeam1
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

18 Feb 2013, 10:02 am

You know the song "Jammin'" by Bob Marley and the Wailers?

"We're jammin', jammin; I hope you like jammin', too!"

My sister used to think it was,

"We're German, German; I hope you like German food!"

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

18 Feb 2013, 12:32 pm

mikassyna wrote:
As a kid I struggled figuring out song lyrics. I was stumped for a long time on Jingle Bells. My mother gave me quite the look when I asked her "Mom, what's a one-whore soapin' sleigh?" I had no idea what a whore was, so it didn't occur to me until many years later why she thought that was so funny.

:lmao: