Page 1 of 2 [ 18 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Jitro
Veteran
Veteran

21 Feb 2013, 12:27 am

Spanking is terrible! People shouldn't spank their kids. It tells them from an early age that a good way to deal with things is to use violence.

Pondering
Veteran
Veteran

21 Feb 2013, 1:42 am

My parents barely hurt me when they spanked me and they sure tried... I suppose I'm a hard ass. Of coarse, to avoid actually being punched, kicked, or choked, I would act as if the spanking actually hurt... Spanking is not supposed to be about the pain, it's to sort of shock the child into thinking they don't want their butts smacked anymore. Some parents seem to think otherwise though. I don't support spanking to be honest, a parent should be strong, and not have to resort to any sort of violence to make their child behave. Spanking a child is basically admitting that you give up and have to resort to being physical, to teach the child a lesson.

Declension
Veteran
Veteran

21 Feb 2013, 1:45 am

I think spanking (like most things, even including murder) is the right thing to do in a certain situation. But this type of situation is much more rare than old-fashioned people tend to think.

Basically, if I heard that a parent spanked their kid one time, I wouldn't judge them because I don't know the circumstances. But if I heard that a parent relies on spanking their kid, then there's something wrong.

DJFester
Veteran
Veteran

21 Feb 2013, 5:23 am

A simple, open-handed swat is one thing, while beating with belts, paddles, etc. etc. is quite another.

GoonSquad
Veteran
Veteran

21 Feb 2013, 7:19 am

Spanking is not necessarily bad if done correctly... It is just another tool used to help train a child.

The trick is to be consistent and firm without being brutal.

In operant conditioning spanking can be effective as a positive punisher to deter unwanted behavior, but it needs to be followed quickly by reinforcement of the desired behavior.

Admittedly, most parents do not use spanking correctly.

CyclopsSummers
Veteran
Veteran

21 Feb 2013, 7:57 am

The Netherlands seem to have adopted an anti-spanking attitude toward child-raising ever since the 1970s, as far as I can perceive...

I was spanked as a child, growing up in the 1990s. A while ago, at work, I would tell anecdotes about being spanked, and one of my co-workers was quite stirred by this, saying that, legally, it amounts to abuse, which never occurred to me, nor would I characterise the upbringing I've enjoyed as 'abusive'. I myself would not resort to corporal punishment if I would ever be a father. But I understand why my mother would think it necessary in the cases where she applied spanking, and I don't feel angry toward her for it.

I choose to compare it to the corrective bites/snaps that are applied by animal parents- no normal animal will bite to harm their young while chastising them. I've observed abusive behaviour in coots, however, when a mother kept her chick from eating bread that was thrown into the water, wanting to keep it for herself, and biting her chick quite viciously. This is rare, as most coots will feed the chicks first.

b9
Veteran
Veteran

21 Feb 2013, 8:03 am

with regard to "spanking is violent":

i just had a very hilarious thought. i imagined 2 angry men arguing with each other in a bar, and it escalated to physical violence.
everyone is saying "fight fight fight fight!! !" and the 2 men start spanking each others bottoms.

i wish i could videotape my imagination of that because words do not convey the idea very well.

CaptainTrips222
Veteran
Veteran

21 Feb 2013, 2:46 pm

b9 wrote:

i just had a very hilarious thought. i imagined 2 angry men arguing with each other in a bar, and it escalated to physical violence.
everyone is saying "fight fight fight fight!! !" and the 2 men start spanking each others bottoms.

i wish i could videotape my imagination of that because words do not convey the idea very well.

That's funny. Can you imagine if law enforcement spanked offenders? "Alright, buddy, that's it. Get on the ground. GET ON THE GROUND!! !" Then they'd start hitting the offender's ass. Hip hop artists and country singers would be writing about getting spanked by the police.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

21 Feb 2013, 5:15 pm

in that case a spanking beats the hell out of a clubbing or tasing. they oughta outlaw those goddamned tasers! THEY are cruel and unusual punishment.

CyborgUprising
Veteran
Veteran

21 Feb 2013, 7:01 pm

"Spanking is wrong"

...but it feels so right. :twisted:

GoonSquad
Veteran
Veteran

21 Feb 2013, 7:11 pm

b9 wrote:

I think I saw a movie like that... :oops:

The men were wearing leather zipper masks and no pants. :lol:

danmac
Veteran
Veteran

21 Feb 2013, 7:30 pm

if done right AND had disciplined parenting skills they work without bad behaver later.
my brother has hatred still for some of the "beatings" we got, but we were 3 crazy brothers and he was raising us by himself. he would leave for work at 6 in the morning and be gone for 12 hours? what is he suppose to do when he got home to find: all the windows in the barns shot out with a b&b gun, or shooting each other, we burned down 6 barns at once, almost set the whole house on fire(we told them about it years later). for single parents it is hard, and now a days you can't leave a child unattended. I have also seen parents be too eazy on there kids and that lasts longer than beatings. one friend is in his late 30's and his mom won't let him do anything for himself, and he doesn't!! !

CaptainTrips222
Veteran
Veteran

22 Feb 2013, 2:15 am

auntblabby wrote:
in that case a spanking beats the hell out of a clubbing or tasing. they oughta outlaw those goddamned tasers! THEY are cruel and unusual punishment.

But they save a LOT of lives. It allows for effective, yet non lethal means of taking down offenders! Trust me on this one!

danmac
Veteran
Veteran

22 Feb 2013, 11:14 am

CaptainTrips222 wrote:
auntblabby wrote:

But they save a LOT of lives. It allows for effective, yet non lethal means of taking down offenders! Trust me on this one!

oh, they kill, yes I would choose it over being shot. we are too advanced to still use them......rubber bullets?

MollyTroubletail
Veteran
Veteran

22 Feb 2013, 11:18 am

Wait, a spanking is now bad?

But I loooooove being spanked! Oh wait, I'm not a kid.

Is it wrong to spank someone who wants it?

(by the way I'm not making light of the serious problem, I was physically abused as a child too.)

kra17
Veteran
Veteran

22 Feb 2013, 5:41 pm

Spanking is nice :twisted:
(not kids though!)