Page 1 of 3 [ 33 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

Zokk
Veteran
Veteran

22 Nov 2011, 4:41 am

Now that I'm volunteering at the local animal shelter, I'm getting to work with a lot of different dog breeds, and I've found that I'm most attracted to the larger working breeds, especially shepherds and shepherd mixes; both in appearance and temperament.

The other night wen I was there, I was walking through the kennels, and almost instantly zeroed in on a very handsome, seven-year-old, medium-sized shepherd mix named Buster in the strays section (click his name for a photo of him). I was just instantly captivated by him. Such a handsome and gentle, friendly dog. As much I as I wanted to adopt him on the spot, I really hope his owner took good care of him, and finds him and comes and takes him home again soon, and continues to take good care of him in the future. If he doens't get taken home again, then I hope he goes up for adoption and gets adopted by a kind, caring family in the near future.

He also reminds me of another shepherd mix I got to work with at a different animal shelter a long time ago; a dog named Brad. What a goofball he was; a major goober-dog. I never got to find out if he got adopted or not, though, unfortunately. I'm assuming he did, though. I mean, who could resist a dog that handsome, goofy and sweet?

Although, I don't particularly care much for the little yappy dogs, honestly. They're kind of cute, if we're not talking about bug-eyed chihuahuas, but their annoyance factor is still pretty high. My family and friends tend to have a saying: "If it doesn't at least come up to the middle of your shins at the shoulder, it's not a dog; it's a large rat."

TL;DR: I really like shepherds and shepherd mixes, whether they're German Shepherds, Australian Shepherds, Anatolian Shepherds, or what-have-you.

Of course, I still absolutely love my dog. He's a medium-sized yellow lab/brittany spaniel mix (click the breed for a photo of him; our cat is a bonus feature in the picture).

So, what are your favorite dog breeds?

Let's have photos to go with, too, shall we? Makes the thread that much more interesting.

pete1061
Veteran
Veteran

22 Nov 2011, 8:14 am

Golden Retrievers are really fun dogs :)

This is Jake, he was my sisters dog (and her cat, Sadie), .... Jake was one of my best friends ever.
He LOVED playing ball, I mean he really loved playing ball!!
I miss him :(

Diagnosed in 2005

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

22 Nov 2011, 2:55 pm

My dog. :O)

Sparx
Veteran
Veteran

22 Nov 2011, 5:14 pm

I'm a sucker for any type o' dog, really. Working in a shelter made me realise that even more.

shrox
Veteran
Veteran

22 Nov 2011, 5:18 pm

Border collie, I got Sydney from a Border Collie Rescue.

spaceappleseed
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

22 Nov 2011, 5:24 pm

Border Collies are my favorites too, but I know that if I had one where I live now it would eat my apartment! So I currently have a West Highland White Terrier. She is adorable, and slightly psychotic. And sleeping on my lap right now.

MakaylaTheAspie
Veteran
Veteran

Location: O'er the land of the so-called free and the home of the self-proclaimed brave. (Oregon)

22 Nov 2011, 5:40 pm

I've always had a soft spot for scotties and great danes. :)

pastafarian
Veteran
Veteran

22 Nov 2011, 7:00 pm

Jack Russels of course

If you want a proper, full- time friend who desparately needs all that love you have, its got to be a Jack.

But only if you want a full-time marriage and total doggy devotion.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

22 Nov 2011, 7:26 pm

Soft Coated Wheaten.

GreyGirl
Veteran
Veteran

22 Nov 2011, 9:02 pm

Retired racing greyhound

[img][img]http://i1137.photobucket.com/albums/n506/GreyGirlT/26964_103601313016152_100000988517808_29428_6902296_n.jpg[/img][/img]

My boy, Exceptional Trent. "Trent"

Last edited by GreyGirl on 29 Nov 2011, 6:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

VMSmith
Veteran
Veteran

23 Nov 2011, 7:18 am

dont care really. mutts and irish wolfhounds and are we counting dingos? i like them because theyre wild.

Rhiannon0828
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

23 Nov 2011, 11:02 am

Great picture of your pets, Zokk!

I like most dogs but I had two Shetland Sheepdogs (Shelties) as a child and will always be fond of them. I also especially like Irish Setters, English Springer Spaniels, Doberman Pinschers, and Siberian Huskies. I showed dogs in Obedience and Junior Showmanship classes when I was young.

EmilyRaven
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

23 Nov 2011, 1:21 pm

i like all kind of dogs mostly working dogs but i really like pitbulls and golden retrievers mix with labs :)

Ganondox
Veteran
Veteran

23 Nov 2011, 1:58 pm

Dachshunds.

Through other people's eyes

Autism FAQs http://www.wrongplanet.net/postt186115.html

tomboy4good
Veteran
Veteran

23 Nov 2011, 2:12 pm

I grew up with terriers & terrier crosses as a kid. Because my last dog was a toy fox terrier cross, I wanted a different breed of dog. Something I wouldn't compare to him. Ended up with a mutt. We don't know his pedigree since he came from a rescue. We've heard pomeranian, chihuahua, terrier, sheltie, American Eskimo, corgi, etc. Doesn't matter....he's a great dog. He's smart & will go anywhere we go. He's been to the beach, the snow, crosses streams (little ones since he's not really big enough for anything large-he'd be swept away). He's always game to do new things. Loves riding in the car too. If we just hang out at home, he's ok with that too.

Currently, we're fostering a puppy who will also be up for adoption. He's a terrier mix. Unfortunately, I compare him to both my former & current dogs which really isn't fair to him. He resembles my old dog a lot, which doesn't help. He's full of energy, & a handful. I prefer a calm dog to one who bounces off the walls. LOL He'd probably excel at agility training. What he lacks in size, he more than makes up for with heart. I hope he finds his forever family & home soon!

Tomboy

Aspie Score: 173/200, NT score 31/200: very likely an Aspie
5/18/11: New Aspie test: 72/72
DX: Anxiety plus ADHD/Aspergers: inconclusive

GoonSquad
Veteran
Veteran

23 Nov 2011, 3:41 pm

I'm a sucker for any smart mutt between 20-40lbs...

but for a particular breed, it's hard to beat a rat/roosevelt terrier.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Xjvz5QxD18&feature=related[/youtube]

This dog is just like my boy Muggs.