Is anyone here interested in Star Ships?

Page 2 of 3 [ 48 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Titangeek
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 22 Aug 2010
Age: 28
Gender: Male
Posts: 7,696
Location: somewhere in the vicinity of betelgeuse

09 May 2013, 12:07 am

My point is, the final battle in BSG took place on event horizon of a black hole, the Galactica relied on it's armor to protect it, would the Enterprises shields work under the same conditions?


_________________
Always be yourself, express yourself, have faith in yourself, do not go out and look for a successful personality and duplicate it.
- Bruce Lee


BlueMax
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 27 Aug 2007
Age: 47
Gender: Male
Posts: 5,285

09 May 2013, 12:21 am

Titangeek wrote:
My point is, the final battle in BSG took place on event horizon of a black hole, the Galactica relied on it's armor to protect it, would the Enterprises shields work under the same conditions?


Since I doubt the black hole will pull the energy itself away from the shield unless close enough to also pull in matter, I vote YES, it'll still work, though likely less stable.

(I'll bet there's an uber-geek out there somewhere that answered this better but I can't find it!) ;)



Titangeek
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 22 Aug 2010
Age: 28
Gender: Male
Posts: 7,696
Location: somewhere in the vicinity of betelgeuse

09 May 2013, 12:33 am

BlueMax wrote:
Titangeek wrote:
My point is, the final battle in BSG took place on event horizon of a black hole, the Galactica relied on it's armor to protect it, would the Enterprises shields work under the same conditions?


Since I doubt the black hole will pull the energy itself away from the shield unless close enough to also pull in matter, I vote YES, it'll still work, though likely less stable.

(I'll bet there's an uber-geek out there somewhere that answered this better but I can't find it!) ;)


I wonder what effect hawking radiation has on shields...


_________________
Always be yourself, express yourself, have faith in yourself, do not go out and look for a successful personality and duplicate it.
- Bruce Lee


BlueMax
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 27 Aug 2007
Age: 47
Gender: Male
Posts: 5,285

09 May 2013, 12:50 am

Heck, let's add another cool world to this:

DRIVE - a comic from the creator of "Sheldon"

Image



BanjoGirl
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 24 Mar 2012
Age: 39
Gender: Female
Posts: 644

09 May 2013, 6:10 am

Titangeek wrote:
My point is, the final battle in BSG took place on event horizon of a black hole, the Galactica relied on it's armor to protect it, would the Enterprises shields work under the same conditions?


I think I heard in "the next generation series" that Enterprise has magnetic insulation against antimatter. I don't know if I translated it well into English.


_________________
I don't use English since September 2007.


BanjoGirl
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 24 Mar 2012
Age: 39
Gender: Female
Posts: 644

09 May 2013, 6:19 am

BlueMax wrote:
Heck, let's add another cool world to this:

DRIVE - a comic from the creator of "Sheldon"

Image


This is great stuff! :o


_________________
I don't use English since September 2007.


BanjoGirl
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 24 Mar 2012
Age: 39
Gender: Female
Posts: 644

09 May 2013, 6:22 am

I watched this cartoon when I was a child.

Cute spaceship in a windy universe.

Image


_________________
I don't use English since September 2007.


Tollorin
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 14 Jun 2009
Age: 39
Gender: Male
Posts: 3,178
Location: Sherbrooke, Québec, Canada

09 May 2013, 11:02 am

Of course I like star ships, they fast, powerful, cool and the only way to get out of this planet!

Titangeek wrote:
If were debating who would win in a fight. I say the Galactica. She may not be as advanced as ships from Star Trek or Andromeda. But unlike those ships, she can be virtually cut in half and still function. Not to mention her supply of Vipers, Raptors, and nukes. SO SAY WE ALL! ]

The photon torpedoes of Star Trek get a power yield of 64.4 megatons, more powerful that the most powerful nuke ever detonated the Tsar Bomba (50 megatons).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Weapons_in_Star_Trek#Photon_torpedoes

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QjeqRVA_bi4[/youtube]

So they don't need nukes, they already got things more powerful than nuke, and they can resist it!



Vertex
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

User avatar

Joined: 29 Mar 2013
Age: 26
Gender: Male
Posts: 228
Location: United States-California

09 May 2013, 2:40 pm

danandlouie wrote:
save your pennies vertex, it won't be long until virgin galactic will offer sub orbital fights on a true rocket ship. all you need is 200,000 dollars. there is a long waiting list so reserve your place early.

my favorite starship is the ship raul endynion uses in the dan simmons hyperion series of books. old school and latest tech combined.....with an emotional computer.


I hear they're naming the first two ships Enterprise and Voyager, in honor of Star Trek.

My top ten fictional Star Ships would have to be:

1. Enterprise (all letters)

2. Defiant

3. Voyager

4. Executor Class Star Dreadnaught

5. Imperial Class Star Destroyer

6. Daedalus Class (Star Gate)

7. Battlestar Galactica

8. Millennium Falcon

9. Serenity

10. Omega Destroyer



Titangeek
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 22 Aug 2010
Age: 28
Gender: Male
Posts: 7,696
Location: somewhere in the vicinity of betelgeuse

09 May 2013, 3:03 pm

Tollorin wrote:
Of course I like star ships, they fast, powerful, cool and the only way to get out of this planet!

Titangeek wrote:
If were debating who would win in a fight. I say the Galactica. She may not be as advanced as ships from Star Trek or Andromeda. But unlike those ships, she can be virtually cut in half and still function. Not to mention her supply of Vipers, Raptors, and nukes. SO SAY WE ALL! ]

The photon torpedoes of Star Trek get a power yield of 64.4 megatons, more powerful that the most powerful nuke ever detonated the Tsar Bomba (50 megatons).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Weapons_in_Star_Trek#Photon_torpedoes

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QjeqRVA_bi4[/youtube]

So they don't need nukes, they already got things more powerful than nuke, and they can resist it!


Your assuming that the torpedo could actually get to the Galactica, for one thing, they the Galactica's Vipers make an effect first line against missiles as well as fighters, if they get past that, they would have to get past the field of exploding shells that the Galactica surrounds its self with in battle. The ships in Star Trek don't seem to have much in the way of missile defense, other then their shields.


_________________
Always be yourself, express yourself, have faith in yourself, do not go out and look for a successful personality and duplicate it.
- Bruce Lee


Nambo
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 31 Aug 2007
Age: 63
Gender: Male
Posts: 2,882
Location: Prussia

09 May 2013, 3:38 pm

Maybe you will enjoy the new Elite game that some of us have been waiting and hoping for for around 20 years to be made.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6gMbLjUjs1w[/youtube]



Dillogic
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 24 Nov 2011
Gender: Male
Posts: 7,770

09 May 2013, 5:00 pm

Galactica loses very quickly to common Federation vessels. Just how it goes.

A Fed vessel can just stay outside of visual and sensor range and launch torpedoes that can't be shot down by low velocity KE projectiles. Galactica won't even have time to respond (not that they have any way of shooting them down anyway), other than seeing the torpedoes closing absurdly fast on DRADIS.

The tech level difference is quite absurd. I'm not a fan of "versus debates" though. Silly measuring contests.



Titangeek
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 22 Aug 2010
Age: 28
Gender: Male
Posts: 7,696
Location: somewhere in the vicinity of betelgeuse

09 May 2013, 5:03 pm

Galactica could simply jump well out of torpedo range as soon as it detects inbound missiles.


_________________
Always be yourself, express yourself, have faith in yourself, do not go out and look for a successful personality and duplicate it.
- Bruce Lee


Laz
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 8 Dec 2005
Age: 40
Gender: Male
Posts: 4,540
Location: Dave's Toilet

09 May 2013, 5:46 pm

Even if the Galactica could hop away all the time with its FTL jump drive they will never be able to truly run away from a warp capable vessel. It then becomes a matter of attrition and a federation ship with replicators, antimatter-matter power source designed for long periods out in space away from support will eventually win out.

The Galactica is basically a glorified USS Lexington in space. It doesn't have a main forward battery to fall back on like the Pegasus. Its dependent on fighters and nuclear warheads which disperse the majority of their explosive potential away from the target compared to an antimatter/matter explosion from photon/quantum torpedoes which is also highly focused so that the energy goes almost entirely towards the target (hence why you don't get a blinding flash every time the torpedoes hit)

Their weapon systems are also based on ballistic technology. Ballistics in the Trek universe are rendered utterly obsolete by refractive shield technology.

It's a rather unfair comparison to make TBH because the rules behind the tech of the Trek and BSG canon universe are just totally different.

The emphasis on naval combat in Trek is Napoleonic style ship combat (especially if you watch the battles in DS9) Fast attack ships have a role to play but single pilot fighters are just small fry in ship to ship combat in the Trek universe. Most of the major powers long abandoned drones or carriers by the TNG era as a mainstay of their fleets usually they only serve in planetary defence or militia roles


_________________
"Tall people can be recognized by three things: generosity in the design, humanity in the execution and moderation in success"


BlueMax
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 27 Aug 2007
Age: 47
Gender: Male
Posts: 5,285

09 May 2013, 6:11 pm

Titangeek wrote:
Your assuming that the torpedo could actually get to the Galactica, for one thing, they the Galactica's Vipers make an effect first line against missiles as well as fighters, if they get past that, they would have to get past the field of exploding shells that the Galactica surrounds its self with in battle. The ships in Star Trek don't seem to have much in the way of missile defense, other then their shields.


That seemed to be addressed in the latest Trek 2009 film... that early Enterprise at the beginning was firing little point defence lasers like mad, wiping out many of those rockets/torpedoes both from itself and the fleeing shuttles.

But only 65MT??? I'd have figured that with the technology of the future, they'd have WAY more punch!
...then again, the nukes used in the Galactica reboot were only ~10KT, 60x smaller!
Armour or not, the Galactica would easily succumb to a single torpedo hit... those Viper pilots will certainly earn their cubits! ;)


On that note, I think I read somewhere about a Galaxy Quest 2 coming out at some point... :D
"Never give up! Never surrender!"



Titangeek
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 22 Aug 2010
Age: 28
Gender: Male
Posts: 7,696
Location: somewhere in the vicinity of betelgeuse

09 May 2013, 6:20 pm

BlueMax wrote:
Titangeek wrote:
Your assuming that the torpedo could actually get to the Galactica, for one thing, they the Galactica's Vipers make an effect first line against missiles as well as fighters, if they get past that, they would have to get past the field of exploding shells that the Galactica surrounds its self with in battle. The ships in Star Trek don't seem to have much in the way of missile defense, other then their shields.


That seemed to be addressed in the latest Trek 2009 film... that early Enterprise at the beginning was firing little point defence lasers like mad, wiping out many of those rockets/torpedoes both from itself and the fleeing shuttles.

But only 65MT??? I'd have figured that with the technology of the future, they'd have WAY more punch!
...then again, the nukes used in the Galactica reboot were only ~10KT, 60x smaller!
Armour or not, the Galactica would easily succumb to a single torpedo hit... those Viper pilots will certainly earn their cubits! ;)


On that note, I think I read somewhere about a Galaxy Quest 2 coming out at some point... :D
"Never give up! Never surrender!"


Does the 2009 movie really count as the same universe? It was an alternate timeline.
If I remember correctly, the nukes in BSG weren't nukes in the since of modern ICBMs, they had a variable yield, kind of like photon torpedoes. The yield can be dialed in from 5 to 150 kilotons per warhead.
And this isn't counting the fact that when the Galactica was modified with Cylon jump systems, she could jump in at point blank range, conceivably within the a star ship's shields.


_________________
Always be yourself, express yourself, have faith in yourself, do not go out and look for a successful personality and duplicate it.
- Bruce Lee