Page 1 of 1 [ 13 posts ] 

andy1976uk
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jan 2007, 10:01 pm

Does anyone ever get the feeling that they're about to have an out-of-body-experience? You're just sitting there, then all of a sudden it feels like you're in 2 places at once.

I haven't even had that much caffeine today and no alcohol and I've slept more than enough recently. :(

Starbuline
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jan 2007, 10:02 pm

I feel like that when I'm in social situations.

Gamester
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jan 2007, 10:22 pm

we paranormalists call that demonic possession. probably level 3 possession.

en_una_isla
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jan 2007, 10:23 pm

I have every symptom of Depersonalization Disorder, which feels like that.

Gamester
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jan 2007, 10:24 pm

uhm.

what is Depersonialization Disorder?

en_una_isla
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jan 2007, 10:34 pm

Gamester wrote:
uhm.

what is Depersonialization Disorder?

Diagnostic criteria for 300.6 Depersonalization Disorder

A. Persistent or recurrent experiences of feeling detached from, and as if one is an outside observer of, one's mental processes or body (e.g., feeling like one is in a dream).

B. During the depersonalization experience, reality testing remains intact.

C. The depersonalization causes clinically significant distress or impairment in social, occupational, or other important areas of functioning.

D. The depersonalization experience does not occur exclusively during the course of another mental disorder, such as Schizophrenia, Panic Disorder, Acute Stress Disorder, or another Dissociative Disorder, and is not due to the direct physiological effects of a substance (e.g., a drug of abuse, a medication) or a general medical condition (e.g., temporal lobe epilepsy).

Warren
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

20 Jan 2007, 10:36 pm

I thought it was perfectly natural to feel like that occassionally for a few hours at a time??

I do also find it odd when you feel so distant from your body in that way, as i wander sometimes if its reality or all just a dream. Can be odd for a few seconds when Im back inside me as I think the last few hours were a dream yet the evidence proves otherwise.

Flagg
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jan 2007, 2:14 am

Depersonalization Disorder sounds like Doppelganger Effect.

Gamester
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jan 2007, 2:39 am

and what is Doppleganger Effect?

Flagg
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jan 2007, 2:40 am

Shahar Arzy and colleagues of the University Hospital, Geneva, Switzerland, unexpectedly reproduced an effect strongly reminiscent of the Doppelganger phenomena via the electrical stimulation of a patient's brain. They applied focal electrical stimulation to a patient's left temporoparietal junction while she lay flat on a bed. The patient immediately felt the presence of another person in her "extrapersonal space". Other than epilepsy, for which the patient was being treated, she was psychologically fit.

The other person was described as young, of indeterminate sex, who did not speak nor move and whose body posture was identical to her own. The other person was located exactly behind her, almost touching and therefore within the bed that the patient was lying on.

A second electrical stimulation was applied with slightly more intensity, while the patient was sitting up with her arms folded. This time the patient felt the presence of a "man" who had his arms wrapped around her. She described the sensation as highly unpleasant and electrical stimulation was stopped.

Finally, when the patient was seated, electrical stimulation was applied while the patient was asked to perform language test with a set of flash cards. On this occasion the patient reported the presence of a sitting person, displaced behind her and to the right. She said that the presence was attempting to interfere with the test, "He wants to take the card; He doesn’t want me to read". Again, the effect was disturbing and electrical stimulation was ceased.

Similar effects were found for different positions and postures when electrical stimulation exceeded 10mA, at the left temporoparietal junction.

Arzy and colleagues suggest that the left temporoparietal junction of the brain evokes the sensation of self image — body location, position, posture etc. When the left temporoparietal junction is disturbed, the sensation of self-attribution is broken and may be replaced by the sensation of a foreign presence or copy of oneself displaced nearby. This copy mirrors the real person's body posture, location and position. Arzy and colleagues suggest that the phenomenon they created is seen in certain mental illnesses, such as schizophrenia, particularly when accompanied by paranoia, persecution and alien control. Nevertheless, the effects reported by Arzy and colleagues are highly reminiscent of the Doppelganger phenomenon. Accordingly, some reports of the Doppelganger phenomenon may well be due to failure of the left temporoparietal junction.

See Monothematic delusion for a detailed description of various psychological problems including Syndrome of subjective doubles — a scientific view of the Doppelganger phenomena.

From Wikipedia

Gamester
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jan 2007, 2:42 am

okay.

wow.

thankfully I don't think I've ever been that way.

Flagg
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jan 2007, 2:44 am

Cool isn't it?

I actually had a doppelganger effect test. It was really spooky and X -files like.

Gamester
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jan 2007, 2:53 am

Gah.

I think I experience it when I sleep sometimes and I get my weird freaky prophetic dreams.