Page 1 of 1 [ 13 posts ] 

EvilKimEvil
Veteran
Veteran

14 Feb 2008, 12:27 am

I love treehouses. I would like to live in one. It is possible to construct a house large enough to live in that is completely supported by one or more trees. If done properly, it does not hurt the tree.

http://www.treehouseworkshop.com/portfolio.html

Image Image Image

Kalister1
Veteran
Veteran

14 Feb 2008, 12:45 am

Quite beautiful.

Brittany2907
The ultimate storm is eternally on it's
The ultimate storm is eternally on it's

14 Feb 2008, 2:56 am

Ooooh I love the last tree house picture posted here. I wouldn't mind living in something like that.

Tim_Tex
Veteran
Veteran

14 Feb 2008, 5:19 am

Unfortunately, I live in a semi-arid climate, and there aren't that many trees. And even if there were, a treehouse may be short-lived because I also live near the heart of Tornado Alley.

Now proficient in ChatGPT!

Irulan
Veteran
Veteran

14 Feb 2008, 5:52 am

I have never seen anything like that in Poland. Only in films produced in the US :D

skahthic
Veteran
Veteran

14 Feb 2008, 7:39 am

It sounds cool, but a house like that around here would be short lived, too. We DO also get tornados... but the big reality is that trees grow. Alot. Quickly. The house would end up having its walls bent apart, buckling under the pressure. Then rain would leak in. Then I'd have to find cover.

Tim_Tex
Veteran
Veteran

14 Feb 2008, 8:08 am

And we get frequent ice storms here, too, so the branches might not hold.

And in the summer, it frequently gets up into the 105-110 degree range.

Now proficient in ChatGPT!

Last edited by Tim_Tex on 14 Feb 2008, 2:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

richardbenson
Xfractor Card #351
Xfractor Card #351

14 Feb 2008, 12:59 pm

those pictures rule and i wanna live in tree houses :P :jester:

EvilKimEvil
Veteran
Veteran

14 Feb 2008, 11:46 pm

skahthic wrote:
It sounds cool, but a house like that around here would be short lived, too. We DO also get tornados... but the big reality is that trees grow. Alot. Quickly. The house would end up having its walls bent apart, buckling under the pressure. Then rain would leak in. Then I'd have to find cover.

Those problems have been addressed successfully with various architectural innovations. Treehouses can last a long time, as long as the tree is alive. And even if the tree died, it could be replaced by support beams. People build treehouses in all types of environments that support trees. They are no more likely to be struck by tornadoes than any other structure. See the link I posted above for more info. It contains basic information and has links to a lot of other treehouse sites.

woodsman25
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

15 Feb 2008, 6:54 am

That certainly was not anything like the tree house me and my buddies built as kids.

ClosetAspy
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

15 Feb 2008, 4:50 pm

Anybody familiar with the book Treehouses, A View From the Top, by John Harris? There's some fantastic designs in there.

I want a tree house too, I never had one as a kid. I was always climbing trees though.

As far as tornadoes go, everyone knows that they like to strike mobile home parks. So I would say that you are probably safer in a treehouse than in a mobile home. The tornado will hit the trailer and spare the tree.

Paladin_Cecil
Veteran
Veteran

15 Feb 2008, 9:13 pm

I'd use an Ent as a treehouse. =)

Karfain
Butterfly
Butterfly

31 Jul 2013, 11:14 am

I have the same problem. I want to be a hermit and live in a treehouse in the midst of some woods, but I know that's impractical. There is a way to build a treehouse so that the tree doesn't destroy it, but I don't know how to build anything, much less a proper treehouse.