Page 3 of 4 [ 49 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

nuttyengineer
Toucan
Toucan

26 Jul 2013, 7:34 pm

If I'm driving someplace familiar, I'm in the car alone, the weather's good, and there is nothing unexpected on the roads, then I drive just fine. Remove any one of those, however, and you've get an exceptionally nuttyengineer on your hands... and I start driving like an idiot.

cloudburst
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

26 Jul 2013, 9:56 pm

Count me in as another person who loves driving at night. In the daytime, it feels like I'm in a video game I shouldn't be playing.

cberg
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jul 2013, 2:07 am

Nambo wrote:
androbot2084 wrote:
Anybody ride a motorcycle?

I have 5.
All old and British, I ride one to work every day, been riding since 76.
As for driving a car, I only needed 9 lessons to pass first time, during one of the lessons the instructor was particularly impressed when I was waiting to join a line of traffic from a side road, it was such a busy time of day that no large gap presented itself, now I wasn't going to waste my hours lesson sitting at a junction, so as soon as a gap large enough for a car presented itself, I accelerated and turned hard enough that the wheels were spinning and slotted right into that gap without the next car even having to slow down.

My mom's never going to forgive it, but I know I'll buy one eventually. I'm a mountain bike geek already and I really like supermotos... pretty sure I'd rather start with a small sport tourer or enduro like a Nighthawk or Triumph Tiger though.

-Gem Tos :mrgreen:

Noetic
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jul 2013, 2:11 am

Driving was totally overwhelming for me, yet I passed my test first time. I then didn't drive for 13 years until I got my car. It's a semi automatic and I'm now a competent, confident and law-abiding (can NOT stand speeders and people who don't indicate) driver after some years worth of practice.

Theuniverseman
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

28 Jul 2013, 2:25 am

I am building a jeep cherokee which will be at least as capable as this one

I love to drive, but I hate other drivers because most people are stupid, I'll just say that driving off road requires a certain amount of skill, and I love to drive off road :wink:

Systemizing quotient - 52
Aspie-quiz ? AS: 151 NT: 61

savvyidentity
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

28 Jul 2013, 2:27 am

Terrible. My instructor shouted at me a few times.. he really had to learn patience and tried to so hard and finally managed it.

Cornflake
Administrator
Administrator

28 Jul 2013, 7:18 am

[Moved from General Autism Discussion to Random Discussion]

Veteran
Veteran

28 Jul 2013, 7:46 am

I'm a bit aggresive in my personal vehicle, I'll admit. I shouldn't probably be, but people just can't f*****g drive in Seattle and it's highly annoying.

At work I'm alot safer, I stay in the right lane and I rarely exceed 60 MPH. I let everyone and their mother pass me and I stay far behind. I guess it's alot different in a semi truck, though.

Brainfre3ze_93
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jul 2013, 8:50 am

I would say I'm a good driver, because I've not gotten into any wrecks or in trouble with the police. All within the time span of five years, and I just recently renewed my driver's license for another five years. Now if only my insurance could go down?

Last edited by Brainfre3ze_93 on 29 Jul 2013, 8:59 am, edited 1 time in total.

BirdInFlight
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jul 2013, 10:50 am

Harrison54 wrote:
I've never succumbed to road rage since I was a kid but I am a very defensive driver so tend to avoid trouble.

Are you referring to me just because I said that tailgaters make me angry? That's not exactly me getting textbook road rage but it's THEM, the tailgaters who are being aggressive to ME.

Road rage doesn't just mean ANY anger felt in a car, justified or not. It's when someone drives aggressively and takes something out on another driver with the way they're driving. I'm not the one driving aggressively, I'm the one being driven up the back of, and the person won't even just pass me even when there's an opportunity...

I'm talking about the times when it's the other guy being a complete dick even though I'M letting them pass, driving the limit, doing what I can to not have invited that crap...I think my own anger and fear at that is a human reaction. It's the other guy you need to question about actual road rage. I'm just hanging onto my wheel wishing the dick would just go around.

Last edited by BirdInFlight on 28 Jul 2013, 11:00 am, edited 2 times in total.

babybird
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jul 2013, 10:53 am

I don't drive and I really have no inclination to do so. However, if I was to drive 'm sure I would be really good at it.

sociable_hermit
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jul 2013, 12:05 pm

I love driving. It's theraputic - I get into a rhythmn, and feel 'at one' with the car. I can sense what it is doing and concentrate on getting the most out of it. Not necessarily insanely fast - though I can be very quick sometimes - but more about getting the journey to flow smoothly, and with optimal mechanical sympathy for the car. It is very rewarding.

Driving at night I am ok with, however driving at night if there is heavy rain or snow I do find incredibly tiring, due to the level of concentration required. That's about the only time I don't like being in a car.

Harrison54

28 Jul 2013, 1:45 pm

BirdInFlight wrote:
Harrison54 wrote:
I've never succumbed to road rage since I was a kid but I am a very defensive driver so tend to avoid trouble.

Are you referring to me just because I said that tailgaters make me angry?...

No; my sentence was about me, the only link to what you said was that it triggered me into analyzing my reactions in such situations.
What you do or how you react is entirely up to you :)

cberg
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jul 2013, 3:25 pm

Theuniverseman wrote:
I am building a jeep cherokee which will be at least as capable as this one

I love to drive, but I hate other drivers because most people are stupid, I'll just say that driving off road requires a certain amount of skill, and I love to drive off road :wink:

I'm a decent off road driver but I'm in love with rally. If it's got four cylinders, goes sideways fast and is not a Mitsubishi, I'm there. My daily driver is my builder! :P

Relicanth7
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jul 2013, 11:40 pm

VisInsita wrote:
I don’t have a driver’s license. I am too aloof to drive a car. Even while I ride my bike I really have to fight against my natural inner tendency to be all zoned out. I consciously command myself to keep the focus on the traffic and not in trees, birds or in all those other inner or outer things that are constantly drawing my attention.

Plus I like riding a bike. It's healthy, cheap and ecological.

I loved when I lived close enough to my job to ride there, twas an awesome feeing... Wind, the rain, not having to spend 18 tonnes of money on gas!! ! *the kicker*... Yeah... not the case anymore... :(

cberg
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jul 2013, 3:01 am

When I'm not working my car exists solely for my amusement and convenience. Hell, I like biking in snow!