Woke up, no feeling in the foot, fell, now bleeding

Page 1 of 1 [ 14 posts ] 

ChromaticRaven
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

09 Aug 2013, 5:56 pm

Just about 25 minutes ago i woke up after being a sleep for only 2 hours and a half, upon awekening i felt an instant urge to get up walking - so i tried to do that. But as i stood up and tried to walk, my left foot went sort of numb, making me fall together on the floor. Next thing i know i have this pulsing pain in my toe area, and I'm bleeding a lot from the same place (that's what it looks like from my point of view anyways). I have a hard time coping with bleeding and just ended up feeling sick of the sight. I can't really detect where it's bleeding from yet, but damn this whole happening gave me a scare. I haven't tried to stand up on the foot yet, as i for some bizarre reason are still to shaken up to try to see if it's still numb.

Could some one be a lamb and try to make out what just happened to me - maybe it will calm me down more, and give me the courage to try stand up.

Shatbat
Veteran
Veteran

09 Aug 2013, 6:08 pm

Were you completely alright before it? It is still numb, but there is also a pulsing pain, those two contradict each other a bit so what do you feel exactly? Do you live with someone, or can call someone you trust who can go there and help you if needed? Did you feel anything strange before standing up?

My first educated guess is that you slept in a position that cut blood flow or put pressure on some nerve of your left foot; when you stood up suddenly it was still numb from that and unable to support you, and the fall somehow damaged one of your toes and made it bleed. Is it still bleeding, btw? If so, you should put something on it to stop the haemorrhaging.

glow
Veteran
Veteran

09 Aug 2013, 6:19 pm

Get out the peas, or ask Cockney Rebel for some!

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

09 Aug 2013, 6:31 pm

if you have an urgent/emergent care center close to you, I would go there ASAP. numbness and bleeding=not a good combination.

babybird
Veteran
Veteran

09 Aug 2013, 6:36 pm

You need to get some kind of medical attention. ASAP.

Enc
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

09 Aug 2013, 6:52 pm

So how did this story ends? I guess you hurted your foot and/or nail when you felt down? That might give some mess with blood.

Numb when you are awake is pretty normal. When you stand up and everything is still numb you fall down.

At least, I hope I am right and you are all ok :)

jk1
Veteran
Veteran

09 Aug 2013, 7:25 pm

I often wake up with a numb arm because I have a habit of sleeping on my stomach with my arms under my chin as a kind of pillow. It's really scary when that happens, but the sensation comes back very quickly when I change my arm position.

How did your numbness happen? Most likely your foot must have been in an awkward position. And you must have hurt your nail or something when you fell as someone already suggested.

You might want to see the doctor about it though. Both about the bleeding and about the numbness. I don't mean to scare you but I have heard a story about someone waking up numb in some part of the body and it turning out to be advanced brain cancer.

FabianV
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

09 Aug 2013, 8:43 pm

Sounds like the circulation to your leg was cut off when you were asleep, which is likely what woke you up too. You could've hit your toe fairly badly in the fall, in which case the bleeding would be coming from under the toenail itself, which can make putting pressure on it a bit painful. Done both of these things myself before and quite frankly s**t bricks, but it turned out to be nothing.

Try getting up using a leg and grabbing something nearby for support if you can, then gradually putting more pressure on the other leg until you're confident you can support yourself on it.
Presumably you're an otherwise healthy person, so it's probs just sleeping position, but you can always consult a doctor if only to put any fears to rest.

Mindsigh
Veteran
Veteran

09 Aug 2013, 9:28 pm

Please let us know that you're okay.

glow
Veteran
Veteran

10 Aug 2013, 3:43 am

:? This sounds like concussion. you just kind of blacked out and then when you woke up you hit something on the floor which pierced through your toe giving you something called pins and needles its happened before to me, just maybe not the first bit.

ChromaticRaven
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

10 Aug 2013, 3:53 am

I'm so thankful for all of you who responded - it really warmed my heart to see you trying to help out :)

A few minutes after writing, I managed to get to my phone and send a message to my aunt, she and my grandmother came 40 minutes later and helped me to the emergency to get it checked. Turned out i had gotten a cut in one of my toes almost into the bone, so i had to make 3 stitches . My foot is all good now, but my toes hurt slightly still. 1 week of taking it easy and trying not to walk to much, then the stitches will be taken out again.

FabianV
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

10 Aug 2013, 4:54 am

Good to know you're okay, did sound a little bit scary.

Enc
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

10 Aug 2013, 5:06 am

ChromaticRaven wrote:
I'm so thankful for all of you who responded - it really warmed my heart to see you trying to help out :)

A few minutes after writing, I managed to get to my phone and send a message to my aunt, she and my grandmother came 40 minutes later and helped me to the emergency to get it checked. Turned out i had gotten a cut in one of my toes almost into the bone, so i had to make 3 stitches . My foot is all good now, but my toes hurt slightly still. 1 week of taking it easy and trying not to walk to much, then the stitches will be taken out again.

Yay, glad you are 'okay' :)

jk1 wrote:
I often wake up with a numb arm because I have a habit of sleeping on my stomach with my arms under my chin as a kind of pillow. It's really scary when that happens, but the sensation comes back very quickly when I change my arm position.

Yeah this happens to me as well. In fact, it's my main reason not to sleep on my belly anymore. My arms always get stuck somehow. I remember once I was holding one arm with another. I do that alot when I just wake up for whatever reason. But I couldn't feel my arm anymore and went looking where my arm did go :lol: (when you are just awake you can't think straight..)

I found out my other was still 'sleeping'/numb and I let go off it!! :roll: My arm falls down right on my head haha. That hurted so much, never knew a falling arm was so heavy..

babybird
Veteran
Veteran

10 Aug 2013, 5:25 am

You must have been on my mind because I was dreaming that I had glass in my toe and it was bleeding.

I'm glad you got it sorted. :D