The best way to keep your pictures/albums/CD's/movies safe

Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 

Lukario
Veteran
Veteran

12 Aug 2013, 4:51 pm

I have cut good pictures of myself, others and nature from pictures on the walls, albums, magazines and my camera/phone/PC, put them in a photostoring cardboard box (pictures and movies you post online and on image and video sharing sites (google, google+, flickr, photobucket, imageshack, deviantart etc. and on your PC/mobile etc. can get abused/hacked and removed, the accounts can be deleted when you die I think and YOU are the only one who can log in to look at them and use them + mobile phone cards, harddisks and PC's don't last forever) and I plan on packing and taping them as well as my movies I've burned/copied over to CD's into a cardboard moving box and store it in a cool/not too hot and safe place (because cardboard can't resist too much heat) like the basement of a/the preferably young(est) family member.

Last edited by Lukario on 13 Aug 2013, 3:00 am, edited 5 times in total.

Popsicle
Veteran
Veteran

12 Aug 2013, 4:53 pm

Sounds good.

Photo conservation is important. You're building a legacy for your descendants or other future family members to cherish.

Digital files eventually degrade and many are neglecting to keep paper copies of photos, or to store them properly.

Lukario
Veteran
Veteran

12 Aug 2013, 4:59 pm

Thanks, one thing I haven't decided about is if I want to have an extra just to be sure and/or one who they can look at, if I had to choose it would be completely taped together with "Private (insert my name's) property, do not open" being written in a black marker or ink.

Last edited by Lukario on 12 Aug 2013, 5:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Popsicle
Veteran
Veteran

12 Aug 2013, 5:02 pm

I think having some safely put away and copies put into an album they can look at and enjoy is a great idea.

KingdomOfRats
Veteran
Veteran

12 Aug 2013, 5:30 pm

in terms of non physical photos,host them on as many cloud,active email accounts,facebook/social networks and file hosting sites as possible,that way if a external or internal harddrive goes bad or everything is formatted there is always the chance to get them back.
zip everything up to a maximum level so its easily obtainable,doesnt fail upload or download and wont be refused upload by shtty sites like yahoo email.
yes, it means having to have a fckload of small zip packages and the extra time spent doing this but that is better than not backing up and one day finding the thing has FUBARd.

if are security concious with these photos,make sure to password protect them with something that will always be memorable but not to other people.

>>>help to keep bullying off our community,report it!