Page 1 of 1 [ 9 posts ] 

Arran
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

11 Aug 2013, 6:21 am

Is there anybody here who likes US Dollar coins?

I have a few of them myself and I find their design to be quite attractive, but having never visited the US, I only found out last year that they are uncommon in circulation and unpopular with the general public. The highest value coin regularly encountered is the quarter. Is there a reason for this? Do Americans have a particular attraction to the dollar bill to the point where most would steadfastly refuse dollar coins if a store gave them as change?

Most British people would find life quite hard if the highest value coin was worth 20p and after that it was paper. When the pound coin was introduced in 1983 to replace the green pound note with Isaac Newton on it there was little resistance from the public apart from issues that some vending machines wouldn't take it. I believe that most vending machines in the US already take dollar coins. When the green pound note was finally withdrawn in 1988 nobody seemed to miss it and it had become a rare sight.

CokaCola
Veteran
Veteran

11 Aug 2013, 8:08 am

Not sure I've ever seen one.

In Australia everything up to $2 is a coin.
I find it gets annoying when I have piles of change because the coins don't really fit in my wallet and so I have to put them in my pocket but I don't like when they rattle together and I can hear it, it bugs me.
I'll literally just walk around with my hand in my pocket so I don't have to hear them :lol:

You can find it here: http://webchat.freenode.net/?channels=wrongplanet

Brainfre3ze_93
Veteran
Veteran

11 Aug 2013, 9:21 am

While I can't say for certain why all Americans dislike dollar coins. The best reason I can give is the fact that our wallets are not made to handle dollar coins, or any coins for that matter. You could in theory put the coins in your pocket, but that presents another problem. Searching for the right change takes time, and with other people right behind you waiting. You can see why this is a problem?

equestriatola
Veteran
Veteran

Location: Half of me is in the Washington state, the other Los Angeles.

11 Aug 2013, 11:21 pm

I love the dolalr coin. I personally don't see what the problem is, there are just too many sticks in the mud about the subject.

Now, I'd love to see a $2 coin, like our neighbors up to the north. Come on, get on it!

The Canadian Football League - What We're Made Of

Feel free to talk to me, if you wish. :)

Every day is a gift- cherish it!

"A true, true friend helps a friend in need."

jrjones9933
Veteran
Veteran

12 Aug 2013, 12:12 am

I had little trouble adjusting to the 1 and 2 Euro coins. For a few days, I accumulated a big pocketful of coins, but then I sat down one night in my hotel room and examined them all closely. After I learned them, I started using them. Any idiot could get the hang of it inside of a week if they had to.

We spend way too much money manufacturing dollar bills, and should definitely switch to coins. I'd be in favor of getting rid of pennies and nickels, too. Inflation has rendered them worse than useless. From time to time, the metal in nickels is worth more than the nickels themselves (5 cent coins, for those of you in other countries)..

Relicanth7
Veteran
Veteran

12 Aug 2013, 3:00 am

Why would anyone bother making a 2 dollar/euro coin/bill 2 is an awkward number in this situation.

If it was my choice it would just be 1's, 5's, 10's, 50's, and 100's... or just make everything electronically based because you know... money is barely worth the stuff its printed on/ minted in.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

12 Aug 2013, 10:47 am

Dollar coins are cool, because if their were no dollar bills, tips would be at least five dollars instead of only one or two.

Popsicle
Veteran
Veteran

12 Aug 2013, 5:03 pm

I dunno, but there was once a dollar coin already. The Susan B Anthony coin. Probably most don't remember it.

A comedian asked, "What will strippers do?"

MakaylaTheAspie
Veteran
Veteran

Location: O'er the land of the so-called free and the home of the self-proclaimed brave. (Oregon)

12 Aug 2013, 5:22 pm

You generally get US Dollar coins as change out of vending machines. Other than that, you don't really see them all that often around here.