29 Oct 2013, 4:51 pm

Codyrules37 wrote:
ur mom at a bar

:scratch:

alpineglow
Veteran
Veteran

29 Oct 2013, 7:05 pm

Today when I read the word ( that Cornflake wrote) in the thread: "in one word how do you feel right now", and he wrote "flugelhorn". This totally cracked me up.

Irulan
Veteran
Veteran

30 Oct 2013, 6:40 am

auntblabby wrote:
Irulan wrote:
I don't get this joke. Is it about some untranslatable pun?

being that at least in America the holiday season is coming up [after Halloween] I jumped the gun a little with this joke which alluded to the "Christmas song" which is also known as "chestnuts roasting on an open fire," and the humor was based on saying "chess nuts boasting in an open foyer" that sounds like that song. for people with some familiarity with American popular music, they would see some dry humor in it. but I can see I laid a giant egg with this one. :oops:

Ah, this. I guessed it must be something about chess nuts and chestnuts and that for a non native speaker it's not understandable. And thanks for introducing two new idioms to my vocabulary - to jump the gun and the egg one :D

Moviefan2k4
Veteran
Veteran

30 Oct 2013, 7:23 am

While I admit some of the crass stuff does make me laugh, I really prefer more innocent fare, because there's no shame attached. For example, I'd pick something like "Animaniacs" over "South Park" or "The Simpsons" every time. In my opinion, most of what passes for "comedy" these days has become too sickening, relying on nervous shock instead of creativity. I don't recall the last sitcom I watched regularly; it's been over ten years for sure.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

30 Oct 2013, 8:41 am

How some people like being the age and gender that they are, yet I'm mannish and I'm in no hurry to grow up.

AutisticArmyVet
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

30 Oct 2013, 9:31 am

It all depends on my mood. Sometimes I like the more crass and potty humor types. Other times I prefer a wasp, dry wit. I enjoy the full spectrum of humor. For some reason the word cheese is incredibly funny to me right now. That and frisky (think Steve Martin and Goldie Hawn from the Out of Towners).

Lace-Bane
Veteran
Veteran

30 Oct 2013, 9:40 am

I don't know... I just see things that my mind makes it's own connections on and start cracking up. It's usually very hard for me to explain my level of amusement that induced laughter to someone nearby.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

30 Oct 2013, 4:56 pm

another click and clack joke-

A woman has twins, and gives them up for adoption. One of them goes to a family in Egypt and is named "Amal." The other goes to a family in Spain; they name him "Juan." Years later, Juan sends a picture of himself to his mom. Upon receiving the picture, she tells her husband that she wishes she also had a picture of Amal. Her husband responds, "But honey, they're twins-if you've seen Juan, you've seen Amal." :lol:

Irulan
Veteran
Veteran

30 Oct 2013, 5:41 pm

I get it but does it matter anything for the joke that they were adopted into different countries and have such names? Is it some subtext, a dirty one or anything?

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

30 Oct 2013, 5:47 pm

Irulan wrote:
I get it t does it matter anything for the joke that they were adopted into different countries and have such names? Is it some subtext, a dirty one or anything?

"if you've seen Juan, you've seen Amal" = "if you've seen one, you've seen 'em all." again, it's humor is based on the aural similarity between two [otherwise] dissimilar phrases.

Irulan
Veteran
Veteran

30 Oct 2013, 5:57 pm

Aaaah, THIS :D I thought there must be some catch with those names, otherwise why wouldn't those be like Jimmy and Johnny or something like that, lol.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

30 Oct 2013, 6:00 pm

Irulan wrote:
Aaaah, THIS :D I thought there must be some catch with those names, otherwise why wouldn't those be like Jimmy and Johnny or something like that, lol.

I can't speak for other tongues' use of names in humor, but in English, we choose names of people or things for their pun value.

Last edited by auntblabby on 30 Oct 2013, 6:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Irulan
Veteran
Veteran

30 Oct 2013, 6:00 pm

I think it's like that in every language's humor. But I can't give any example like this in Polish. Btw, what's wrong with the name Percy? I every here and now see a wimpy or just in this or that way negative character named like this - is it a name having some negative connotations in English speaking countries or something? Like Percy the mommy's boy in Pratchett's book from the Discworld series and another mommy's boy in The Long Walk by S. King of this name and Percy from Harry Potter, Percy the evil guy from The Green Mile and so on.

Irulan
Veteran
Veteran

24 Nov 2013, 5:22 pm

I just read about doctor James Fallon who investigated brain scans of people from his family - he specializes in psychopathy - and when he saw one showing signs of this neurological condition, he instantly checked on whose the scan was - it turned out it was his own one :D

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

24 Nov 2013, 7:54 pm

How I post things about London every now and than and than I'll read it and say to myself, "A typical CockneyRebel post." :lol:

FluttercordAspie93
Veteran
Veteran

24 Nov 2013, 8:07 pm

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HBcplQlqnMA[/youtube]