Page 1 of 2 [ 17 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

MollyTroubletail
Veteran
Veteran

24 May 2015, 11:49 am

So I've come to learn that one of my neighbours has been repeatedly calling the police to ask them to "come check on me" for unknown reasons. I am suspecting someone for some reason just wants to annoy and inconvenience me.

The police then come and pound on my door (in one case they actually broke into my house through a front window when I didn't answer the door). They repeatedly ask if I'm alright and seem to not want to believe me when I say of course I'm alright. They want to take me to the hospital against my will just to be on the safe side. By law they are allowed to make that judgment call and have me taken to the hospital to be evaluated as to my mental state (suicidal or not) without my consent.

By law they are not allowed to say who or which neighbour has been calling them about me, or really even why. I never do anything illegal and have no weapons, alcohol or drugs in my house. I only rarely talk to my immediate neighbours and have never argued with or offended anyone that I know of.

I have never been suicidal and there is no reason for anyone to think I might be suicidal, but according to my research what they're doing is totally legal and beyond reproach.

BUT IF THIS CONTINUES I MAY BECOME HOMICIDAL!! ! :evil: :evil: :evil:

alex
Developer
Developer

24 May 2015, 11:55 am

they're not allowed to break into the house unless they have reason to believe that a crime is being committed. you should file a complaint with the department.

screen_name
Veteran
Veteran

24 May 2015, 2:46 pm

Alex is right. They have to have reasonable suspicion.

I have been diagnosed with Aspergers and MERLD
I have significant chronic medical conditions as well

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

24 May 2015, 3:52 pm

I thought police needed a warrant to enter your house....and you'd think if they've been called numerous times only to find out nothings wrong with you they'd start seeing the caller as a nuisance caller and stop responding to them. Might be a good idea to seek some legal council since something seems very off about all that. But yeah to my knowledge cops cannot come and break in when you don't answer just because a neighbor calls them...unless they provide some kind of probable reason. But yeah if its the same person and they keep coming to find you not an immediate danger to yourself or anyone else it's weird they wouldn't investigate that and potentially press charges on that individual for being a nuisance and false calls.

Don't become homocidal...you're probably just saying that out of irritation, but yeah to me that does not all sound very legal. Also what of the hospital?...if I understand right the police have taken you there, so I imagine the evaluate you what is the view of the hospital doctors and staff about you being brought in repeatedly when you aren't suicidal? I'd think they'd also be wondering what the hell is going on since typically they don't like to keep people in psych units if its not necessary especially over and over again...since much of the time there are people waiting on beds in psych units.

MollyTroubletail
Veteran
Veteran

24 May 2015, 7:20 pm

Don't worry I'm not really homicidal. It was just a rant.

I know how to become very annoying myself (without being illegal) so I'm planning to find out as many local police officer's phone extensions as I can and leave each one of them daily, detailed voice mails assuring them that I am in a good mood and not suicidal and thanking them for their continual kind concern. Then I'll promise to stop it if they stop it.

BirdInFlight
Veteran
Veteran

25 May 2015, 5:21 am

I don't know so much if it's a good idea to obtain lots of phone extentions and leave daily messages for multiple officers -- that could go across very badly with those guys, I would have thought.

It may not be an illegal thing but it's annoying enough that it would get you into their bad books; you should avoid becoming someone they have a hate-on for. Let that person be your neighbor who keeps calling them.

In the end that person will get into trouble for wasting police time with nuisance calls.

Dillogic
Veteran
Veteran

25 May 2015, 5:30 am

screen_name wrote:
Alex is right. They have to have reasonable suspicion.

I suppose the person calling could be giving them a tall or exaggerated tale, which probably comes under reasonable suspicion.

It'd probably only work once, though.

OP,

Perhaps some overzealous goody two shoes "queen of the street" type thinks you're suspect due to being aloof or something. I've heard that happen before.

I made sure my neighbors know all about me and how I'm not social due to AS precisely for that reason.

Ban-Dodger
Veteran
Veteran

25 May 2015, 6:18 am

Welcome to Police-State USA 2015 (although it's actually been a Police-State since all the way back in 2000 due to the "Patriot Act" from the dumb-ass so-called Republican Bush-Administration who are still a bunch of Puppets for the Shadow-Governments)...

You can thank all of the people who voted for Bush (and Clinton and Obama for that matter), hell with that, ALL voters are largely to blame for this s**t, and now for a word from George Carlin on the foreign-policy of the American-government...

jimmyboy76453
Veteran
Veteran

25 May 2015, 6:59 am

I think, though I am not proficient in law, that they can come in to do a welfare check based on the call they received. That gives them enough reasonable suspicion, especially because they are not investigating a crime. They are, probably, as annoyed and frustrated as you are with this person because they will see and understand that you are perfectly fine. The best thing you can do is answer the door every time, be very sweet and normal and respectful of the police when they visit, and ask them (very nicely) whether there is anything you can do to stop this person from continuing harass you. You don't want the police in your home (I wouldn't either), but you do want them on your side in this matter. They can very helpful if they want to help, but they can also be miserable if they decide to be.

This may sound odd, but you might also want to put flower pots outside your house or do other things to make the outside of your place look cheery and nice. If this is a misguided 'concerned citizen,' they might see that and realize that you are ok. And it can't hurt when trying to prove to the police that you are fine. Appearances go a long way. I know it's stupid and superficial, but it's true.

Aristophanes
Veteran
Veteran

25 May 2015, 2:56 pm

It should be noted she's Canadian, probable cause may be different in Canada than the US. In the US what they're doing is illegal, but it may be perfectly legal in Canada, I'm not a Canadian law expert so I'm not sure.

screen_name
Veteran
Veteran

25 May 2015, 3:07 pm

Aristophanes wrote:
It should be noted she's Canadian, probable cause may be different in Canada than the US. In the US what they're doing is illegal, but it may be perfectly legal in Canada, I'm not a Canadian law expert so I'm not sure.

Whoops!

I have been diagnosed with Aspergers and MERLD
I have significant chronic medical conditions as well

Ban-Dodger
Veteran
Veteran

25 May 2015, 3:52 pm

The legal-system is virtually the same regardless of which "country/nation" you are in.
They all are under the UCC code of Maritime-Law. Look up "Gold Fringed Flag" for more information.

screen_name wrote:
Aristophanes wrote:

Whoops!

I have also personally field-tested the court-systems, plus there are a lot of videos in existence now that demonstrate the court-operations themselves, and so seeing it either with your own eyes or personally putting it to the test in-person gets you accurate information, rather than all of the mis-information & euphemisms that surround the corruption that is the world's legal-system (particularly in America).

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

26 May 2015, 11:49 pm

when will people stop with the bearing of false witness?

Dillogic
Veteran
Veteran

27 May 2015, 1:14 am

auntblabby wrote:

Yeah.

On one side, I can see why the police will be cautious and/or overzealous with a "complaint", but on the other, there's really no need to take sides on their part and make assumptions based on people appearing a little odd. You can be cautious and courteous all the same.

Aristophanes
Veteran
Veteran

27 May 2015, 8:30 am

Dillogic wrote:
auntblabby wrote:

Yeah.

On one side, I can see why the police will be cautious and/or overzealous with a "complaint", but on the other, there's really no need to take sides on their part and make assumptions based on people appearing a little odd. You can be cautious and courteous all the same.

I agree with you...the world must be ending soon.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

27 May 2015, 9:02 am

I hope you're okay, Molly!

You seem all right--and you give good advice.

I once had a girlfriend who called the cops, saying that I was hitting my mother (that was in 1979).