Page 1 of 2 [ 17 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Abcrone
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

10 Jan 2014, 6:54 am

I used to be motivated by money but I no longer am anymore, I don't desire anything luxurious or expensive.
I fail to see the reason for average or excessive monetary gain when there is nothing I want or can get from having it.

What is your point of few on monetary gain, Do you feel it's just a means to get by or do you desire something really expensive or a higher "social status"

CyclopsSummers
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jan 2014, 7:03 am

I just see it as a means to an end. My motivation is sooner 'food' than 'money' at this point, but I need money if I want food. (Unless I start a farm someplace.)

jk1
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jan 2014, 7:38 am

Yes, I am. I admit that I love money because it makes life easier. I don't need luxury but I want to live comfortably. I definitely won't work hard and get stressed by work to earn more than enough money. I'd rather have a stress-free job that pays less.

Dillogic
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jan 2014, 7:54 am

No

kx250rider
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

10 Jan 2014, 11:42 am

I'm motivated by happiness, and I've learned that money is only a tiny part of that. I've been a happy poor man, and an unhappy rich man, so I know this is true. Because of that experience, I am now the happiest I've ever been, and fortunately I'm OK financially as well. But I also know that I would still be happy if I had less money.

Charles

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jan 2014, 2:14 pm

I'm very motivated by money. Money makes the world go round. :)

babybird
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jan 2014, 2:32 pm

I am motivated by money, my job is partly commission based. But I am also very competitive, so I'm partly motivated by the competition too.

USMCnBNSFdude
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jan 2014, 2:39 pm

I'm motivated by money because I can't live without it. I don't do anything right now to bring in a steady income (i'm in highschool so I'm still with my family), but when I move out my main motivation for getting a job will be for the money; whatever pleasure can be derived will be secondary.

I do sympathize with the whole "moderacy" thing though. I find big houses, fancy cars, and high social stature totally unappealing. If I ever have some big break and wind up with way more cash than I need, I'll probably donate most of it.

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

Location: was Louisiana but now Vermont in the police state called USA

10 Jan 2014, 11:45 pm

My parents were poor growing up & they didn't have much till I was older kid. They were kind of tight with money before & still kind of are. They try to save a lot because my dad's self-employed in the construction field(carpentry) so there's times when he may not have much money coming in due to lack of ready jobs & my parents worry about their financial situation incase something were to happen to my dad like if he gets injured or gets sore & needs to retire. My parents mostly bought everything for me instead of getting me much of an allowance as a kid & teen so I never had much expensive stuff due to lack of money & my parents being kinda tight with buying expensive things for me.

I didn't get my 1st job till a couple years after graduating high-school due to disabilities limiting me with my options. I didn't get on SSI till shortly before I got a job so I was dependent on my parents for money & my essentials till then. 1ce I started getting my own money my parents quit paying for my medical expenses & health insurance, personal things for me & the cable & net bill(Crapcast for both) got put in my name so I didn't have much money till a year after I started working after I switched jobs & was working over-time & then I had to start giving my parents some to cover some of my share of household expenses. I only worked a couple years & then I was back on SSI for a year & then it switched to Social Security Disability & I'm still on it. I moved in with my girlfriend a little over a year ago & Medicare & state Medicaid here are accepted by all the docs so the only medical expenses I have are for prescriptions which aren't much thanx to the Medicare Extra Help Program but sense I moved out of my parents I have other kinds of expenses so I still don't have much money.

I learned years ago from my working that I need to make my mental health a priority instead of working so much that when I'm not working most of my time is spent sleeping so I don't have any time to enjoy myself or spend any kind of time with anyone outside of work. I kind of miss having a job in some ways but I know I need to be careful to get the rite job for me & make sure I don't overdue it for my health & so I can keep my income low enough to keep my Disability, Medicare, Medicaid, Medicare Extra Help. I'd hate to start working & be no better off financially due to losing all my benefits. I haven't started looking for a job due to getting settled in & adjusting from moving out of my parents & being more independent & living on the other side of the country from where I used to with my girlfriend. Also my girlfriend has some mental things like depression & anxiety needs me around for things. She's on SSI, Section8 housing & food stamps & I'm classified as her caretaker/live-in aid so my income isn't factored in with her stuff. She would have major problems living alone & needs someone to accompany her to places, help deal with the people there, help with chores, & provide emotional support & motivation which I try my best to do so I do live up to the tittle of caretaker/live-in aid except for happening to be her boyfriend. She's doing abit better than she was when we 1st moved in so me having a part-time job now might would be doable depending on the hours & what it was. I got referred to an organization to help with employment when I got my vision checked after moving here(a rare low vision disorder is my primary disability but I have other things) but I haven't taken an active approach in working with them but the guy who was handling my case left & the new guy said he would call me to set up an appointment this month. If he calls me I'll go & do what they ask or like & see what happens but I'm not going to take the intuitive on my own rite now.

I don't care about decorations at all, I don't care about looking good & wear the same tShirts, shorts & jeans till they get too holy.
My hobbies are :arrow: watching TV so I have all the channels that aren't premium movie channels or sports packages. Things on computer & I decked out like 5 years ago when I got it which cost almost two thousand but it's still pretty good. Listening to music but I pirate everything I can thou I like some nonmainstream stuff so I do buy some but mostly when it's on sale or a preorder bonus or KickStarter promotion. I have a chinchilla so I do buy food & things for her care. The only things I have that aren't useful are a motley collectionoif knives & I also spend money on things for trying to stop hair-loss/male-pattern baldness.

So hopefully after reading all that which I know is a lot(it took me quite a while to type but I got carried away) you guys can accurately guess the answer to the question "Are you motivated by money?" but incase you still cant I'll add that I'm practical & somewhat realistic or I try to be & think I am.

The answer to the question is NO

"Hear all, trust nothing"
~Ferengi Rule Of Acquisition #190
https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Ru ... cquisition

Aspie_Chav
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jan 2014, 2:46 am

I am motivated my money. Some say it's too unhealthy. But all of our lives are different and so are our abilities. Who knows what survival traits people need. If I had an attitude of pritty young white girl, It wouldn't work.

babybird
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jan 2014, 2:51 am

I don't think it's unhealthy to be motivated by money. I only have myself to rely on, so if I wasn't motivated I would have nothing.

Wags
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

11 Jan 2014, 5:28 am

No. I don't need all the fancy stuff. My dream isn't to live in a mansion in Beverly Hills. I really don't care about money, I don't see what the fix is about it. I would rather have a low paying job with something that I love, than I high paying job with something I hate.

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jan 2014, 6:21 pm

In regards to others being motivated by money & is it unhealthy or bad, my opinion depends on the type of person who's motivated by money. I think their fine if they're empathetic & caring about others. But I think they're a scrooge & heartless if they hate on the poor because they cant understand why the poor cant make something out of nothing & think the poor are just being lazy & deserve to be homeless & the rich person uses his money to bribe politans to cut services for the poor so the rich can get bigger tax breaks.

babybird
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jan 2014, 7:06 pm

Being motivated by money doesn't necessarily mean that you earn a lot of money.

Being motivated by money means that you are willing to get out of bed in the morning to earn a living, no matter how big or how small that living may be.

I've had shite jobs throughout my life, but I've done them purely for the money.

Luckily, these days I do a job that I enjoy and I earn enough to live on.

I'm not greedy but I am competitive, and it is the competition that enables me to earn a good wage.

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jan 2014, 7:29 pm

babybird wrote:
Being motivated by money means that you are willing to get out of bed in the morning to earn a living, no matter how big or how small that living may be.
I think of that as desire to be independent rather than being motivated by money. Wanting to earn a decent living so you can provide for yourself & family is being responsible. I think of being motivated as money as not caring about providing or independence but rather desiring money when you don't have a real need or plan to use it; your motivated by making your bank account grow for the sake of it instead of what you need, want or use the money for.

johnny77
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jan 2014, 10:17 pm

I'm more motivated by necessity if I have extra money its gone to help some were. I dont get ahead I just feel content if I break even and every thing is done. If I need more I work more and never worry about what I can't do.