Food you like that other people think is gross

Page 4 of 5 [ 71 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

alpineglow
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jan 2014, 6:46 pm

the white chewy stuff inside orange peels between the fruit and the orange outside skin.

MONKEY
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jan 2014, 7:01 pm

Fish and meat with the bones still in so I have fiddle with it to eat it. It makes it more fun when I have to go caveman on that thing!
Super strong oily fish like sardines. Sardines, kippers and the like are some of those "joke" foods that people ridicule without knowing what it tastes like.
I like ketchup or BBQ sauce on foods that many food snobs would be horrified at. With curries, roast dinners, otherwise classy meals.

Misslizard
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jan 2014, 7:04 pm

Seaweed salads,mmmmm.
I'm with redrobin62 on the crawdads,I don't care for them and there really isn't much food there to even bother with.Im leery of the ones raised in China,I've smelled some that smelled exactly like cat food.The local one from the gulf seem fresher,and there is a farm that raises them in the Arkansas delta.Haven't tried the Arkansas ones yet.
Smoked mussels are great and fried clams.

mr_bigmouth_502
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jan 2014, 8:37 pm

I think Jagermeister is absolutely delicious, and I'll occasionally drink some straight up when I'm out at a bar or something, yet I've had a few people tell me that it tastes disgusting and one even said something to the effect of "don't people usually only drink that stuff when they are already drunk?"

Whenever I eat chicken wings or ribs, I will almost always eat all of the skin and gristle, sometimes the cartilage, and even sometimes I'll get into the bone marrow if the bones are cooked soft enough. I can't stand it when people simply bite out the middle parts of their chicken wings and leave the ends intact, so I try to get as much out of mine as possible. :D

Like many people, I like foods that are deep-fried, but unlike a lot of people, I don't tend to mind if whatever I'm eating has too much grease. I mean, grease by itself isn't all that great, but I won't complain if something I'm eating is dripping with it.

The way I like my bacon cooked, I basically like it so that it has a slight bit of firmness to it, but instead of being crispy, it feels moist and meaty. For some reason, a lot of people don't like it this way, and essentially prefer it to be burnt. To me, that's just wrong.

If I'm starving and running low on cash, sometimes I'll grab some frozen burritos. They don't tend to have a lot of flavor, but they're not too bad once you add some hot sauce. ;)

On a similar note, I'm somewhat of a hot sauce/hot pepper enthusiast, and I'll eat them on all sorts of different things. Admittedly, there was a period where I used so much Frank's Red Hot sauce (mainly to spice up my stepmother's bland cooking :P) that I absolutely became sick of it. After making myself eat more things without it for a while, I started liking it again.

I think dark chocolate is absolutely amazing stuff, as it actually has some depth of flavor which milk chocolate often lacks, though due to its bitterness and complexity, I can see why some people wouldn't enjoy it. Don't get me wrong, I like milk chocolate too, but only if it's the higher quality stuff (especially if it's from Europe, then I'd say I actually like it better than typical dark chocolates).

I freaking LOVE strong black coffee, though what I call strong and what other people call strong are two different things. Strong coffee to me is undrinkable coffee to most people. :P Whenever I go to places that offer it, sometimes I even get straight shots of espresso, and holy crap are those awesome. :D I 'll drink coffee with cream and sugar sometimes as well, though usually only if I'm in a hurry and I want to get it down quickly.

I don't know exactly why, but I just tend to gravitate towards foods with strong flavors. It could just be because I can taste things in these foods that other people can't.

Last edited by mr_bigmouth_502 on 20 Jan 2014, 8:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Raptor
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jan 2014, 8:42 pm

Bullfrog legs
Gator tail
Any wild game that actually tastes good
Fried pork rinds
Soft pretzels. Normal people would not think they are gross but when I was a kid my parents were actually grossed out by them and refused to even try one.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jan 2014, 8:42 pm

thoroughly brown-fried chicken fat is a guilty pleasure.

Schneekugel
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jan 2014, 5:44 am

Quote:
I'm also surprised that some people can't stomach lobster. Lobster, by and large, is one of the most delicious foods there is. With just a bit of butter melted on it it's one of the most delicious things on earth.

I also get surprised when people pass on crab...

My partner could explain it understandable to me. I had a french mum and spent my whole summers in france at the atlantic coast as kid, so I knew that food already as a very small kid, when I never did link anything else then "Food - yummy." to it.

My partner got in touch with seafood when he was way older, and could as have much more thoughts about it/compare it/link it with other stuff.

So when you get to see a crab the first time, its an animal with giant tentacles (the stuff on the fronthead), a chitin shell, insectoid eyes, ... So the moment you spend thoughts on it and compare it to similar creatures, the comparison to bugs is quite reasonable. So its a gigantic underwater insect and eating that seems for him similar to eating grilled cockroaches, that most people would not try.

I could see what he meant, when he explained it to me. I never did that comparisons before, so the first stuff that came into my mind when I saw seafood was a very childish "Yummieh." but yeah he is right, they are scientifically like gigantic water bugs. ^^

Funnily this only leaded me to loose my disgust of eating insects. XD Locusts are nothing else then "above-water"-shrimps. XD

coffeebean
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jan 2014, 6:12 pm

mr_bigmouth_502 wrote:
If I'm starving and running low on cash, sometimes I'll grab some frozen burritos. They don't tend to have a lot of flavor, but they're not too bad once you add some hot sauce. ;)

What isn't better with hot sauce? :chef:

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jan 2014, 6:21 pm

I would love to sample some turkey/dressing/gravy soda.

Halfmadgenius
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jan 2014, 11:00 am

I like plain pepperocini (spelling?) peppers straight from the jar. Salad peppers? Nah, these are a snack. Same with marinaded artichoke hearts.

Yuzu
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jan 2014, 11:16 am

Natto. Fermented soybeans. It's stinky and slimy but very healthy food. It's gross at first but it kinda grows on you.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jan 2014, 1:48 pm

Yuzu wrote:
Natto. Fermented soybeans. It's stinky and slimy but very healthy food. It's gross at first but it kinda grows on you.

gosh :o it looks like the ruptured eggsack of some primordial creature or alien. :alien:

Drehmaschine
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jan 2014, 12:07 pm

puddingmouse wrote:
Drehmaschine wrote:
kæstur hákarl. A traditional Icelandic delicacy of rotting shark. I like how it makes my mouth tingle. Workmates have pretty much told me never to bring it again.

You took that stuff into work? That's crazy.

I guess I didn't understand that the smell would bother people so much. :lol:

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jan 2014, 3:08 pm

some of the food I like aromatically bothers people both coming and going.

Oren
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jan 2014, 3:11 pm

Salt on apples and watermelon.

Raptor
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jan 2014, 4:26 pm

/\
I pretty much have to have salt on watermelon and cantaloupe.