First Attempts to Draw in over 21 Years.

Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] 

CivilSam
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

31 Jan 2014, 11:01 pm

Hello,
I haven't drawn anything since the 4th grade. I used to love drawing and the messages or ideas I could create on a piece of paper. Unfortunately, I was bullied and people would tell me I drew ugly things and was terrible at it. Of course I believed them because why would people lie about something like that? So anyways, I'm 30 and a week ago I decided I want to try drawing again. Please, if you wish, take the time to view what I drew. If you can feel or understand what I created then my job is done. Sorry that I'm not the best at drawing btw but I like to just focus on the message or idea. Everything is there for a reason and makes sense to me. Not really sure if it makes sense to anyone else. Let me know what you think.
http://jacobbrine.deviantart.com/
P.S. if you click browse gallery you can see everything.

Last edited by CivilSam on 01 Feb 2014, 8:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

01 Feb 2014, 12:03 am

I like the one with the two sweet peas escaping from the boxes.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

01 Feb 2014, 12:40 am

My reason for liking the Sweet Peas is because they seem to be thinking outside the box. I guess I have a thing for things that resemble peas. :) :P

CyclopsSummers
Veteran
Veteran

01 Feb 2014, 1:29 am

Though I'm probably not the best judge of this, I like what I'm seeing, CivilSam/Jacob Brine. I like Wrong Party, Wrong People best as well, though I got something different out of it than CockneyRebel (I saw it as the square not feeling at home at a party of spheres). I very much like the use of shadow and perspective there, and the minimalism of it. It's cool that you've chosen autism as a theme in much of your new work. I also really like Mineresult and Hand.

Welcome back to drawing, keep on doing it if you enjoy it. I've incidentally considered trying my hand at the old pencils and paper as well this year. I used to feel very bad about my art, thinking it was 'subpar' and that I was better off quitting it entirely, but then I found that I was missing a great creative outlet, and it left a gap in my life. If you have an idea, put it on paper. Sometimes it's a shame if you just let it slip away.

CivilSam
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

01 Feb 2014, 10:53 am

CyclopsSummers wrote:
Though I'm probably not the best judge of this, I like what I'm seeing, CivilSam/Jacob Brine. I like Wrong Party, Wrong People best as well, though I got something different out of it than CockneyRebel (I saw it as the square not feeling at home at a party of spheres). I very much like the use of shadow and perspective there, and the minimalism of it. It's cool that you've chosen autism as a theme in much of your new work. I also really like Mineresult and Hand.

Welcome back to drawing, keep on doing it if you enjoy it. I've incidentally considered trying my hand at the old pencils and paper as well this year. I used to feel very bad about my art, thinking it was 'subpar' and that I was better off quitting it entirely, but then I found that I was missing a great creative outlet, and it left a gap in my life. If you have an idea, put it on paper. Sometimes it's a shame if you just let it slip away.

Thank you Cyclops it makes me happy that you understand it. Mineresult and hand were my first attempts at practicing drawing in some online lessons. I enjoy lessons but I find that I just want to draw from what I am dealing with internally at the time. I have a lot of difficulty communicating what I really want to verbally so this has been helping a great deal (putting it to paper).

modernmax
Veteran
Veteran

01 Feb 2014, 7:58 pm

So if you're not 30 then how old are you :P

CivilSam
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

01 Feb 2014, 8:49 pm

modernmax wrote:
So if you're not 30 then how old are you :P

Lol, it was supposed to say, I am 30. Guess I was just trying to reconfirm my mental age by stating I am not 30.