Page 1 of 1 [ 3 posts ] 

Descartes
Veteran
Veteran

22 Feb 2014, 2:09 pm

Currently, I'm writing for my community college's newspaper. I'm editor for my specific campus. It's made me wonder if there have ever been other Aspies writing for the same newspaper.

This week one of the other reporters was talking about how she was interviewing a girl with Asperger's for a feature she was writing, so I later told her that I also have Asperger's, and she asked me if I had any suggestions for questions that she should ask her.

Afterward, I told one of the advisers about my Asperger's. He was surprised when I told him, because he said I must be very high-functioning.

Anyway, is there anyone else who has ever worked as a journalist, is currently one, or wishes to be one?

redrobin62
Veteran
Veteran

22 Feb 2014, 5:14 pm

I applaud the work journalists do, especially the ones who write from the front lines. That's scary because they're always in harm's way.

I thought about journalism as a career myself because I'm a writer so that's right up my alley. I didn't think I could be aggressive enough as an interviewer, though.

Journalists sometimes end up writing books about their interests. It always seems they're a natural for creating novels, novellas and short stories.

Considering how shy some aspies are, I'd be surprised that any would become a journalist. I'd think they were too scared to confront people and ask them questions. I know I would.

Descartes
Veteran
Veteran

22 Feb 2014, 8:27 pm

redrobin62 wrote:
I applaud the work journalists do, especially the ones who write from the front lines. That's scary because they're always in harm's way.

I thought about journalism as a career myself because I'm a writer so that's right up my alley. I didn't think I could be aggressive enough as an interviewer, though.

Journalists sometimes end up writing books about their interests. It always seems they're a natural for creating novels, novellas and short stories.

Considering how shy some aspies are, I'd be surprised that any would become a journalist. I'd think they were too scared to confront people and ask them questions. I know I would.

Thanks for replying!

I've always had a talent for writing, so I thought journalism was right up my alley. Being shy and a bit socially inept at times, the processes of interviewing and gathering information can be a bit unnerving. It's something I'm working on, though.

And I'm a student reporter. I'm not reporting from the front lines yet. :wink: