Get the widow on the set
We need dirty laundry"

It was a good animated movie too.

MjrMajorMajor
Veteran
Veteran

07 Mar 2014, 9:43 pm

coffeebean wrote:
Instead of reporting every shooting, bullying incident, celebrity mess-up, Internet argument, and criminal case, people instead reported every act of kindness?

Oprah would applaud.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

07 Mar 2014, 9:57 pm

GivePeaceAChance wrote:
Pobbles wrote:
The 24hour news channels would go extinct.

News websites would be updated fortnightly.

and I thought I was cynical - here is someone who thinks there is no such thing as decent people in the world at all.

Do you realize MANY people do acts of kindness EVERYDAY? I do and most of my friends also, it is just something everyone ignores.

Yes. It would be the opposite of what he said. The media would be bogged down in countless mundane little stories- and it would be boring as hell. Humans are wired to pay attention to the negative. So the negative is more newsworthy even though the positive is actually more commonplace.

coffeebean
Veteran
Veteran

07 Mar 2014, 10:15 pm

MjrMajorMajor wrote:
coffeebean wrote:
Instead of reporting every shooting, bullying incident, celebrity mess-up, Internet argument, and criminal case, people instead reported every act of kindness?

Oprah would applaud.

Perhaps she's another of the ones who believe the world isn't a horrifying, sickening place that's out to kill us and who doesn't get angry, pompous, and sad all the time about things we intend to do nothing about (and will instead merely retweet or forget in a week). The bonus to boring.

MjrMajorMajor
Veteran
Veteran

07 Mar 2014, 10:23 pm

coffeebean wrote:
MjrMajorMajor wrote:
coffeebean wrote:

Oprah would applaud.

Perhaps she's another of the ones who believe the world isn't a horrifying, sickening place that's out to kill us and who doesn't get angry, pompous, and sad all the time about things we intend to do nothing about (and will instead merely retweet or forget in a week). The bonus to boring.

I don't think it's quite that black or white. I believe in balance personally...there are beautiful and inspiring things in this world, and there's also worse than your nightmares. It's quite broad, and focusing on either/or is a disservice to the world we live.

coffeebean
Veteran
Veteran

07 Mar 2014, 10:26 pm

MjrMajorMajor wrote:
coffeebean wrote:
MjrMajorMajor wrote:
coffeebean wrote:

Oprah would applaud.

I don't think it's quite that black or white. I believe in balance personally...there are beautiful and inspiring things in this world, and there's also worse than your nightmares. It's quite broad, and focusing on either/or is a disservice to the world we live.

I would like a grey area. There's a deranged fascination with bad news for the sake of bad news, though, and I think it has a negative effect on people to immerse themselves in problems they have no power over (or no desire to affect).

MjrMajorMajor
Veteran
Veteran

07 Mar 2014, 10:57 pm

coffeebean wrote:
MjrMajorMajor wrote:
coffeebean wrote:
MjrMajorMajor wrote:
coffeebean wrote:

Oprah would applaud.

I would like a grey area. There's a deranged fascination with bad news for the sake of bad news, though, and I think it has a negative effect on people to immerse themselves in problems they have no power over (or no desire to affect).

What disturbs me more is the continuing consolidation of our news outlets. The news today isn't just bad, but sensational. There's also a wonder about how that news could be slanted towards the interest of the conglomerate.

khaoz
Veteran
Veteran

07 Mar 2014, 11:18 pm

MjrMajorMajor wrote:
coffeebean wrote:
MjrMajorMajor wrote:
coffeebean wrote:
MjrMajorMajor wrote:
coffeebean wrote:

Oprah would applaud.

What disturbs me more is the continuing consolidation of our news outlets. The news today isn't just bad, but sensational. There's also a wonder about how that news could be slanted towards the interest of the conglomerate.

And when bad things happen in our society, the shear amount of continuous nonstop coverage that incident gets on so many networks at the same time make it seem to people like more is happening than what has actually taken place. It makes "news" seem like a routinely daily event. There is a reason it is called "news.' And sensationalizing it creates profits for the media industry.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

08 Mar 2014, 1:47 am

What would happen if the entire world burped at once?