Page 2 of 4 [ 58 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

iamnotaparakeet
Veteran
Veteran

12 Feb 2012, 10:13 pm

I could live in any climate so long as I either have no neighbors or my neighbors aren't malevolent toward me. If the neighborhood sucks, I don't want to live there. If it's peaceful, then the weather doesn't matter to me.

Kaybee
Veteran
Veteran

12 Feb 2012, 10:28 pm

Sub-arctic. How I miss it. Cold and snowy in the winter (which, of course, extends through most of spring and fall), warm but not hot in the summer. Clear skies much of the time, but not always (precipitation is important!). It would also ideally have powerful thunderstorms along with their brief torrential downpours. I've yet to find a place which has both sub-arctic climate and thunderstorms/fierce rain, but that would be my ideal. Also, humidity never above 70%, and little wind.

Last edited by Kaybee on 12 Feb 2012, 10:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

jmnixon95
Veteran
Veteran

12 Feb 2012, 10:28 pm

I haven't lived in any other climate for an extended period of time besides that of Atlanta, Georgia (in the Southeastern US state.)
I don't really like the climate here. Winters are okay... not quite cold enough in general (though there are nice cold snaps here and there, like the one now.) But the summers are too much for me.

Albirea
Veteran
Veteran

Location: Cannot be determined due to excessive knowledge of momentum

12 Feb 2012, 10:40 pm

Somewhere warm. Please. I hate cold winters, especially since I have poor circulation to my hands and feet. :x
Every time I go out into the cold, I feel like I'm going to get frostbite.

jmnixon95
Veteran
Veteran

12 Feb 2012, 10:48 pm

Albirea wrote:
especially since I have poor circulation to my hands and feet. :x

Me too... In the fall and winter, if I have my hand up with my mouse on the computer for even, like, 3 minutes... it's numb and an ice cube. D:

Atomsk
Veteran
Veteran

12 Feb 2012, 10:51 pm

Nothing beats the part of Alaska I live in during the middle of the summer, before it gets super rainy. I also like the general vibe that fall gives off up here.

Kaybee
Veteran
Veteran

12 Feb 2012, 10:51 pm

Albirea wrote:
Somewhere warm. Please. I hate cold winters, especially since I have poor circulation to my hands and feet. :x
Every time I go out into the cold, I feel like I'm going to get frostbite.

I have poor circulation as well. Even in the middle of 100 degree heat, I get comments on how cold my hands are. Doesn't stop me from appreciating the cold! Just need gloves, and socks, and shoes. And maybe more gloves and socks.

jmnixon95
Veteran
Veteran

12 Feb 2012, 10:52 pm

I have roots in Alaska; I'd like to go there sometime.

Kaybee
Veteran
Veteran

12 Feb 2012, 10:54 pm

jmnixon95 wrote:

You should. Beauty may be subjective, but I have yet to find a place more beautiful than Alaska.

jmnixon95
Veteran
Veteran

12 Feb 2012, 11:00 pm

Kaybee wrote:
jmnixon95 wrote:

You should. Beauty may be subjective, but I have yet to find a place more beautiful than Alaska.

Oh, I definitely see its beauty... I just haven't been able to in person. :( My paternal great-grandfather was an avid photographer and has some great shots from the 40s and 50s in Alaska; he helped kick off the king crab fishing industry during that time, actually. My paternal side has roots in Kodiak. Have you been there?

Kaybee
Veteran
Veteran

12 Feb 2012, 11:11 pm

jmnixon95 wrote:
Kaybee wrote:
jmnixon95 wrote:

Oh, I definitely see its beauty... I just haven't been able to in person. :( My paternal great-grandfather was an avid photographer and has some great shots from the 40s and 50s in Alaska; he helped kick off the king crab fishing industry during that time, actually. My paternal side has roots in Kodiak. Have you been there?

Those must be some great photos; Alaska is much more developed than it was back then. I used to live there. Pictures are beautiful, but being there in person is something well worth the effort it takes to get there.

Nim
Veteran
Veteran

12 Feb 2012, 11:16 pm

Its been 75f (23.8c) for like 2 or 3 months now during the day. During the summers it goes to 120 (48c) or more but we barely dip below freezing but a handful of times a year. As far as climates go we're pretty straight forward and predictable. I think I like this compared to torrential rain or snow....

But I wouldn't mind waking up in the morning and clearing the snow/sitting in front of a fire. Maybe one week a year.

Atomsk
Veteran
Veteran

12 Feb 2012, 11:18 pm

jmnixon95 wrote:

Just make sure you do it in the summer; only May June July or August. Spring is the ugliest season (all the crud from winter thawing out and being released all at once. Everything becomes shades of grey).

I have to second what Kaybee said. I've been to Europe, Hawaii, California, Oregon, etc. Nowhere beats the natural beauty here. Hawaii doesn't even come close. At least in my opinion. Hawaii may have some good stuff, but Alaska has such a massive volume of top-quality, pristine stuff; and Hawaii is flooded with tourists and big buildings and stuff like that.

Kaybee
Veteran
Veteran

12 Feb 2012, 11:30 pm

Atomsk wrote:
jmnixon95 wrote:

Just make sure you do it in the summer; only May June July or August. Spring is the ugliest season (all the crud from winter thawing out and being released all at once. Everything becomes shades of grey).

Oh, yeah. The only time I would say not to go is spring, which is just cold and wet and grey and blech. Other than that, it depends what you're looking for. I love Alaska in the winter, particularly early winter (November and December), but most people who visit prefer summer, in which case I'd recommend June or July. May can still get snow and is just starting to turn to summer; August can be cloudy and rainy. Of course this will all vary depending on where in Alaska you go. Though the mushrooms that come with the rain in August are pretty fantastic to look at.

Solvejg
Veteran
Veteran

13 Feb 2012, 2:08 am

newchum wrote:
What's your preferred climate to live in, For me it would have be a Subtropical Arid or Semi-Arid climate (like say the Inland of Southeast of Australia or Western Deserts of North America) with low humidity. I can't cope with Hot Humid weather very well and colder weather plays havoc with my sinuses, throughout winter here my nose is clogged up a lot. The really hot dry summers do not bother me so long as I lived in a house with cooling.

If I can't move to USA and live in a place like Palm Springs, Phoenix, Tucson or Las Vegas. I would choose to live in the Mallee Country of Australia (around Mildura) or the Wheatbelt of Western Australia.

Sorry to tell you this but the wheet belt and Mildura have really differant weather.

I can't beleive anyone actually would want to live in my area. The weather is awful.

I want to live somewhere cold. Preferably with lots of water and snow.

So I'm never in a rush

kazzabeth
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

13 Feb 2012, 3:12 am

jmnixon95 wrote:
I haven't lived in any other climate for an extended period of time besides that of Atlanta, Georgia (in the Southeastern US state.)
I don't really like the climate here. Winters are okay... not quite cold enough in general (though there are nice cold snaps here and there, like the one now.) But the summers are too much for me.
that exactly describes the climate here where I live [in Brisbane Australia] i hate our summers here Jan to February high humidity and afternoon thunderstorms ,I would like to live somewhere cooler.