Page 1 of 1 [ 9 posts ] 

MydogandImakegifs
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

12 Feb 2019, 6:01 pm

Stereotypical American here, wanting to move to canada. I'm hoping to garner the attention of any Canadians on the forum as I do my homework on the subject. So far the only big drawbacks I'm coming across is the difficulty in purchasing and owning a home which is a pretty big deal breaker. I'm almost 27 and am thinking of a future with my partner (30) and any children we may want.

Even before recent politics America has been a pretty sad excuse of a developed nation. My partner and I have been putting off getting married until we can feel more secure as people and citizens but its really difficult to get a leg up here in the states. I'm getting a large sum of money in the next year or so and I dont want to throw down roots in a place that will slowly chip away at our quality of life. Having autism and mild brain damage puts me lower on the american social class pyramid so this may be the best investment of myself and what money I do have.

British Colombia would be pretty familiar since my partner and I live in the outer Portland Oregon area. We love our rain and coffee and have family in Seattle. I've also lived in Montana for a good chunk of my life so I'd know what to expect in somewhere like Saskatoon.

Mostly we just want to live somewhere where there isnt a giant prison-industrial complex, gun violence, paranoia, and mental health stigmas. Id also feel more comfortable having children if I knew that they and their little friends were able to get the education they deserve. I'd like to think I'm not asking for much.

Feel free to post your thoughts and location. Thanks for your time! :lol:

Last edited by MydogandImakegifs on 12 Feb 2019, 7:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

BeaArthur
Veteran
Veteran

12 Feb 2019, 6:06 pm

What makes you think Canada wants you? They have immigration laws just like we do in the U.S. It's a hard sell that they should take on the burden to their social/medical services that someone who can't hold a job represents. Just a thought.

MydogandImakegifs
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

12 Feb 2019, 7:18 pm

BeaArthur wrote:
They have immigration laws just like we do in the U.S. It's a hard sell that they should take on the burden to their social/medical services that someone who can't hold a job represents.

I'm educated on the immigration process. As far as I'm concerned its worth a try. I believe my partner and I would be able to do good there as educated people with similar ethics and aspirations. We are pleasant people. but first I need to know if there are locations I can plan around.

Thanks for your thoughts.

RoseThorn13
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

12 Feb 2019, 8:51 pm

I envy you. I wish I had the option leave this country but I can't. I'm pretty much stuck here. :(

I guess some of us just have to make do with what we have. It could be much worse, I could be living in a country like Indonesia where they would beat me with a cane in front of a large cheering crowd of people taking snapshots of me on their smartphones because I was homosexual.

https://youtu.be/PuzXdbirgf8

RightGalaxy
Veteran
Veteran

12 Feb 2019, 10:47 pm

RoseThorn13 wrote:
I envy you. I wish I had the option leave this country but I can't. I'm pretty much stuck here. :(

I guess some of us just have to make do with what we have. It could be much worse, I could be living in a country like Indonesia where they would beat me with a cane in front of a large cheering crowd of people taking snapshots of me on their smartphones because I was homosexual.

check your in box. :)

RoseThorn13
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

12 Feb 2019, 10:51 pm

RightGalaxy wrote:
RoseThorn13 wrote:

There's nothing there. :huh:

RightGalaxy
Veteran
Veteran

12 Feb 2019, 10:53 pm

RoseThorn13 wrote:
RightGalaxy wrote:
RoseThorn13 wrote:

Crap! I must've did something wrong. Sorry. I'll try again.

RoseThorn13
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

12 Feb 2019, 10:59 pm

RightGalaxy wrote:
RoseThorn13 wrote:
RightGalaxy wrote:
RoseThorn13 wrote:

Crap! I must've did something wrong. Sorry. I'll try again.

Don't sweat it. :D

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

13 Feb 2019, 10:14 pm

There are parts of Canada, and even BC, that are affordable still. Within BC it will be smaller Northern towns.

What do you and your partner do for work? That might help narrow things down. Canada is a HUGE country, after all.

Also, if your questions about immigration ever get super serious and you’re unable to find an answer online, there is an 800 number you can call and ask a Canada Customs and Immigration Officer.