Am I going to do something illegal?

Page 1 of 1 [ 15 posts ] 

tb86
Veteran
Veteran

27 Mar 2018, 1:53 pm

I was currently on the dole but I'm currently working at a charity shop as part of a work experience program while being paid by another agency and when I'm done with that I'll be back on the dole but there is a certain amount of money I must have in my account in order to get job seekers allowance so under the suggestion of my parents I would take money out of my account each week and now they want to open another account to put my money in that would be in their names but is still my money. They wouldn't use it but they would give me the pin code. The fact is I feel like this may be wrong. What do you think?

Raleigh
Veteran
Veteran

27 Mar 2018, 2:04 pm

It is morally wrong, but I have heard of a lot of people on benefits who do similar things.
You will have to decide what you feel comfortable with.
You could always spend the money on things that will improve your future prospects such as nice clothes etc, but that is up to you.

Spiderpig
Veteran
Veteran

27 Mar 2018, 2:21 pm

I think it's morally wrong to create a disincentive to save in the first place. If it turns out to be unenforceable on you and you manage to save and get ahead in life, good for you.

The red lake has been forgotten. A dust devil stuns you long enough to shroud forever those last shards of wisdom. The breeze rocking this forlorn wasteland whispers in your ears, “Não resta mais que uma sombra”.

Temeraire
Veteran
Veteran

27 Mar 2018, 4:13 pm

I think that some of the dirty tricks this current government pulls are far more morally wrong than anything you could ever do by having some savings.

I wouldn't worry yourself. :wink:

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

27 Mar 2018, 4:19 pm

I don't think you're doing anything wrong. It took a lot for you to save your money and if that's what you want to do, than you should do it.

SH90
Veteran
Veteran

27 Mar 2018, 4:19 pm

The first rule of law breaking, you don't talk about your criminal activity.

Spiderpig
Veteran
Veteran

27 Mar 2018, 4:37 pm

But it sure feels much better when you can actually afford to boast about it :P

The red lake has been forgotten. A dust devil stuns you long enough to shroud forever those last shards of wisdom. The breeze rocking this forlorn wasteland whispers in your ears, “Não resta mais que uma sombra”.

SaveFerris
Veteran
Veteran

27 Mar 2018, 4:39 pm

Don't quote me on this but if you have been paying your stamp ( NI ) for a few years , you will get contribution based JSA ( savings don't matter ).
If you haven't paid enough stamp then it will be income-based JSA ( If you have over £7000 ? you benefits will be reduced ).

But to answer your question factually , hiding your money somewhere else is benefit fraud so yes it is illegal.
If even you went on a spending spree and spunked it all on ice-cream and coffee it still could be classed as Deliberate Deprivation of Capital.

Interestingly enough if you owned a house instead of money your benefits would not be affected :twisted:

Hypocrisy is the greatest luxury. Raise the double standard

SH90
Veteran
Veteran

27 Mar 2018, 4:44 pm

Spiderpig wrote:

Absolutely, hard work pays off. Cheers!

SaveFerris
Veteran
Veteran

27 Mar 2018, 4:54 pm

SH90 wrote:
Spiderpig wrote:

Absolutely, hard work pays off. Cheers!

Really? Jordan Belfort ? Are you a crook :lol:

SH90
Veteran
Veteran

27 Mar 2018, 5:33 pm

SaveFerris wrote:

Haha, get off my boat :lol:

Last edited by SH90 on 27 Mar 2018, 5:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

SabbraCadabra
Veteran
Veteran

27 Mar 2018, 5:35 pm

I've been under the impression that most people do things like this.

People in Michigan will buy cans of pop with their "food stamps", empty them out in the parking lot, and return them for a little extra to buy things like toilet paper.

SH90
Veteran
Veteran

27 Mar 2018, 6:03 pm

I'm not sure what your living situation is or the specific laws in your country. But maybe you could move back home and pay your parents rent. When you move out, maybe they do what loving parents do and give some or all back as a gift.

SaveFerris
Veteran
Veteran

27 Mar 2018, 6:32 pm

SH90 wrote:
SaveFerris wrote:

Haha, get off my boat :lol:

:lol: :lol: :lol:

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

Location: was Louisiana but now Vermont in the police state called USA

28 Mar 2018, 2:41 am

When I 1st tried to get on SSI I didn't meet the financial requirement because my parents had put some money aside for me in a mutual funds account & SSI considered it a resource since my name was on it. I wasn't allowed to get my name taken off without closing the account due to the way it was set up. My parents wouldn't allow me to close it because the stocks had just went down & they thought they would go back up. I was also wanting to get a job & my parents believed that 1ce I got a job, I wouldn't quality for SSI anymore. I had no luck in the job department for a few years & I had a mental breakdown at 20 cuz of my parents being on my back about how I was too lazy to find a job even thou I was going to places every couple months & putting in job apps. Me & my 1st girlfriend broke up around that time & it pushed me over the edge & I slashed my arm 9x. After that my parents allowed me to close the mutual funds & I wrote my parents checks to pay em back for my expenses that they had paid for since I graduated high-skewl. They talked like they would give me that money back if/when I got my own place or needed it for something that would help me become more independent. I've been living with my girlfriend for over 5 years now & I never got any of that money back. They had also bought a house for me because they were tired of me living with them & the house needed aLOT of fixing up. My dad never finished fixing it up & they sold it to my aunt a couple years after I moved in with Cass & they won't help us buy a house here. It's like they don't care about some things now that I'm no longer being forced to live with them. They're lower middle class & have a lot of money in savings & the like. Anyways... getting back on topic, I think the way the systems are set up, theyencourage people to waste their money in order to receive more instead of allowing them the save up so they can be more independent & not be forced to continue relying on the system. I think it's good that your parents are willing to help you like that. My advice would be NOT to put your checks in there. Give your parents cash & have them make the deposits since cash cant be traced. I would also be concerned that the system/benefits your on will consider the account a resource since you'd be allowed access to the money. I would just keep the extra/surplus money in cash or buy things like gold that I could sell when I wanted/needed money.

"Hear all, trust nothing"
~Ferengi Rule Of Acquisition #190
https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Ru ... cquisition