Page 1 of 1 [ 9 posts ] 

khaoz
Veteran
Veteran

14 Apr 2014, 8:49 pm

So, I just get the majority of my plants ready and set when the weather guy says the temperature is going to drop 30 degrees and snow return, even if just for a day. Just when I thought it was all over for this year, all this nasty weather.

Misslizard
Veteran
Veteran

15 Apr 2014, 9:28 am

It got back cold last night,but I only have stuff planted that can take that,greens,onions,etc..I was worried that it would get below 25F,that will kill the fruit in the bud,and all my peaches,
pears,plums had bloomed out.It didn't get that cold,so far we may have fruit.I don't plant the tomatoes and warm season stuff till May,I've got them in the house under lights.

"Security is mostly a superstition.It does not exist in nature,nor do the children of men as a whole experience it.Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure.Life is either a daring adventure,or nothing." Helen Keller

TallyMan
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

15 Apr 2014, 9:56 am

I've got all my brassica seedlings planted out over the last few days. Just erected the poles to take the climbing (runner) green beans and will plant the seeds for them but they won't emerge from the ground until it warms up a bit more. All my onion sets are in. Only just planted the tomato seeds in the propagator. Got lots of sweetcorn seedlings up now, but they are in a windowsill for another week or so before planting out, each inside cylinders made from old plastic water bottles; they make great mini greenhouses. My peas are a couple of inches hight now. We are tucking into asparagus now and the remnants of winter's brussels sprouts leaves (the greens are quite tasty, though some might find them too strongly flavoured). Still picking lots of Swiss Chard and just planted the seedlings for the next crop of them. Got a few rows of early potatoes in but more to plant yet. Busy time of the year in the garden.

Misslizard
Veteran
Veteran

16 Apr 2014, 6:27 pm

Your climate must be very mild Tallyman.I can't plant beans or other warm stuff till May,they rot.Ive got spring greens out,onions, and the garlic looks great.The weather was weird here,so I just got my potatoes out a week ago,usually I plant them mid March and if we get a cold snap I put straw over them.My turnips greens over winter,not much help if they are covered in ice and snow :? This winter sucked.
There are all sorts of baby plants waiting to go out,this year I'm hoping for rain this summer,didn't rain last year till I left,then it poured,like seven inches.The foot tall dried up corn was seven foot tall when I got back.Amazing. 8O Didn't plant that much last year and it kicked me in the ass this winter when I got snowed in for awhile.
I've even got plants to share with people.Its been great therapy,just seeing the seedlings pop up.A true miracle.
One great thing,the lilacs are starting to bloom.

"Security is mostly a superstition.It does not exist in nature,nor do the children of men as a whole experience it.Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure.Life is either a daring adventure,or nothing." Helen Keller

khaoz
Veteran
Veteran

16 Apr 2014, 11:22 pm

I am in an apartment with a 2nd floor balcony. My options limited. Around twenty plants so far, in containers. Had to bring them all inside for two days. Herbs, some tomatoes and peppers, strawberries already, kale, romaine lettuce, celery, and some flowers to attract some butterflies and hummingbirds to frolic with me.

I am not so accomplished a gardener as others, but trying to learn my way, with the help of some channels on youtube.

khaoz
Veteran
Veteran

16 Apr 2014, 11:49 pm

TallyMan wrote:
I've got all my brassica seedlings planted out over the last few days. Just erected the poles to take the climbing (runner) green beans and will plant the seeds for them but they won't emerge from the ground until it warms up a bit more. All my onion sets are in. Only just planted the tomato seeds in the propagator. Got lots of sweetcorn seedlings up now, but they are in a windowsill for another week or so before planting out, each inside cylinders made from old plastic water bottles; they make great mini greenhouses. My peas are a couple of inches hight now. We are tucking into asparagus now and the remnants of winter's brussels sprouts leaves (the greens are quite tasty, though some might find them too strongly flavoured). Still picking lots of Swiss Chard and just planted the seedlings for the next crop of them. Got a few rows of early potatoes in but more to plant yet. Busy time of the year in the garden.

How much land do you use for your gardening? It sounds like you have quite a lot going on. Lots of work there.

khaoz
Veteran
Veteran

16 Apr 2014, 11:52 pm

Misslizard wrote:
It got back cold last night,but I only have stuff planted that can take that,greens,onions,etc..I was worried that it would get below 25F,that will kill the fruit in the bud,and all my peaches,
pears,plums had bloomed out.It didn't get that cold,so far we may have fruit.I don't plant the tomatoes and warm season stuff till May,I've got them in the house under lights.

I am still learning about all of this. I move around a lot so I normally just do kitchen herbs , tomatoes and scallions. Trying to branch out this time and learn something new. I would love to do peaches but not from a balcony.

Misslizard
Veteran
Veteran

17 Apr 2014, 10:34 am

There are some fruit trees that are miniature and can be grown in pots.Strawberries do good in containers and make a pretty plant.This nursery has stuff for small spaces.Ive ordered from them and received nice plants,they are also a family business.
http://ediblelandscaping.com
Eggplant and peppers do great in pots.There is even a corn called Blue Jade that will grow and yield in a large pot.

khaoz
Veteran
Veteran

17 Apr 2014, 11:23 am

TYVM, I shall check this out.