Why do libraries have alarm towers at the door?

Page 2 of 2 [ 20 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

babybird
Veteran
Veteran

20 Apr 2014, 7:41 am

TallyMan wrote:
I love libraries and bookshops. Curiously the French word for bookshop is libraire and the word for library is bibliothèque.

Thanks for that. People don't often teach me stuff. :P

Stannis
Veteran
Veteran

20 Apr 2014, 7:47 am

khaoz wrote:
TallyMan wrote:
babybird wrote:
^^Librarians scare me.^^

Me too.

I think libraries these days are turning into daycare centers. Around here, and lately most libraries I go into, seem largely devoted to entertaining toddlers. Our small library in my community is probably 70% dedicated to children under the age of ten. The rest seems to be utilized for community meetings of varying nature.

This is so in my local libraries, as well. I have gone there to do work, and I can't because of the noise.

Housedays
Raven
Raven

23 Apr 2014, 4:46 pm

Quill wrote:
Yeah, they are supposed to prevent book thievery. The one at my library goes off so often that they just tell people to go through anyway and don't care. I think their deactivator isn't working right because it goes off so often. Also, it sometimes goes off when you bring books back. It's really annoying!

Yeah. I've had cases where I was turning books or DVDs back in to the library and the alarm beeped on my way in.

RustDogofAus
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

24 Apr 2014, 7:08 am

To catch thieves.
It could be worse thankfully we live in an age where libraries allow you to borrow items and don't chain books to shelves anymore :P
Oh and that you can access such places freely....and are provided with the opportunity to acquire the adequate skills necessary for reading for that matter...
As for the libraries becoming daycare centres, unfortunately this is becoming too common. Parents just drop them off expecting the staff to babysit - despite the fact they are not normally trained in how to look after children and that even if the children are at fault (say running around like a herd of stampeding sheep) the staff are punished if something happens to them.