Sick of suburbia life! City life is MUCH better and open!

Page 1 of 3 [ 48 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

shortfatbalduglyman
Veteran
Veteran

10 Aug 2017, 9:18 pm

yeah i know there is something wrong with everything.

quite frankly i suspect that i do better somewhere not too urban. not too crowded. too much noise/stimulation. too many things going on.

but i would not want to live in the woods. that would feel dangerous. what if someone raped me? where i live is actually ideal in that way. close enough to somewhere urban, so that i can walk there. bookstores, grocery stores, public transportation to jobs, schools, parks.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

10 Aug 2017, 9:20 pm

I have found that if there is any degree of public transit/public amenities/culture, it's gonna be crowded and expensive compared to where I live now.

shortfatbalduglyman
Veteran
Veteran

10 Aug 2017, 9:24 pm

auntblabby wrote:
I have found that if there is any degree of public transit/public amenities/culture, it's gonna be crowded and expensive compared to where I live now.

__________________________________________________________________________________________

sooner or later i might end up homeless.

sooner or later i might not have a car.

even if i do have a car i am bad at driving.

so it would not make sense to move somewhere without sufficient public transportation.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

10 Aug 2017, 9:27 pm

we each must make our own accommodations.

shortfatbalduglyman
Veteran
Veteran

10 Aug 2017, 9:34 pm

auntblabby wrote:

________________________________________________________________________________

ok, but how do you get to work? telecommute?

where i live there are not a lot of jobs. but it is within public transportation distance of a lot of jobs.

first year of college, lived in a dorm. a lot of things were happening. right out the door and to the cafeteria. entire school within walking distance. library, grocery store, gym, track. class.

for that reason, among numerous other reasons, doubt it was worth it. lived in the apartments. it was like walk a couple yards and see someone you recognize.

after college, neighbors not too social. which is fine with me.

but what i could not imagine though is living somewhere without a sidewalk. living outside walking distance from the grocery store.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

10 Aug 2017, 9:57 pm

shortfatbalduglyman wrote:
auntblabby wrote:

________________________________________________________________________________

ok, but how do you get to work? telecommute? where i live there are not a lot of jobs. but it is within public transportation distance of a lot of jobs. first year of college, lived in a dorm. a lot of things were happening. right out the door and to the cafeteria. entire school within walking distance. library, grocery store, gym, track. class.
for that reason, among numerous other reasons, doubt it was worth it. lived in the apartments. it was like walk a couple yards and see someone you recognize. after college, neighbors not too social. which is fine with me. but what i could not imagine though is living somewhere without a sidewalk. living outside walking distance from the grocery store.

I scrimped and saved for decades, until I got laid off [expected it] from the uncivil service, and my choice was to try to find some mcjob someplace when my aging body could no longer tolerate it, or to live in genteel semi-voluntary poverty. I chose the latter and have not regretted it. been out of the rat race since 2006. no sidewalks out here. if a car comes along, get onto somebody's yard and get yelled at, if there are no woods to jump into. here, it is house, a hundred feet or more of woods, then another house. trees everywhere, surrounding everything. crude bumpy country roads. dust. mud.

shortfatbalduglyman
Veteran
Veteran

10 Aug 2017, 10:04 pm

auntblabby wrote:
auntblabby wrote:

ok, but how do you get to work? telecommute? where i live there are not a lot of jobs. but it is within public transportation distance of a lot of jobs. first year of college, lived in a dorm. a lot of things were happening. right out the door and to the cafeteria. entire school within walking distance. library, grocery store, gym, track. class.
for that reason, among numerous other reasons, doubt it was worth it. lived in the apartments. it was like walk a couple yards and see someone you recognize. after college, neighbors not too social. which is fine with me. but what i could not imagine though is living somewhere without a sidewalk. living outside walking distance from the grocery store.

I scrimped and saved for decades, until I got laid off [expected it] from the uncivil service, and my choice was to try to find some mcjob someplace when my aging body could no longer tolerate it, or to live in genteel semi-voluntary poverty. I chose the latter and have not regretted it. been out of the rat race since 2006. no sidewalks out here. if a car comes along, get onto somebody's yard and get yelled at, if there are no woods to jump into. here, it is house, a hundred feet or more of woods, then another house. trees everywhere, surrounding everything. crude bumpy country roads. dust. mud.

although living where you live might be better than living somewhere better and having to work a mcjob.

sooner or later, i have to panhandle. the state i live in is an "at will" employer. only had minimum wage jobs. and got fired.

where i live there are a lot of panhandlers.

or maybe professional research subject.

some nontraditional job.

mcjob

the older i get the more incompetent i get. seriously.

standing up 40 hours a week? loud noises? angry customers? claustrophobia?

pretty much rules out all the jobs that i qualify for.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

10 Aug 2017, 10:07 pm

maybe professional research subject. some nontraditional job. mcjob. the older i get the more incompetent i get. seriously. standing up 40 hours a week? loud noises? angry customers? claustrophobia? pretty much rules out all the jobs that i qualify for.

if it weren't for some financial luck, i'd be living under a bridge some place. I wasn't really made for this world. wrong planet.

shortfatbalduglyman
Veteran
Veteran

12 Aug 2017, 9:38 pm

auntblabby wrote:
maybe professional research subject. some nontraditional job. mcjob. the older i get the more incompetent i get. seriously. standing up 40 hours a week? loud noises? angry customers? claustrophobia? pretty much rules out all the jobs that i qualify for.

if it weren't for some financial luck, i'd be living under a bridge some place. I wasn't really made for this world. wrong planet.

yeah i might end up homeless sooner or later.

panhandling, recycling, prostitution

ain't got no job or job skills.

but plenty of precious lil "people" that are just as incompetent as me have jobs. especially counselors. it's like all they have to do is sit there and flap their traps. there is no right or wrong answer. and if there were, it wouldn't matter, b/c it's not objectively recorded and subject to peer review. such as Pub Med database

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

12 Aug 2017, 9:55 pm

auntblabby wrote:

yeah i might end up homeless sooner or later. panhandling, recycling, prostitution ain't got no job or job skills. but plenty of precious lil "people" that are just as incompetent as me have jobs. especially counselors. it's like all they have to do is sit there and flap their traps. there is no right or wrong answer. and if there were, it wouldn't matter, b/c it's not objectively recorded and subject to peer review. such as Pub Med database

I definitely have skills but nobody wants to pay me for them. wrong planet, on a different planet people'd be linin' up to avail of my unique skills. the difference between folk like us, and the successful middle/upper class, is family background, luck, and above all, clear [non-addled] energy.

shortfatbalduglyman
Veteran
Veteran

12 Aug 2017, 10:08 pm

auntblabby wrote:
auntblabby wrote:

yeah i might end up homeless sooner or later. panhandling, recycling, prostitution ain't got no job or job skills. but plenty of precious lil "people" that are just as incompetent as me have jobs. especially counselors. it's like all they have to do is sit there and flap their traps. there is no right or wrong answer. and if there were, it wouldn't matter, b/c it's not objectively recorded and subject to peer review. such as Pub Med database

____________________________________________________________________________________
I definitely have skills but nobody wants to pay me for them. wrong planet, on a different planet people'd be linin' up to avail of my unique skills. the difference between folk like us, and the successful middle/upper class, is family background, luck, and above all, clear [non-addled] energy.

family background? my sister is a medical doctor.

my precious lil "parents' " friend is a janitor. the janitor's daughter is also a medical doctor.

hence, like typical chinese parents do, they used to ask why are you not like your sister.

now they no longer ask that question, b/c my precious lil "mom" dropped dead 2 years ago.

and i would not say that i had bad "luck" per se. unless you call autism, Gender Identity Disorder, or clinical depression "bad luck". which i would not. sure, it's beyond your control. but terminology.

energy though. seriously

used to go donate blood a lot. succeeded over 25 times. but many times, got deferred. rejected. anemic. the definition of anemia was under 12.5g/dl (and later that changed to 13.0).

and now i am much more sluggish than i used to be

and i used to be pretty sluggish

sometimes too exhausted/lazy to even talk.

nothing seems worth the energy.

but whatever.

being exhausted could have advantages. like being too exhausted to do anything good or bad. simplicity.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

12 Aug 2017, 10:12 pm

^^^"being exhausted could have advantages. like being too exhausted to do anything good or bad. simplicity."
i'd buy THAT for a dollar. :wtg:

BTDT
Veteran
Veteran

12 Aug 2017, 10:32 pm

Services can be awfully hard to find out in the sticks.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

12 Aug 2017, 10:41 pm

BTDT wrote:
Services can be awfully hard to find out in the sticks.

you can say that again! :o one has to be a lot more independent out here. it can be a challenge.

shortfatbalduglyman
Veteran
Veteran

13 Aug 2017, 7:53 am

Aunt Blabby

What kind of services do they offer in the city that they don't have where you live?

Public transportation

Since my precious lil "parents" did not send me to get a diagnosis when I was under 18, the Regional Center told me that I don't qualify for professional services

BirdInFlight
Veteran
Veteran

13 Aug 2017, 9:01 am

I'm wondering could it be possible for the OP to trade one suburbia for another, but one that's closer to Seattle, reachable but not in the city, so that possibly it might be cheaper to live than the city itself, but you are still within easier travel distance?

Then you could maybe go in to the city often, start to make friends, get a job there and ease your way toward moving into urban Seattle.

I know that even satellite towns to a major city can be expensive also, but it might be a transitional step-up and at least get you in closer distance of the place you want to be.