31 May 2014, 3:27 pm

I don't own the required 465 items.

khaoz
Veteran
Veteran

31 May 2014, 3:51 pm

Kurgan wrote:
I don't own the required 465 items.

I'm single. I don't need but one spoon, one knife, one fork, one bowl, one glass etc. This be piece of cake for me. Sports cards, dishes, old clothes. books. I probably have 50 old phone charges, electrical cords, drill bits, hand tools. I could really almost make the 465 items throwing away nothing but ear plugs.

MjrMajorMajor
Veteran
Veteran

31 May 2014, 7:34 pm

I love the idea, but I could never do it. I get too attached to some items.

khaoz
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jun 2014, 8:32 am

MjrMajorMajor wrote:
I love the idea, but I could never do it. I get too attached to some items.

Thats the point of doing it gradually. The more you get rid of, the less you become attached to other things. Toda is day one. I got rid of 4 things. Tomorrow I will do 10, even if they are small.

TallyMan
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jun 2014, 11:28 am

I'm a bit of a hoarder and keep old bits of metal, wood and anything that *might* come in useful one day. It often does too. I don't have money to buy much new stuff so frequently have to repair things using bits and bobs that are laying around. Assuming I can remember owning the particular bits and remember where I put them. :lol: Unfortunately it doesn't always work. I made a thin slide-out cupboard the other day for the kitchen that needed a couple of casters and I ended up buying a couple... then found I'd already got some castors amongst all my junk.

Dillogic
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jun 2014, 12:01 pm

Why the hell would I give my stuff away?

khaoz
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jun 2014, 12:15 pm

Dillogic wrote:
Why the hell would I give my stuff away?

lol@ "my stuff"

see how attached you are to "stuff?"

Noone can "take" anything from you when you don't have attachment to "stuff"

Thank you for the Sunday chuckle

Dillogic
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jun 2014, 12:34 pm

Well duh, if you don't have anything, you don't have anything. That's markedly insightful.

Looking around:

-Clothes that I have? Yeah. It's cold in winter.
-Shoes (boots and thongs)? Yeah. I live in a forest, so I need the boots. I don't like dirty feet, so thongs are needed.
-Glasses? If I want to see properly.
-Knives? I don't have many, and the three I have are needed.
-I have a bed and computer desk + chair. Neither seem materialistic, though I can and have slept on the floor plenty of times. I suppose the chair + desk are luxuries, as is the computer I'm typing this on (albeit the computer does provide mental health benefits).
-I suppose I only need one of my two hunting bows (similar poundage and purpose); quiver and arrows are needed
-I suppose I only need one of my firearms, the .22LR Bolt gun + scope (big game can fall to an arrow above); I guess if I wasn't "selfish", I'd sell the rest and donate the money; I suppose I really don't need more than a single box of 50 .22LR rounds (compared to a couple of thousand).
-I have one fishing rod, which is useful and needed.
-Books? Yeah, they're a waste, but they do provide mental health benefits (so you'd say they're of marked use).
-DVDs? Same as the books.

Really, only the excess firearms, ammo and one bow are really "too much" from my belongings. Most of the recreational stuff (books and DVDs) are for mental health.

khaoz
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jun 2014, 12:50 pm

Dillogic wrote:
Well duh, if you don't have anything, you don't have anything. That's markedly insightful.

Looking around:

-Clothes that I have? Yeah. It's cold in winter.
-Shoes (boots and thongs)? Yeah. I live in a forest, so I need the boots. I don't like dirty feet, so thongs are needed.
-Glasses? If I want to see properly.
-Knives? I don't have many, and the three I have are needed.
-I have a bed and computer desk + chair. Neither seem materialistic, though I can and have slept on the floor plenty of times. I suppose the chair + desk are luxuries, as is the computer I'm typing this on (albeit the computer does provide mental health benefits).
-I suppose I only need one of my two hunting bows (similar poundage and purpose); quiver and arrows are needed
-I suppose I only need one of my firearms, the .22LR Bolt gun + scope (big game can fall to an arrow above); I guess if I wasn't "selfish", I'd sell the rest and donate the money; I suppose I really don't need more than a single box of 50 .22LR rounds (compared to a couple of thousand).
-I have one fishing rod, which is useful and needed.
-Books? Yeah, they're a waste, but they do provide mental health benefits (so you'd say they're of marked use).
-DVDs? Same as the books.

Really, only the excess firearms, ammo and one bow are really "too much" from my belongings. Most of the recreational stuff (books and DVDs) are for mental health.

2x-9p>m (0x0)p

TallyMan
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jun 2014, 12:52 pm

khaoz wrote:
2x-9p>m (0x0)p

Why do you sometimes reply to people with these equations? :?

Dillogic
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jun 2014, 3:36 pm

Not to mention the things I have took a long time to accumulate and lots of effort.

What else do I have around:

-a non-functional watch that my mother bought me; that'd be the last thing I'd get rid of
-a lighter; sure, not needed
-a chain and pendant from my mother; see above with the watch
-collectables; sure, not needed (took lots of effort to accumulate -- throwing them away for some quasi-cerebral exercise doesn't seem worth it at all)
-farm tools; no, they're needed

To me, it seems like a silly game some self-righteous suburbanites would play.

Pobbles
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jun 2014, 3:46 pm

Less clutter would be wonderful, but I become overly attached to objects and have a tendency to hoard. Stuff like wires, wires.

I still have items of clothing from my teenage years, half a lifetime ago :?
(even more disturbing - they still fit)

khaoz
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jun 2014, 3:55 pm

TallyMan wrote:
khaoz wrote:
2x-9p>m (0x0)p

Why do you sometimes reply to people with these equations? :?

It is my own language for things I cannot put into words people would understand. It has meaning to me beyond equation. It is a "language" i use. It is a form of code . I have a binder with the translation of the characters. In real life in situations I cannot find words for my response might sound like a drunken Asian fishmonger to someone, but it has meaning to me. Sorry, it's just how I express myself sometimes. It just pops out. I text my sisters this way most of the time and they have come to understand a bit of it.

khaoz
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jun 2014, 4:03 pm

Pobbles wrote:
Less clutter would be wonderful, but I become overly attached to objects and have a tendency to hoard. Stuff like wires, wires.

I still have items of clothing from my teenage years, half a lifetime ago :?
(even more disturbing - they still fit)

I have one 5 gallon bucket of things like that. I have a habit of scrounging from back alleys and dumpsters for things I might need to fix things or put things to gather in a jam. When I walk my eyes are constantly on the ground, not on people. I find most of the clips, bands, bolts, nuts and screws, from just being observant. Every door handle in my apartment is adorned with rubber bands, hair bands.....

screen_name
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jun 2014, 4:06 pm

I'm in.

So, just one thing today, right?

I have been diagnosed with Aspergers and MERLD
I have significant chronic medical conditions as well