Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ] 

MDD123
Veteran
Veteran

09 Dec 2015, 4:38 am

Think about it, you're about to walk out of your house when the video game version of you flashes red because you forgot to take your lunch with you. If you do pushups, you get an update of work done by muscle group, even experience points. In the evening, you get reminded to prepare for the next morning or just when to sleep.

What I really loved about video games (especially the platformers) was how simplified yet engaging they made things. Getting all the items you needed for the quest compared to double checking that I'm not forgetting my wallet really contrasts what I like about the video game experience.

The technology is getting there for this too. Image/Video processing software can identify objects and be trained to recognize faces. Scanners can track body movement and recognize activity. Will Wright (simcity creator) was working on a project that tried to merge real-life with a video game experience, its been years since I've heard anything about it.

The idea that you can use various forms of sensing technology in conjunction with computer algorithms to add structure to your daily routine isn't as far-fetched as it would've sounded 10 years ago.

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

Location: was Louisiana but now Vermont in the police state called USA

09 Dec 2015, 3:52 pm

This thread reminds me of this song

"Hear all, trust nothing"
~Ferengi Rule Of Acquisition #190
https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Ru ... cquisition

MDD123
Veteran
Veteran

09 Dec 2015, 7:12 pm

My computer has been anti-flash for months now. I couldn't watch the video.

I know I'm not the only one who thinks it would be awesome. There is so much information to track in my life and it's so scattered. If I want to have a good exercise regimen, I have to record my progress myself and keep track of my muscle groups. There are so many other aspects to manage too, like routine cleaning and daily routines.

Video games are so great because every relevant aspect is right in front of you. You have maps, a prioritized lineup of quests, and items of importance. It's easy to figure out what your character needs to do and what items it needs. My actual life is made up of tasks and subtasks too, but unlike an automated system, life gets really hectic the more I have to play manager for myself while living it.

Something like this would involve rigging your house with webcams and a software system that could interpret people and objects. It would be a bonus if you could use several cameras to develop a 3-d perspective of your house. Plus if you threw in sensors (like temperature) you could become more omni-sensing of your environment.

I personally couldn't say what it would take to operate such a platform, but the world needs this.

MDD123
Veteran
Veteran

09 Dec 2015, 11:52 pm

Does the idea appeal to anyone else? I'm talking about using cameras and algorithms to pick up all the details you might miss about yourself and even interpret some of them. You could have a video game version of yourself and your world-space,

I think it would help me keep track of myself better and give me more accurate self awareness. I don't blame anyone for not following this, but it's a really interesting idea because it could change a lot about the daily experience.