Does anybody on here ride motorcycles?

Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 

freddie_mercury
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

03 Jun 2014, 9:55 am

I have been wanting one for several years - but my wife hasn't really bought into it...until recently. She said that as soon as we have enough for a down-payment on a new house, that I can start saving to get one.

I don't want anything major - I really like the Suzuki TU250X. Which would make a really cool cafe style bike with only a few modifications.

I ride a road bike (cycling), and I love being able to ride for miles at a time all by myself, with nothing but the repetitive motion of pedaling to keep my mind occupied. And I feel like I would be able to get that same feeling on a motorcycle...but be able to ride much, much longer distances.

Here is a link to the motorcycle that I like.

CosmicRuss
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jun 2014, 10:07 am

Very nice bike. My last one was one of these and I slid off it on black ice and tore my knee ligaments quite badly. I sold it not long after and bought a car. :cry:

Eccles_the_Mighty
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jun 2014, 11:46 am

I got my bike licence years before I passed my car test. I rode a 500cc Honda but had a bad smash after which motorbikes kinda lost their appeal.

PLEASE
If you're going to buy a motorbike then also get a decent set of leathers and a full face helmet, you'll appreciate this advice the first time you come off.

TallyMan
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jun 2014, 12:00 pm

^ I second the safety advice after smashing up a couple of bikes. Avoid the temptation to take the bike out on a hot summer's day wearing only T-shirt and jeans.

My favourite bike was my Kawasaki Z1300 - 6 cylinders, 1300 CC, it was a fantastic bike. The acceleration was unbelievable, it left super cars standing, but nearly ripped my arms from their sockets unless I got into a solid position prior to opening up the throttle. Not very good in snow or ice though. The bike was very heavy and if it started to slip over sideways keeping it upright was difficult.

250 CC sounds about right for a little runaround bike. It should be light enough to manipulate better in poor weather conditions and have enough power to get around in city traffic; though personally I'd prefer a minimum of 500 CC for touring.

freddie_mercury
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

03 Jun 2014, 1:15 pm

Thanks for the safety advice. I know that when it comes time to buy a bike, I will have to budget for leathers, boots, helmet, and gloves.

Right now, I live in a very small town. I can walk faster to my office than I can drive to it. And about three miles from our house is the Natchez Trace. It is a national park (if you can call a roadway a national park). The speed limit on it is 50 mph...and trust me, they hold people to it. So most of my initial riding, I plan on doing out there...and not in inclement weather.

I ride my road bike out there all the time, and feel really safe. I wouldn't use it as a daily driver - just something to get away from the house on the weekends when I have had enough family time.

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jun 2014, 7:34 am

I ride a lot.....on the back of my dad's bike. would love to be able to ride one by myself eventually.