Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ] 

khaoz
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jul 2014, 8:16 am

Bird mortality? I had never considered the bird population before, but these are interesting numbers. That be a lot of birds

http://www.sibleyguides.com/conservatio ... mortality/

Misslizard
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jul 2014, 8:38 am

Windows were a surprise,I figured feral and house cats were the number one killer.
Pesticides come as no surprise,a neighbor had a blue bird box in the garden,he put out seven dust,then a few days later when he went to show the baby birds to his granddaughter they were all dead,the parents had fed the poisoned bugs to the babies.

"Security is mostly a superstition.It does not exist in nature,nor do the children of men as a whole experience it.Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure.Life is either a daring adventure,or nothing." Helen Keller

khaoz
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jul 2014, 8:49 am

What amazed me was the hundreds of millions killed in some categories. I had never even considered the bird population to be at that level. I was just sitting on balcony watching the birds when I thought to look up this data. I spotted a "ginger" on a phone line and it flew right in front of my balcony. I have seen redbirds but never a bright orange one. I envision raptors swooping down and catching smaller birds in mid flight but have never seen it. And even with all the feral cats running around here, I have never seen a cat in a tree. They are all running around at night dumpster diving.

Misslizard
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jul 2014, 9:02 am

I have lots of birds here,I put out feed for them.I do get a window hit every now and then,I go out and look,most of the time the bird is knocked out but alive.I place it somewhere safe where it can recover.Birds of prey get some,I've seen a sparrow hawk and a barred owl snag a couple but they have to eat and feed babies also.The owl sort of shucks the feathers off and swallows whole.
When we had a bad drought I saw birds a the bird bath that usually stay up in the canopy.In the winter I have a heater for the bird bath.
One of my hobbies is to identify ones I haven't seen before,I keep my binoculars where I can get to them quick and my bird book.
When they migrate I see some cool ones,Rose breasted Grosbeaks come to the feeder and the Baltimore orioles suck the sugar water out of the hummingbird feeder.
The other day there was a turkey hen in the yard,she was pulling seed heads off the tall grass.

"Security is mostly a superstition.It does not exist in nature,nor do the children of men as a whole experience it.Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure.Life is either a daring adventure,or nothing." Helen Keller