Page 3 of 5 [ 74 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

wavecannon
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

17 Aug 2014, 7:39 pm

I used to think that people who were killed in films were actors who wanted to die anyway and thought they may as well do it in a spectacular way for entertainment.

Edit: crap, apparently that one's common. I'll try to remember a few more.

I genuinely believed that everyone I'd ever met was plotting behind my back to kill me.

If I saw a face in a wallpaper pattern, or a rock, or so on (pareidolia), I saw it as a conscious being.

Me and my best friend planned on marrying each other when we grew up, and as I was a month younger we agreed I'd be the girl.

When I was taken to the football, I thought our team name was actually the name of a particular player on the pitch, and could never work out who. Those were good days, because due to not understanding/caring about divisions and my team's insane success at the time, I didn't know about relegation and if we didn't win we could always have a go the next week, like at school playtime.

There was a portal at the supermarket checkout which goods could vanish into when they were being scanned.

Not only could toys come alive when your back was turned, but they would also plot against you. Toy Story was a horror film to me. I wasn't the same since.

Before being born, animals were asked what species they wanted to be, and they were born that way. That's how I rationalised being "friends" with the horse across the stream from my grandparents'.

I'd been placed on the most boring world possible, because the majority of those I saw on TV were different, hugely colourful, cartoon worlds where crazy things happened and nearly everyone seemed happy.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

18 Aug 2014, 12:22 am

I used to think that the world had two time zones and it would be total daylight on one side of the world while the other side would be pitch black. I learned about time zones when I was 10.

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

19 Aug 2014, 6:18 am

Kiprobalhato wrote:
Anna_K wrote:
When I was a kid?..

I used to think that Africa was a country

there's plenty of adults that think this too. :?

Um....I have always thought that Africa was a country until I read this very post just now. :)

Kiprobalhato
Veteran
Veteran

19 Aug 2014, 10:34 am

well there is the African Union. :)

לא לדעת כלום
וזה הכל אהובי, זה הכל.

i_wanna_blue
Veteran
Veteran

19 Aug 2014, 11:04 am

I always felt like an alien as a kid, like I was somehow not like other people. This lead me to think that people knew more about existing on Earth than I did, since their own existence didn't seem to trouble them like my own troubled me. So I used to have this feeling that they knew more about life and for some reason they didn't want to tell me or let me in on it. I always wondered why they were care-free, and why I was troubled by everything.

This made me see, adults especially, as different, and I felt they had superior abilities to me. Like I thought they could see things from a third person perspective, but my perspective was limited to a first person. I always wondered how it was that adults drove cars, since it seemed impossible from a first person perspective, so they must be experiencing the world in a better way.

I used to think that planes and cars were always in existence, and when I learnt about ancient history I thought the world back then was no different to the present.

I used to think the people on the tv could see me.

And I used to think there were two sides to the world, like a coin has two sides. The world as we know it, now was on one side, and I wondered what was on the other.

Plus a whole lot of things I'm a bit too embarrassed to mention.

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

19 Aug 2014, 11:20 am

I used to think my best cousins arranged a time and a place when I'm not about, just to sit and talk about me.

Borden88
Raven
Raven

21 Aug 2014, 1:40 am

I know I have some really good ones, but I can't think of them now.

I once seen the horizen which was dark, and thought it was a wall.
I used to think:
- That the computer case unit was the hard drive (common).
- That more RAM, the faster your computer would be (common).
- Someone was driving me somewhere, and they turned on the radio and pressed number 6, to which the song imediately started "Sheryl Crow - Everyday Is A Winding Road", and I would think that if you pressed number 6 on the car radio, that song would come on.
- That when I came up the basement stairs, that a hand with a really long arm would chase me up and grab me.
- When I was young, early 90's, my family and I went to a park, which I can't the name at all, or where it was at. I vagely rememebr a swimming pool by the water, or something, it was one of those pools, that one side was a ramp, so it had no stairs. I seen red thing on the floor, on the ramp, and I wouldn't get in, becuase I thought that they were sea creatures, that would attack me if I go in. I guess it was just something, so you wouldn't slip getting in.
- I have a far of putting my head under water in the pool, becuase I would suddenly appear in a close underwater room, with big pipes, some laying on the ground, and I would be stuck there.
- I have a memory, which I think may have been a dream, must've been. When I was really young, my Mom and I were on a way home, and I had to stop and pee. I just remember this toilet, light came out through to opening, where the water flushes. I believe that somewhere in Sackville, is a really cool toilet like that.
- That the computer could run out of ink (not be able to type).
- That my stuffed animals would be alive when I left the room.
- The year the N64 came out, I think 1996. I would goto Blockbuster video, and they would have a one set up there with the game Super Mario 64. I would explore the rooms, but I never got much time to do so. It only seemed like a minute, and they (my family) had the videos they wanted to rent. I ventured outside the castle (in the game) and thought that there were no bounderies, and that I would be able to goto my house, in the game.
- I had a few for "Zelda: Ocarina Of Time", when I first got it. Back before I knew how to get walkthroughs online, I would call the number on the back of the gmae booklet, asking how to get through parts, I kept getting stuck. They eventually blocked my number, becuase I kept calling, and I got a really expensive pone bill.
- Speaking of Zelda, when I got the game "Majora's Mask", during the intro if you leave the game, before you select game play, it would show Link sitting down, and I used to think there was a way to make him do that, in the game.
- When I saw the commerical for the GameCube, of someone sitting on a couch, and then the walls would be screens, and I thought that, that would really happen and that you would be inside of it. I didn't get a GameCube until last Christmas, bigger than I thought.
- I once noticed that the cover for "The Brave Little Toaster", the the vacuum was pickish color, and it appeared blue on the TV, so I thought that the TV picture was wrong, so I tested it on different TV's.
One time, when I was really young, on the way to ClamWater Beach, my sister pointed to a house, and said that it was haunted and the driveway was always ice, even in the summer. I believed it for a long time.
At Sunnyside Mall, when you go on, there are these weird triangler vents that come down from the ceiling, I used to think they were something else, I'm not sure what. It is the only place, that I have seen vents like that, and they're still there, I think.
- That the clouds where moving (it's actually us, and the Earth, very common).
- That, swallowed gum would stay in your stomach forever.

A lot more, but too tired to think of them.

Raleigh
Veteran
Veteran

22 Aug 2014, 5:51 am

I thought people lived where they worked (teachers lived at the school etc) and it was illegal for them to be seen anywhere else (such as shopping or eating out)
Spiders were the hair in the bath plughole come to life.
I thought people could read my mind but they pretended they couldn't just to be perverse.
'Airborne' was when you stuck your head out the window of the car and the rush of wind you felt was the air being born.
I expected there to be nothing in a can of evaporated milk.
I expected it to be dark when the sun was 'out' (like a lightbulb).
Darkness was feathery and flew away when you turned on the light.
Parents actually had eyes in the back of their head.
Old people were wrinkly because they stayed in the bath for so long the 'pruning' was irreversible. (Perhaps that's why I still don't care for bathing)
Bell bottom pants had real bells in them. They could only be heard by dogs, though.
The toilet emptied into hell when you flushed. I was terrified the devil would grab my bottom and pull me down while I was on the toilet.
All cats were named Koo and all dogs were named Mutt. People ignored this fact and gave them stupid names like Twinkle and Fido.
An armchair was stuffed with people's arms.
The world was going to turn upside down one day so I needed to make sure I was never directly under a fan.

Borden88
Raven
Raven

22 Aug 2014, 1:26 pm

^ A lot of that is how I think, sometimes.

Mindsigh
Veteran
Veteran

22 Aug 2014, 4:23 pm

I used to be afraid of the idea of skeleton keys. I was very afraid of skeletons. I still kind of am, even though there was one in my 5th grade classroom that I used to pretend to dance with.

babybird
Veteran
Veteran

23 Aug 2014, 1:50 pm

I used to think that doctors never got ill.

I still have a hard time believing they do, even now.

Sea Gull
Sea Gull

23 Aug 2014, 4:41 pm

Wind was caused by tree branches and leaves moving.
After you die, you just see some blue waves forever. (No idea where the blue waves came from.)
(Before I learned about big bang, evolution etc.: ) The world has always been like now (with seasons repeating, etc.), for infinite time backwards.
War was a large building where people went and shot at each other.
There has been democracy, and no capital punishment, in my country for about 150 years. (Actually since 1990.)
You had to spin the steering wheel to make a car go. (Common, I think.)

Kiriae wrote:
- That people wear clothes in the summer because of some stupid tradition.

Isn't that true? :D

syzygyish
Veteran
Veteran

25 Aug 2014, 6:32 am

nixiewp wrote:
I am a kid (12 years old). Therefore, everything I have ever thought of was something that I used to think of as a kid. I have made U-Turns on some of them (going to bed at dusk as I complained about the hours I started sleeping in during DST). I have been punished on a few occasions (school punishments). Some of them are new (joining WP), some of them are old (sleeping in my Mum and Dad's bed). Some of them I have next-to-no idea of now (a PowerPoint shown when I was sort of new to primary school where Classes 1, 2 and 3 - the classes moved up in those days - were eaten up by a creature which caused near-panic in me; I don't know what it did to Class 4, my class, but it certainly didn't eat it and go on a rampage).

Awesome! :thumleft: :thumright:

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

25 Aug 2014, 9:54 am

I used to think that black ghosts with yellow teeth walked the streets at night, and they haunted bad little boys and girls.

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

25 Aug 2014, 10:34 am

People got black skin from being in the sun for too long
Only men and women can marry and women can only be with guys and guys can only be with women
You get a kid after you get married
If you want a baby, you go to the hospital and get one
People made rules to control everyone and to punish kids to watch them suffer
Life before I was born was boring and everyone must have been bored because they didn't have the same things I had back then
You turn a different age on your birthday after you blow out the candles
You turn into a star when you die
Our skeleton bones are white (I had no idea they turned white when the bone is dead)
People who didn't like kids were all mean and evil like the ones I saw in movies
All step parents and step siblings were mean like in Disney
I thought firemen lived in firehouses
I thought Dalmatians talked
I thought all dogs were mean
I didn't know life was modern in other countries until 5th grade
I was put on this planet for everyone to pick on and be mean to and god hated me so he did this :(
If clothes stayed in the dryer for too long, they shrunk into the size of Barbie clothes
I could outgrow being different if I try harder
If I found another kid to pick on and be mean to, kids would like me and think I was just like everyone else and be nice to me and like me and not think I am stupid anymore

If I liked the same things other kids liked, they would like me and not think I am stupid
Cotton candy was made from clouds
Yelling meant raising your voice (I thought this until adulthood)
Bullying meant taking peoples lunch money and beating other people up for no reason and taking their things and pouring stuff on their lunch

My mom was crazy for sending us to bed with the sun up
Bedtime is when the sun is down and as long as the sun is up, no bedtime
Some kids wore diapers because they didn't want to use the bathroom and hadn't quit wearing them yet and I also thought they weren't allowed to use the potty until I learned I had quit wearing them so I thought those other kids who were still in them hadn't quit yet

Only astronauts wore diapers
Kids had wheelchairs or crutches or walkers just because they could
My teacher gave kids certain rules and only they could do it and it was the rule for them only because they're them and no one else is allowed to do it (the reason why my parents took me out that class and put me in mainstream full time because it was so damn confusing and I didn't know it then)
I had to scream in school and make noise and act up because it was school behavior and the rule (another reason why I was taken out of that class)
Rules were different in school and I could say certain things there my mom didn't allow at home
Back when I was in special ed full time, I thought the other classrooms were strange and they had different rules than mine did

Quote:
I had a few for "Zelda: Ocarina Of Time", when I first got it. Back before I knew how to get walkthroughs online, I would call the number on the back of the gmae booklet, asking how to get through parts, I kept getting stuck. They eventually blocked my number, becuase I kept calling, and I got a really expensive pone bill.

Why did they block your number? Was there a limit for how often you can call for help?

Daughter: NT, no diagnoses.

babybird
Veteran
Veteran

25 Aug 2014, 11:44 am

I used to think everyone was like me.

f****n' hell, realities so harsh!