i don't know, can't say either way. 20%  20%  [ 6 ]
i'd like a nice yummy ice cream now! 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
i have experienced an OOBE with heavenly features 3%  3%  [ 1 ]
Total votes : 30

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

29 Aug 2014, 9:31 pm

new heaven thread and poll!! ! first off, I wanna know how many here believe in heaven, and of those that do, what is in their heaven? as for me, I believe it will be a land of temples in iridescent light at the higher levels, and a slightly ethereal version of mundane reality at the lower levels, with people functioning mostly like they do on earth among the living with the exception of telepathy and telekinesis, object creation via focused thought, telepresense, teleportation and a few other neat tricks. so please, pipe up here with your own visions of heaven! :)

Misslizard
Veteran
Veteran

29 Aug 2014, 10:21 pm

I used to,maybe there's one.No way to prove either way.
For me it would be here,with all my dead relatives I loved and the pets I've had over the years.
No garden pests.Cucumber beetles must be the a plague of sorts.No skeeters or ticks either.
No body aches and pains,sickness or death.
A tree that grows cheese and I could eat it without IBS.A spring that flows beer would also be nice.I'll pass on the pigs walking around with knives stuck in them.Maybe a plant that produces crispy bacon.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

29 Aug 2014, 10:30 pm

if you were an LDS person, maybe the best fit for you might be what they called the telestial realm, which, according to joseph smith himself [to whom it was shown in a vision], was such a nice place that he was sorely tempted to go there ahead of time, so to speak.

Misslizard
Veteran
Veteran

29 Aug 2014, 10:35 pm

When I was little and a pet died they would tell me about the Happy Hunting Ground that all animals go to.It sounded fun to me,I wanted to go there instead of the fluffy white cloud heaven I pictured from the bible.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

29 Aug 2014, 10:43 pm

on the other side of the rainbow bridge, ah yes. a nice place to visit, for sure. cinematically, in a flick called "all dogs go to heaven" such was depicted in a loving way. my fave vision of heaven is in the movie "the adding machine" which featured endless ocean beaches and countless kiosks giving away free stuff. :D

Misslizard
Veteran
Veteran

29 Aug 2014, 10:48 pm

There is another Native American belief that the rainbow is made of the flowers that have bloomed and died here.I like that.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

29 Aug 2014, 10:52 pm

if a picture is as a thousand words, then heaven must be an epic poem that goes on forever.

Misslizard
Veteran
Veteran

29 Aug 2014, 11:02 pm

I'd settle for a Pure Land.
http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pure_Land_Buddhism

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

29 Aug 2014, 11:41 pm

Amitābha's pure land of Sukhāvatī is described in the Longer Sukhāvatīvyūha Sūtra as a land of beauty that surpasses all other realms. It is said to be inhabited by many gods, men, flowers, fruits, and adorned with wish-granting trees where rare birds come to rest. In Pure Land traditions, entering the Pure Land is popularly perceived as equivalent to the attainment of enlightenment.

sounds good to me. but I will admit ignorance of Buddhism. one of my aspie group members is a practicing Buddhist.

Misslizard
Veteran
Veteran

30 Aug 2014, 12:02 am

It's the only belief system that made senses to me,I believe in karma.I believe I've seen it.
But I'm lazy and don't go to the retreat center.I see a friend that's there on occasion,she did a three year private retreat 8O amazing.
It was the most accepting group of people I've ever been around,and diverse,from people in jaguars from Texas to dreadlocked old hippies from the emerald triangle,and all colors.If you didn't want to talk,there were people with signs around there necks that said "observing silence."Nice.
And lots of good food,I volunteered one year and helped with the food so I could attend the retreat for free.
People did all the chores together,it was really nice.I just sort of got overwhelmed by all the people.the older I get the more social activities tire me out,even pleasant ones.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

30 Aug 2014, 12:05 am

Misslizard wrote:
It's the only belief system that made senses to me,I believe in karma.I believe I've seen it.
But I'm lazy and don't go to the retreat center.I see a friend that's there on occasion,she did a three year private retreat 8O amazing.
It was the most accepting group of people I've ever been around,and diverse,from people in jaguars from Texas to dreadlocked old hippies from the emerald triangle,and all colors.If you didn't want to talk,there were people with signs around there necks that said "observing silence."Nice.
And lots of good food,I volunteered one year and helped with the food so I could attend the retreat for free.
People did all the chores together,it was really nice.I just sort of got overwhelmed by all the people.the older I get the more social activities tire me out,even pleasant ones.

my late mother was a non-practicing Shinto Buddhist. she used to pray at this shrine with incense and such. can you please tell me how you saw karma in action?

Misslizard
Veteran
Veteran

30 Aug 2014, 12:24 am

It's just my interpretation of it.There was a person that was rude to me on several occasions,one day sitting at the cafe window I saw them slip and slide down a steep part of the court house lawn,they weren't hurt,I wouldn't want that,but it was very comical.And all the old codgers that sit out there saw it and cackled.
That's really a simple explanation.
You might enjoy this.
http://www.rigpawiki.org/index.php?title=Wheel_of_Life

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

30 Aug 2014, 12:46 am

wow :idea: that is very deep. :o how long have you been involved with Buddhism?

Misslizard
Veteran
Veteran

30 Aug 2014, 12:57 am

Four years give or take.Some of the ceremonies are relaxing for people who like repetitive activities.Its soothing to use prayer beads.You don't have to be a Buddhist to get benefits from
the soothing motion,and mantras are nice to repeat to get rid of negative thoughts.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

30 Aug 2014, 1:08 am

is "nam, myo-ho, renge kyo" [I dedicate myself to the mystic law of cause and effect transmitted from Buddha] one of them? when I was recovering from a shattered elbow and various other body parts 2 years back, my healing mantra [recite with a bit of manic desperation] was "I'm BETTER, every day, regardless!" said over and over.

Misslizard
Veteran
Veteran

30 Aug 2014, 1:29 am

I don't know,I'm only familiar with mantras in Tibetan.It very well could be a mantra in another language.