Page 5 of 6 [ 89 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

mr_bigmouth_502
Veteran
Veteran

19 Sep 2014, 2:10 am

auntblabby wrote:
mr_bigmouth_502 wrote:
I keep hearing about bagged milk but I never actually see it. I've never seen it in Alberta, and I haven't seen it in BC the various number of times I've been there either. Apparently it was something that was more prevalent when my parents were growing up.

Evil_Chuck wrote:
So yeah. Um, Canada.

I have nothing against it. I love poutine and the Red Green Show. It would be interesting to live there, free of the U.S.' obnoxious politics and popular culture.

Toronto worries me, however. Way too much American influence going on in there. And Rob Ford, seriously? 8O

Poutine is awesome, and the Red Green Show was fun while it still aired, but you're NOT going to avoid US politics and popular culture by living here. We watch all the same movies and TV shows, and we talk about their politics almost as much as we talk about our own, which is a lot. I don't even live close to the border either, which is rare considering that most Canadians do.

what do you think about American puritanism?

It's f*****g stupid, and unfortunately it's somewhat prevalent here as well, though thankfully not as much as in the US.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

19 Sep 2014, 2:28 am

mr_bigmouth_502 wrote:
auntblabby wrote:
mr_bigmouth_502 wrote:
I keep hearing about bagged milk but I never actually see it. I've never seen it in Alberta, and I haven't seen it in BC the various number of times I've been there either. Apparently it was something that was more prevalent when my parents were growing up.

Evil_Chuck wrote:
So yeah. Um, Canada.

I have nothing against it. I love poutine and the Red Green Show. It would be interesting to live there, free of the U.S.' obnoxious politics and popular culture.

Toronto worries me, however. Way too much American influence going on in there. And Rob Ford, seriously? 8O

Poutine is awesome, and the Red Green Show was fun while it still aired, but you're NOT going to avoid US politics and popular culture by living here. We watch all the same movies and TV shows, and we talk about their politics almost as much as we talk about our own, which is a lot. I don't even live close to the border either, which is rare considering that most Canadians do.

It's f*****g stupid, and unfortunately it's somewhat prevalent here as well, though thankfully not as much as in the US.

last time I was able to watch Canadian [CBC, CTV] broadcast TV, I noticed none of the namby-pamby fuzzing out of naughty bits nor bleeping of profanities. they seem to have a higher respect for their viewers' intelligence than do American broadcasters.

James_Ladrang
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

09 Oct 2014, 9:24 pm

BeggingTurtle wrote:
Just visited Canada to see relatives. I also liked how they use the metric system!

My turn to visit Canada to see relatives. How come Subway don't do a 15cm sub or a 30cm-long?

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

09 Oct 2014, 9:35 pm

James_Ladrang wrote:
BeggingTurtle wrote:
Just visited Canada to see relatives. I also liked how they use the metric system!

My turn to visit Canada to see relatives. How come Subway don't do a 15cm sub or a 30cm-long?

some metric things do not make for a snappy turn of phrase. for example, a 12 inch sub [sounds like it] beats a 15 centimeter sub by a kountry kilometer. IOW 15 centimeters doesn't sound as big for some reason.

mr_bigmouth_502
Veteran
Veteran

10 Oct 2014, 7:12 am

auntblabby wrote:
mr_bigmouth_502 wrote:
auntblabby wrote:
mr_bigmouth_502 wrote:

Evil_Chuck wrote:
So yeah. Um, Canada.

last time I was able to watch Canadian [CBC, CTV] broadcast TV, I noticed none of the namby-pamby fuzzing out of naughty bits nor bleeping of profanities. they seem to have a higher respect for their viewers' intelligence than do American broadcasters.

That's one thing I'll give Canadian broadcasters credit for, instead of censoring the good stuff, they'll just show some viewer discretion warnings and leave it at that. :P

auntblabby wrote:
James_Ladrang wrote:
BeggingTurtle wrote:

some metric things do not make for a snappy turn of phrase. for example, a 12 inch sub [sounds like it] beats a 15 centimeter sub by a kountry kilometer. IOW 15 centimeters doesn't sound as big for some reason.

Like I mentioned earlier, we still use the Imperial system for a lot of things. Cooking, and food preparation as a whoie, is one of the main ones. Our sandwiches and pizzas are all measured in inches, and I've never been to a restaurant where they measured in centimetres.

James_Ladrang
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

10 Oct 2014, 10:48 pm

I like the way pedestrians are allowed to cross the road at intersections where there are no traffic lights. Have a nice day, wherever you are.

mr_bigmouth_502
Veteran
Veteran

10 Oct 2014, 11:09 pm

Really? I heard that it was unsafe to cross the street in Quebec without using the lights, as the motorists there have no regard for pedestrians. That could just be Montreal though, I don't know. I know that here in Alberta, you can cross a street anytime, anywhere without too many issues. Many people here jaywalk without even giving it a thought.

rapidroy
Veteran
Veteran

11 Oct 2014, 12:13 am

auntblabby wrote:
James_Ladrang wrote:
BeggingTurtle wrote:

It would confuse the heck out of people if an American saw the Canadian ad or the other way around. The problem of thousands of people seeing ads not directed at them yet having access to the business. $5 foot long just has a nice ring to it too, a foot is bigger then an inch and centimetre.

DeuceKaboose
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

13 Oct 2014, 9:56 pm

jk1 wrote:
This thread seems to have already been derailed. Or maybe the OP didn't really intend to talk about Canada any way.

I just wanted to say I'd love to visit Canada in the future. I believe it's very cold in winter there. So I'd go there in summer. Most people here on WP only say nice things about Canada. I don't see Canadian people on WP complain about their country.

I've met a few Canadian people IRL and they speak with a very nice accent.

I didn't know they used the metric system there. I thought they would follow the USA ways in most things.

It gets insanely humid during the summer here, i would advise you come during the spring or fall

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

13 Oct 2014, 10:05 pm

DeuceKaboose wrote:
jk1 wrote:
This thread seems to have already been derailed. Or maybe the OP didn't really intend to talk about Canada any way. I just wanted to say I'd love to visit Canada in the future. I believe it's very cold in winter there. So I'd go there in summer. Most people here on WP only say nice things about Canada. I don't see Canadian people on WP complain about their country. I've met a few Canadian people IRL and they speak with a very nice accent. I didn't know they used the metric system there. I thought they would follow the USA ways in most things.

It gets insanely humid during the summer here, i would advise you come during the spring or fall

what part of Canada is "here"?

mr_bigmouth_502
Veteran
Veteran

14 Oct 2014, 2:58 am

I'm guessing the Okanagan region of BC, either that or southern Ontario. Those are the two most humid regions I can think of. I like humid weather though, it's a nice change from the overly-dry atmosphere we have in Alberta.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

14 Oct 2014, 3:11 am

mr_bigmouth_502 wrote:
I'm guessing the Okanagan region of BC, either that or southern Ontario. Those are the two most humid regions I can think of. I like humid weather though, it's a nice change from the overly-dry atmosphere we have in Alberta.

couldn't be any more humid than south Puget sound.

James_Ladrang
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

18 Oct 2014, 3:00 pm

mr_bigmouth_502 wrote:
Really? I heard that it was unsafe to cross the street in Quebec without using the lights, as the motorists there have no regard for pedestrians. That could just be Montreal though, I don't know. I know that here in Alberta, you can cross a street anytime, anywhere without too many issues.

This is what I saw crossing the street in Montréal ...

[img]docs.google.com/file/d/0BwaUWSSBSeW9anV2aERZOWJhVTg/edit?usp=docslist_api[/img]

(If the link works - first attempt at loading a pic.)

Last edited by James_Ladrang on 19 Oct 2014, 3:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

18 Oct 2014, 3:56 pm

James_Ladrang wrote:
mr_bigmouth_502 wrote:
Really? I heard that it was unsafe to cross the street in Quebec without using the lights, as the motorists there have no regard for pedestrians. That could just be Montreal though, I don't know. I know that here in Alberta, you can cross a street anytime, anywhere without too many issues.

This is what I saw crossing the street in Montréal ...

(If the link works - first attempt at loading a pic.)

that's a big-assed truck :o