A dormant special interest awakens - what's your longest?

Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ] 

2wheels4ever
Veteran
Veteran

06 Oct 2014, 12:05 am

In the process of gathering songs to make a CD for someone I found a song I heard the last time I went roller skating - in 1986! For the past several weeks I have been obsessively searching for a reasonably-priced (to me) pair of quad skates and have been already mentally adjusting my finances to justify paying rink session fees at one of the 2 nearby rinks that still exist. To a lesser degree I have been getting interested in skateboarding again as well, though I've probably fiending more on data in the sense that I've searched and binge-watched the 3 Bones Brigade videos that matter and pored over sites paying tribute to defunct skateparks I've never attended. For 3/4 of my time in high school though I was like what Hendrix must have been like - instead of me carrying a guitar around. I could probably have myself back on a board tomorrow; if it weren't for that World Industries came out with today's double-kicktailed skinny little popsicle sticks with proportionally tiny rock-hard wheels that sets the standard back in the 90s - dark days on so many levels. Even still, the way skateboards are made today doesn't help kids on any sharper learning curve, as I bore witness to earlier today. I've been glad to learn I'm not alone on that particular rant however. All in all a setup like the ones I used to have are probably more accessible than finding a good pair of skates though, but it might end up costing triple the amount as it did BITD. Does anyone have an interest that went away for a long time and end up coming back full-bore?

Jory
Veteran
Veteran

06 Oct 2014, 3:22 am

I go through phases with my interests/obsessions. They seem to last about a month or two at a time and then they're gone for a year or so.

Campin_Cat
Veteran
Veteran

06 Oct 2014, 10:57 am

Yeah, that's pretty much me too----what Jory said!

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

06 Oct 2014, 10:02 pm

I've been enthralled by the original London Routemaster since I was 5 years old. That special interest came back in the December of 2005, it faded in the January of 2007 and than it came back in the September of 2009. I've decided at that point that it's a very good interest for me to have, so I've decided to keep it. It goes quite nicely with my love for The Kinks and my favourite part of the 60s.

Kiprobalhato
Veteran
Veteran

06 Oct 2014, 11:13 pm

my interests usually last for about a year or two and they never come back. i'm fickle by nature and i am not very good at making decisions.
i remember being obsessed with playing the piano staring in mid 2011 through june 2012 and i was one of the teachers best students, as a result being loaded with tons of homework. i'm not sure why it went away but i think having to play in a concert against my will was a big factor. (i did not want to do it then, but now i see it as one of my best moments.)
this came back in august of 2013, and since my old teacher moved away to san diego i arranged to see a new one but we never got around to it. it faded again quickly after that. for good, it seems like.

my longest and broadest interest will likely have to be pathology.

לא לדעת כלום
וזה הכל אהובי, זה הכל.

ajpd1989
Veteran
Veteran

07 Oct 2014, 12:59 am

Most of my obsessions last for 3-12 months then fade suddenly. Sometimes they come back strongly about a year to a year and a half later, sometimes not.
As far as interests that went away a long time (relative to a year) before coming back, Legos and Pokemon cards are the only two I can think of (about 8 years and 13 years respectively).

My longest lasting interest/obsession is definitely bicycles. About 21 years straight, so far, and it only got stronger in the process of building the bike I have now from a bare frame. I'm pretty sure I know way more than any person could ever possibly need to know about bikes.

Skilpadde
Veteran
Veteran

08 Oct 2014, 7:15 am

My obsessions come and go, while my interests remain the same for the most part, but I cycle through them at irregular intervals. My special interest has been turtles since I was about 14 years old. I'm now 37.

love you and miss you, dear boy

Stop the wolf kills! https://www.thepetitionsite.com/takeact ... 3091429765

MONKEY
Veteran
Veteran

08 Oct 2014, 9:23 am

Mine come and go, I sometimes have breaks that last a few months-over a year, then some new piece of information or film/tv show that will rekindle the flame.
A few months ago I'd left the Asian and American food culture interest behind as I'd ran out of recipes to read and everything was just repeats. Then there was all this promo stuff released about Dawn of the Planet Of The Apes and that sent me plummeting back into the great apes obsession. That seems to be lasting the longest for me apart from mermaids which has waxed and waned since I was little, the apes have been making an appearance since I was 16. Often, when a rebound special interest has worn out, the apes one always feels like a welcome reunion. Like mermaids it feels like it's my true calling almost, I feel the most motivation, inspiration and productivity from this particular passion.
I've got a volunteer job at Twycross Zoo hopefully by November, I've been going to Chester and Twycross zoo every couple of weeks which gets me out the house, doing lots of drawing and poetry which I hadn't done for years (my past interest in furries has come back too, so I've been drawing little comics about bonobo characters.)