Is there anybody here who won't/can't drive?

Page 2 of 3 [ 46 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

27 Oct 2014, 5:10 pm

I don't drive, I probably could drive some but certainly not if I am stressed or overwhelmed since that makes certain issues I have worse that could interfere with driving. But regardless I cannot afford to get a vehicle let alone put gas in it so its not an option anyways.

Kiprobalhato
Veteran
Veteran

27 Oct 2014, 5:59 pm

Krabo wrote:
It starts no matter what weather.
It's electrical system is copied from that used it tanks.
There is no inbuilt computer.
Its nuts and bolts have millimeter gauge.
You don't need a road. It goes in the woods.
You can fill her up with any sort of gas; the carburettor accepts them all. White petrol, if you like.
You cannot be locked outside. You can open its doors by a kick.
No one steals it.

that's not all, i assume...

i do not have a license yet, i am still learning but i have never had a problem with driving yet. nothing too overwhelming but my range naturally is very limited. parallel parking is excruciating. i tried once, in a crowded gym parking lot (they were having a handball tournament or whatever), took up two spaces and my dad who was with me saved the day.

i always have to adjust the steering wheel when i get in after him because he is tiny.

i'm going to inherit his car, it's a black 2007 toyota tacoma, crew cab. the insurance for a new driver is too much for a new driver it seems.

לא לדעת כלום
וזה הכל אהובי, זה הכל.

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

27 Oct 2014, 11:52 pm

Me. I know I'm only 14, but with my lack of sense of direction and dyspraxia etc plus times when I go catatonic or meltdown from sensory overload , there's a good chance I'll never be able to drive.

MakaylaTheAspie
Veteran
Veteran

Location: O'er the land of the so-called free and the home of the self-proclaimed brave. (Oregon)

28 Oct 2014, 12:26 am

I have my license, but driving gives me anxiety and I honestly try to avoid it as much as I can. :lol:

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

29 Oct 2014, 7:43 pm

When I was in my late teens-early 20s I refused to drive, but my parents forced me to practice more on the way to and from my work when they picked me up. Eventually I got my license so I wouldn't be inconveniencing them any longer. Driving was overwhelming at first, a constant source of friction with my parents and I hated it. It made me cry and tremble and feel like vomiting. Even after I got used to it I hated it for a few more years.

Then I had an accident and lost my car, which forced me to live with a crazy, needy girl so I could get to work on foot.
Within a few weeks I bought a new car, learned to drive a manual and moved back to the relative sanity of my parents home. I fell in love with driving my relatively sporty manual car compared to driving a heavier automatic car. I started to get obsessed with driving since it was so much funner. I love driving more than virtually any other activity I can think of.

Now I'm looking to find a Civic or Integra shell to use as the basis for a cheap 2wd rally car. Because driving is better when you go sideways. 8)

Prof_Pretorius
Veteran
Veteran

29 Oct 2014, 8:33 pm

I got my license as soon as I was old enough. I enjoy driving, except for idiots. Learning to drive can be difficult. Its best to go somewhere you can't run into anything. Have someone teach you who doesn't panic easily. Keep practicing until you feel confident enough to take the test. My major difficulty is being able to judge the distance and speed of oncoming cars when pulling out into traffic. (Is this common among us ??) Aside from that I enjoy driving, the Missus and I are preparing right now for a 300 mile vacation trip.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

29 Oct 2014, 8:48 pm

I guess because I have spatial-visual problems, and I live in New York City, I didn't get my drivers license until I was 37.

I tried and failed my drivers test at around age 32-33. I took many lessons.

I didn't really learn to drive until I was behind the wheel with no one else with me, and I had to take a car somewhere for a friend. Yes, I was driving without a license at the time.

I drive okay, but I'm pretty cautious. I'm able to drive as fast as other people on the highway. I have problems on tight roads, though. When I change lanes, I have to look longer than most people. I think I'm an okay parallel parker, but not a really good one. I have real problems in tight garage-type places.

Krabo
Veteran
Veteran

29 Oct 2014, 10:15 pm

Volga.

[img][400:300]http://i1330.photobucket.com/albums/w564/zorrrannn/2013%20Masterpiece%20part%202/100_7417_zps1cbb8e02.jpg[/img]

Kiprobalhato
Veteran
Veteran

29 Oct 2014, 10:34 pm

i need to attach an odometer to my bike.

לא לדעת כלום
וזה הכל אהובי, זה הכל.

Krabo
Veteran
Veteran

29 Oct 2014, 10:37 pm

Kip. Know what? I like you.

wisenupjanetweiss
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

30 Oct 2014, 12:25 am

I don't know if I'll ever drive, but I kind of want to.

I have mild seizures, difficulty focusing (I zone out), blackouts, I am visually impaired, and I may have dyspraxia (at very least, I have poor fine and gross motor skills)

However, these needn't necessarily affect my driving ability, it's going to have to be one of those things I get assessed on.

But anyways, I'm going to be 18 shortly, and I still don't have my permit, nor do I know when/if I'll get one.

Veteran
Veteran

30 Oct 2014, 5:07 am

I drive 22 wheelers for a living in the rocky mountains.

But I get such bad anxiety I can't eat a small bite of a food I've never had before.

Our anxieties vary, what is extreme anxiety for some is theraputic for others. I love driving, especially at night, it's relaxing. Even more so with great music.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

30 Oct 2014, 7:01 am

Hey 886, ever watch "Ice Road Truckers?"

Transyl
Veteran
Veteran

02 Nov 2014, 11:18 am

KyleTheGhost wrote:
I'm too uncomfortable with it. I think it is better if I just don't. Best way to handle an accident is to stop it from happening altogether.
Same. I'm afraid of an accident.

equestriatola
Veteran
Veteran

Location: Half of me is in the Washington state, the other Los Angeles.

02 Nov 2014, 11:47 am

While this thread asks about who doesn't drive, I do it. I have no problems whatsoever with it. I feel cool, calm and collective when doing it.

The Canadian Football League - What We're Made Of

Feel free to talk to me, if you wish. :)

Every day is a gift- cherish it!

"A true, true friend helps a friend in need."

FracturedRocket
Veteran
Veteran

11 Nov 2014, 6:59 pm

Ever since I got into a car accident, I have absolutely refused to drive. I just won't do it.