what do people get from these "count to" games?

Page 1 of 2 [ 19 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

khaoz
Veteran
Veteran

28 Oct 2014, 12:35 am

I mean, more power to you if you play these games but I just don't understand the appeal? Where is the challenge? What is the point?

Kiprobalhato
Veteran
Veteran

28 Oct 2014, 12:40 am

i don't mind the tug of war games, but the "man vs woman" one is pretty much a standard counting thread. :lol:

לא לדעת כלום
וזה הכל אהובי, זה הכל.

jk1
Veteran
Veteran

28 Oct 2014, 2:56 am

It's easy to kind of interact with other people without having to say anything funny or clever. It gives you a sense of participating in something. I would rather participate in counting threads than just random conversation threads because I have no idea how to respond appropriately to other people's posts in conversation threads. There are many threads that don't appeal to me at all everywhere on WP but many people post in those threads. I guess people are different. All threads exist for a reason.

syzygyish
Veteran
Veteran

28 Oct 2014, 6:59 am

jk1 wrote:
It's easy to kind of interact with other people without having to say anything funny or clever. It gives you a sense of participating in something. I would rather participate in counting threads than just random conversation threads because I have no idea how to respond appropriately to other people's posts in conversation threads. There are many threads that don't appeal to me at all everywhere on WP but many people post in those threads. I guess people are different. All threads exist for a reason.

I mean, more power to you if you play these games but I just don't understand the appeal? Where is the challenge? What is the point?

Being Aspy results in a fundamental loneliness
posting **** sometimes assuages this
in the short term

:(

in the long term

:(

Skilpadde
Veteran
Veteran

28 Oct 2014, 7:11 am

khaoz wrote:

Quite frankly I don't get them either. I've only played them when waiting for reply in other games TBH.

No offense whatsoever to those who like them.

love you and miss you, dear boy

Stop the wolf kills! https://www.thepetitionsite.com/takeact ... 3091429765

downbutnotout
Veteran
Veteran

28 Oct 2014, 10:20 am

I assume players have some fundamental social wiring that I lack. I've never liked social games, whether it's small talk or idle banter, because it just feels like making noise together in the same location.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

28 Oct 2014, 11:16 am

Skilpadde wrote:
khaoz wrote:

Quite frankly I don't get them either. I've only played them when waiting for reply in other games TBH.

ditto. Bowren as hell to just "count by threes" or whatever.

Though I like that thread in which you have to post the next number as part of a photo you find on line ( road signs, movie marquees, etc).

Toy_Soldier
Veteran
Veteran

28 Oct 2014, 11:59 am

Most games don't really have a point. They are just pleasant or at least neutral pastimes. I think some ASD people might get more enjoyment out of numbers games for the sense of order or sequences that some of us find appealing. And it is something to do, that is easy when you come on WP and don't find anything else more interesting to post in. I don't actually do them as I usually find something to post, but I could see doing so.

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

28 Oct 2014, 12:53 pm

I say the ''say something rude to the poster above you'' ones pointless. Once I created a rhyming game on the Off The Wall topic, and nobody replied, so after several weeks of no reply I deleted the thread. :(

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

Location: was Louisiana but now Vermont in the police state called USA

28 Oct 2014, 2:14 pm

They increase their post count.

"Hear all, trust nothing"
~Ferengi Rule Of Acquisition #190
https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Ru ... cquisition

babybird
Veteran
Veteran

28 Oct 2014, 3:10 pm

For me personally, I go through phases where I play the counting games. I enjoy adding up and subtracting, so once I get caught up in the games it's hard for me to pull away.

I don't think it's all about the post count, but it can make ones post count go through the roof.

modernmax
Veteran
Veteran

28 Oct 2014, 3:28 pm

jk1 wrote:

Except for the thread that was made for no reason. Althought the reason it was made was to exist for no reason sooo... I guess that one technically has a reason too.

Skilpadde
Veteran
Veteran

28 Oct 2014, 10:04 pm

nick007 wrote:

I don't play the counting games, but I play a lot of other games in the Off the wall section. I do so because I think they're fun. If WP had a system where people wouldn't increase their post count by participating in games, I would still play them.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

29 Oct 2014, 12:21 am

nick007 wrote:

But why for that reason?

Does having a high post count impress anyone?

If you post alot- it causes me to cross paths with you alot on WP- and causes me to be aware of you as a person. But I dont look at the number of the person's posts and assign status to the person because its a big number like its a score board. Does anyone actually do that?

In fact if its too high it kinda makes me think they dont have a life ( like if their post count approches 8000 they must be some kinda dork!).

Skilpadde
Veteran
Veteran

29 Oct 2014, 12:48 am

naturalplastic wrote:

If you post alot- it causes me to cross paths with you alot on WP- and causes me to be aware of you as a person. But I dont look at the number of the person's posts and assign status to the person because its a big number like its a score board. Does anyone actually do that?

Yes and yes.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

29 Oct 2014, 7:53 am

Skilpadde wrote:
naturalplastic wrote:

Yes and yes.